Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »

I really like the sweetness of the Cameroon in the Hemingway, but that may classify as flavored so don't tell KC.-----BYS-----I really enjoy Cammies.  But don't worry, nobody told me what you said.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »

Oliva nubbed. calling it a night.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »

Jet lag got my daughter, that was one long flight. Give me time to enjoy a smoke. Good evening to ya.

You pipe guy?
just learning
started with this gifted EO, but wasn't into it, so I got the pipe for a quick smoke. I prefer cigars but for 20 min smoke it's nice to have the pipe.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »

Oliva nubbed. calling it a night.

See ya, dean. A new day ahead.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »

Early flavor profile:  Dry.  Kinda scratchy black pepper on the back of the throat (Mexican binder might need some more downtime, methinks).  Some cedary notes, not really specific, along with cocoa notes.   Slight lingering sweetness on the finish.  Every now and then I get a little bit of that Cameroon twist but really, not much.

It isn't a bad cigar.  Very nice construction and aroma.  But I'm thinking I should have let it rest another week or two before I had my "fresh" sample even though it passed the pinch/smell test.  Will have to see how the rest of the smoke goes.

Turning around.  Still a fairly dry smoke, but the pepper is subsiding and some more sweetness and saltiness is coming through.  Softed cedar notes.  Floral/herbal note showed up, too.  Overall the flavor profile is cleaning up, showing some more Cameroon (not a lot, though) and balance.

Around the middway point a big blast of Nicaraguan core flavors.  Jump in body and flavor strength, big bold espresso, cocoa, and the pepper doesn't seem nearly as out of place as it did earlier.  Almost no Cameroon notes now.

Yeah, I'm thinking this will be a much more coherent smoke in a month.  Kinda bizarro right now.
Logged

Oyam18

  • El Matador del Banter
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

I saw that, Oy Dave.  Best prices for the Entubar is still cigarplace.biz.  Today's email had 50% off CRV Double Coronas (so like $85 a box?) and the rest of the B&A line still work with the old 40% off code, wcdis.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »

Time to drag up. See y'all later.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »

Time to drag up. See y'all later.

Adios.
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »

It isn't a bad cigar.  Very nice construction and aroma.  But I'm thinking I should have let it rest another week or two before I had my "fresh" sample even though it passed the pinch/smell test.  Will have to see how the rest of the smoke goes.-----Will-----I had a Nirvana CG a couple weeks ago, sent to me by TD. It was fabulous.  I'm sure it had significant resting time, knowing mutt.  I have another, when I fire it up I'll let you know.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »

[...]

Still pretty bizarro.  Backed off of the strong Nicaraguan flavors a bit and has kinda been building back up in a more expected Mexican/Nicaraguan flavor profile.  Still a bit rough on the back of the throat with the pepper, but otherwise, a dry earthy/cocoa smoke with some slight nutty sweetness and some cedar accents.

The slight lingering sweetness, aroma, and occasional "odd" flavor remind me that it's a Cameroon.  Odd in that it isn't the expected flavor that this sort of binder/fillers usually come with, not that it is bad.    If ever something made me interested in doing a Frankengar test, it would be the Nirvana.  I wonder how a good Mexican maduro wrapper, CT Broadleaf, or Nic Habano/Corojo/etc would reshape this smoke.

And that could all be pointless musings because this might just be too fresh.  Guess I'll find out in a few weeks.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #341 on: June 25, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

It isn't a bad cigar.  Very nice construction and aroma.  But I'm thinking I should have let it rest another week or two before I had my "fresh" sample even though it passed the pinch/smell test.  Will have to see how the rest of the smoke goes.-----Will-----I had a Nirvana CG a couple weeks ago, sent to me by TD. It was fabulous.  I'm sure it had significant resting time, knowing mutt.  I have another, when I fire it up I'll let you know.

KC, it taste like good tobacco that is too fresh.  My experience is that Mexican tobacco responds poorly to being too dry much more than others--and that's where I'm thinking the big globs of scratchy black pepper were coming form early on.

I kinda figured this was meant to be an alternative to the Don Carlos--a strong Cameroon, bold flavors but distinctly Cameroon...and yeah, that didn't happen.  Even knowing the Drew Estate "flair" for innovation I didn't think it would be this innovative.

Having said that, the final third/nub has been the best part of the smoke.  Getting some bold, strong, clean flavors with a bit more Cammy notes.  And top notch construction.  Smoking it slow and getting ample smoke, even burn, excellent draw.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »

Good evening to all .
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/25/2014
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:29 PM »

Evening, DD.  Just nubbed that Nirvana.  Around 2 hours taking it very slow.  Now for that Tat Havana VI.
Logged

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

Don't even compare that Nirvana to a Don Carlos!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25