Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #375 on: July 02, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »

Evening, men.  Thunderstorms are a-coming.  Exile Perfection No. 2 rosado from the land before time.  Back when JR and I split them in 09 or 10, I think.

« Reply #376 on: July 02, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »

Evening, men.  Thunderstorms are a-coming.  Exile Perfection No. 2 rosado from the land before time.  Back when JR and I split them in 09 or 10, I think.
Evening, Will.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

back from the eye doctor, almost 3 hour appointment, and I hate it when the dilate my eyes. hot Italian sausage going on the gril and a Partagas Black I picked up at Baroody's B&M while in the city. Gatorade grape on the side.
spent 7 hours with my daughter at the eye doctors today. News was not great. Surgery will be needed and laser treatments for the other eye. She's taking it well.
Long day for y'all for sure but at least there is an apparent solution.
rental detachment in one eye that will need surgery just to stabilize the eye. The damage is permanent. The other eye will be treated with laser to avoid further degeneration.
sorry to hear that. glad she's taking it well.
I drew a new doctor who found numerous typos in my history. previous doctor apparently didn't think it was important to let me know I've had cataracts since 2006 and they've been slowly getting worse, oh and I'm at the point that I need to throw my readers away and get real corrective lenses.......next year.
It's just one thing after another right now, innit?  Sheesh.  Hang in there.
story of my life. no big deal.
Funny, that's what I'd say too.
no big deal I was assured it's typical for my age. ha.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #378 on: July 02, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »

Pre-light aroma is a syrupy sweet tobacco, touch of spice . Smells like a much more expensive cigar than it is.  Kinda a rough wrapper, though.

Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »

As I recall, these had problems with the burn and draw for the bulb, but once they got passed that and were going, they had a strong ash and were fairly well rolled.  For the rosado, at least.  The Maduro never burned right.

And this one has the same lack of draw/smoke, though it is slowly burning.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #380 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »

my whole fucking CI is now backordered! WTF. originally it was only the JdN Dream Team Sampler. fucking bastards.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:57 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #382 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
very well made, very smooth, after the first 1/2" the bitter finish has gone. Oily nutty smoke. It's getting better.

« Reply #383 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #384 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:52 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.

Agreed.

I haven't had a bad Opus.  Not all of them have had absolute perfect burns or anything like that, but they've all been very high quality cigars.

A few singles, at MSRP?  Sure, why not.  All the craziness that surrounds them and inflated prices and all that?  Yeah, it can fuck off.  And at that price point, you're basically dealing with any cigar you want. So Limited Editions Cubans or maybe Double Coronas for less per stick is the way I'd go if I really wanted to drop $10+ on each cigar.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:21 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.

« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.

Agreed.

I haven't had a bad Opus.  Not all of them have had absolute perfect burns or anything like that, but they've all been very high quality cigars.

A few singles, at MSRP?  Sure, why not.  All the craziness that surrounds them and inflated prices and all that?  Yeah, it can fuck off.  And at that price point, you're basically dealing with any cigar you want. So Limited Editions Cubans or maybe Double Coronas for less per stick is the way I'd go if I really wanted to drop $10+ on each cigar.
Amen.

« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.
Fortunately, I wasn't talking about having sex with your wife.  :D
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/2/2014
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

As I recall, these had problems with the burn and draw for the bulb, but once they got passed that and were going, they had a strong ash and were fairly well rolled.  For the rosado, at least.  The Maduro never burned right.

And this one has the same lack of draw/smoke, though it is slowly burning.

And it opened up and is smoking very nicely now.  Medium bodied, fairly strong core flavor.  Syrupy/molasses type sweetness, a strong/focused cinnamon type spiciness, woody/nutty/light coffee? tobacco.  No peppery notes, really.   Despite the sweetness on the inhale, the end result is a more savory smoke due to the general spiciness.

Reminds me of the Partagas Spanish Rosado a bit.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »

My fist one ever......had it in the humi lose to 3 years. Starting out ok, but not sure I get all the love this cigar gets.
I think they're very good cigars...and I wouldn't pay the price they command.  Which is to say I agree with you, I think.  There are just too many superb cigars I can get for less than an Opus X, and the Opus X just wasn't so magical that I felt the price was justified.

For that price, a cigar would have to make me consider smoking it instead of having sex with the missus.  Haven't found such a cigar yet.  The Opus X wasn't it.
all my cigars are better than having sex with my wife. she was like a bank, lucky to get quarterly deposits.
Fortunately, I wasn't talking about having sex with your wife.  :D
LMAO.