CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: 6/29/2014  (Read 45013 times)

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
Re: 6/29/2014
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »

That looks like a very nice cigar ! . Ken I want one LOL .

They're still pretty fresh tasting.  5.5x40 or so, former machine made now a hand rolled tripa corta.  The picture doesn't show it, but it is a bit lumpy and has a few soft spots.   

Flavor wise, lots of fresh pepper.  Buried under that is a coffee core and some woody accents/aroma.  If I smoke it real, real slow, the pepper is kept in check and it a medium bodied, peppery/coffee/woody/slightly sweet smoke.  If I smoke it a little faster than that, it is all PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER other flavors PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER. 
Will's a pepper!

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »

I smoked a very good cigar last night , J.L.Salazar, a gift from fine a BOTL Will . it had about 3or 4 years rest and it was GOOD .Green tea , leather Some floral  notes creamy smoke . a very nice cigar , thank you Will ! .

Glad someone likes to smoke cigars around here.  Mostly just me and Oy-dave complaining anymore.
no complaints today Will.
Dave how was that RYJ? .
/
id say 90. It had transitions, twists and turns, it got very close to going over the edge to the 95 range, but being so mild it was close but didn't have the punch to take it over the top.
That said, I'm happy I have more on the way.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »

Well Mexico is out now I hope the Ticos can make it.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »

They're still pretty fresh tasting.  5.5x40 or so, former machine made now a hand rolled tripa corta.  The picture doesn't show it, but it is a bit lumpy and has a few soft spots.   

Flavor wise, lots of fresh pepper.  Buried under that is a coffee core and some woody accents/aroma.  If I smoke it real, real slow, the pepper is kept in check and it a medium bodied, peppery/coffee/woody/slightly sweet smoke.  If I smoke it a little faster than that, it is all PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER other flavors PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER. 
Will's a pepper!
wouldn't you want to be a pepper too?

dogdays

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »

Will's a pepper!
LOL ! .

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

Well Mexico is out now I hope the Ticos can make it.
What happened to Mexico?   You could come to the Texas Valley, never know the difference except you don't need a passport and can bring your guns.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

Will's a pepper!
Years ago, we used to have a Doctor here in Belleville that had a glass throat.  This is true, you could see right through it.  I believe his name was, Dr. Pepper.

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • It tastes like a cigar.
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »

Courtesy of GK, an Upmann Regalias

they are, I soldo got some of the coronas en tubo. All very smokable and enjoyable

Burn is a bit wonky, but it has been correcting itself.  Not nearly so peppery after the first inch or so, backed off.  Coffee/woody, some leathery notes.  Some spiciness (cinnamon?) in the background, but the pepper assault has kinda dulled some senses.  I have 1 more and I figure I'll let it rest until late fall or maybe next year.  Tastes like it has plenty of potential. 

dwgbryant

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »

MF toro and water. a very comfortable 87° in the shade with a nice lake breeze.

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

Will's a pepper!
Years ago, we used to have a Doctor here in Belleville that had a glass throat.  This is true, you could see right through it.  I believe his name was, Dr. Pepper.

His slacker cousin was named Mr. Pibb.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »

Will's a pepper!

His slacker cousin was named Mr. Pibb.
Geez, I sure wish I had a 6 pack of Billy Beer...!  I drank all of mine..

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

That sounds like a nice way to spend your Sunday afternoon.

dwgbryant

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »

been a relaxing day all around BD. ain't done a damn thing.

Bad Dad

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Cigar Tycoon
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

been a relaxing day all around BD. ain't done a damn thing.
Me too, unless cooking and doing dishes count...  Even as I speak, the wife is wondering the house 1/2 asleep asking what I'm cooking for dinner.  So, it looks like we're having dinner early.. :)

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »

Courtesy of GK, an Upmann Regalias

they are, I soldo got some of the coronas en tubo. All very smokable and enjoyable

Burn is a bit wonky, but it has been correcting itself.  Not nearly so peppery after the first inch or so, backed off.  Coffee/woody, some leathery notes.  Some spiciness (cinnamon?) in the background, but the pepper assault has kinda dulled some senses.  I have 1 more and I figure I'll let it rest until late fall or maybe next year.  Tastes like it has plenty of potential. 

Since the 2nd inch or so it's been getting better and better.  Flavors aren't as defined as I'd like, but hey, young budget cigar is a young budget cigar.  Some more time and it will develop.  But a generally spicy tobacco, dark coffee, woody, leathery smoke.  Getting pretty rich   now that I'm in the second half.  I imagine a box of these would age quite nicely. 

Comparing it to the Quintero Londres Extra, my go-to $2 smoke budget Cuban... 

The Upmann has a much prettier wrapper.  Construction seems about the same, which is to say good enough.  The Upmann is stronger, seems darker/heavier/more pepper.  I imagine it will age better in the long term, though how by how much is a complete guess.   

The Quinteros have a kinda grassy/citrus/woody slightly sweet tobacco flavor to start and shift into a dark coffee/espresso/woody with peppery notes finish.  The better ones get pretty rich and full by the nub, the not so better ones don't.  I wouldn't call them inconsistent, since the flavors and progression has been the same across the box.  More like wild in the strike zone.  It's mixed filler, so variation is bound to happen. 

I wonder how much the Regalias varies across a box.  Maybe I just got a more peppery/strong one for my first smoke?  I've had one or two Quinteros be quite a bit more peppery than the norm, out of the first ~20 I've smoked.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18