« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »

My wife stopped at the convenience store and purchased something for $11.11.  She gave the girl $11.00 plus a quarter and a penny.  The girl looked at the twenty six cents, and then called a supervisor over to help her with the transaction.  The girl apologized to my wife by saying, "I'm sorry, I majored in English, not mathematics...!"
WOW...and she also graduated and works at a convenience store...that's your other hint ;)
Not necessarily these days, plenty of good graduates working at convenience store checkouts and other places where college graduates are not usually found.  If you have not tested it the job market sux in most areas for young graduates.  Now in her case obviously she also does not know that with an english degree you get 6-9 hours of math too, not to speak of the math in elementary school that should cover that complex equation she was dealing with.
I am with you, the job market is still a POS.  I am in an area that's considered 'back to normal' and growing but it's still shitty.  Lot of competition..but like you said, the first mistake was an English major.
Do Chinese students major in Chinese?
Austin is a strong job market with one of the lowest major city unemployment rates in the country - sounds great but outside of the computer industry most of the jobs are service industry, restaurant, construction labor and retail clerk type positions.
Very similar here, just add in the oil jobs that most instate people don't want.  Lot of retail jobs here, don't miss those days.

« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »

Workaference.  Fuck me!

« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »

[...]
Strange the locals don't want oil jobs since they have a place to live which is the biggest issue. Hard work but  pay  is good!

« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »

Workaference.  Fuck me!
Bend over and smile.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/20/2014
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

Workaference.  Fuck me!
Workaferencek for me = filling humidifier's in my humidors.

« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »

In trying to say some thing nice to my wife I said, "oh, the drug store tobacco you bought for me was rather nice.."  This morning I woke up to find another half pound of it on the kitchen table.
Thank Her with some nice designer brand french perfume from Ebay.
CVS has perfume...
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/20/2014
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

[...]
My first job offer was from Peabody Coal.  They told me to come on out, the job was mine.  But the very next morning I received a call from Southwestern Bell. They wanted me to come out that day and I was hired on the spot. Boy was I glad, because I sure didn't want to work in the coal mines, which shortly closed down about 8 years later.

« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »

[...]
The pay is fricken insane but the work is crazy.  I think the locals are getting used to it now, but it was a BIG culture shock when it started.  The crime seems to be settling down, but still so overcapacity with the housing shortage.

« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »

« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »

[...]
That's some damn good timing!
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/20/2014
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »

[...]
It's that, "being at the right place at the right time," thing you hear all about.  It's probably about the only time it ever happened to me.

« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »

[...]
Warden works here for a major Bakken operator since the beginning.  Big oil discoveries are nothing new in TX but the Eagle Ford down south of San Antonio is the same way as up there almost, would think they never saw oil before.
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

Oops, missed you Dean, morning 7d!
it's okay Dave, I'm easy to miss.
You have not given us your calendar for today, isn't it your going away party day at the nut house?
yes, the second of three. why they had to be separate is beyond me. the first one was the Addictions staff, this one my boss is putting on with Environmental staff, and Friday is a luncheon with Mental Health staff. fucked up if you ask me.

I worked 30 years with NYSDOT and there were four bosses that celebrated my retirement. THAT was disheartening.
What did you do at the DOT?
managed/supervised Bridge Maintenance summer, Snow & Ice winters. 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week for 27 years. did Emergency Management during every natural disaster in NY/LI.
I work in the highway industry is why I was curious.
I started in Highway Maintenance in '79, Supervisor by '82, Bridge Maintenance in '88 when Schoharie Creed bridge collapsed.
Did you forget righty tighty?
I think his predecessor did, hence the opportunity.
actually the pier footers were exposed to water turbulance and were unsupported. underwater inspections became of age.
I had to Google that.  10 people died.  Accident actually happened in '87.  Pretty fucked up.
yes, but the State didn't get around to extending more Bridge Maintenance crews and Inspections until '88 because they waited for Federal mandates and funding.
the driver of the 18 wheeler that went in was never found.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 8/20/2014
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »

It's time for me to take a little break.  I've got my cigars watered, Petey watered, and the wife feed and off to bed.  Time for me to have a beer, cigar, and a movie.  Later guys...
Logged

dwgbryant

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »

party was nice. package of snacks for the trip, and toiletries. what every man needs.