CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: 9/22/2016  (Read 20518 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
9/22/2016
« on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »

What's up cigar enthusiasts?!  Any cigar deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 9/22/2016
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:30:18 AM »

Charlotte Riots Report:   one rioter shot dead in the head by another rioter, One rioter shot in the ass by cops with a rubber bullet which was too damn funny and tear gas galore.

National guard moved in and slowed things down.

Uptown Charlotte (been there and a very nice area) looks like a war zone this morning with many businesses closed and workers staying home.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:37:28 AM »

Happy Autum Equinox!

Autum (Fall) begins at 10:21 Eastern Time this morning.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:44:40 AM »

September 22 is........ National Ice Cream Cone Day

Ice Cream Cone Day seeks to draw attention to the invention of the ice cream cone; an important, yet sadly often overlooked, invention that allows people to enjoy delicious ice cream combined with a handily portable and edible wafer cone, often whilst out and about. Just imagine what the world would look like without an ice cream cone. No ’99s, ice cream would have to be eaten with a bowl, and ice lollies would dominate!

September 22 is also..........Hobbit Day

September 22nd is the Birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, two characters from J.R.R. Tolkien’s popular Middle Earth Cycle books (The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings respectively) in which Hobbits, typically between two and four feet tall and nothing like your usual ‘hero’, accomplish great feats and amazing acts of courage. It is in honour of these creatures and those acts that the day is celebrated with events not unlike the birthday party described in the beginning of “The Fellowship of the Ring”.

In the United States Hobbit Day has gained some measure of legal dignity due to the elected officials who support the day and the goals of the American Tolkien Society. The Day has also attracted Bipartisan Support from places as the U.S. County Courthouse, to the White House, to the U.S. Capitol.

History
A separate event to Tolkien Week (although the Week will always fall over Hobbit Day, running Sunday to Saturday), Hobbit Day is perhaps the oldest running day celebrated by fans. There is some debate on the date that Hobbit Day should be celebrated on, due to the differences in the Gregorian and Shire calendars. Tolkien once said that the Shire calendar is ahead by about ten days depending on the month. A suggested alternative date by hardcore fans is September 14th. Although the day was not officially designated until 1978 and has had many names and designations, it has been celebrated since 1973, shortly after J.R.R. Tolkien died on September 2nd of that year.

Observances
Fans celebrate by anything from going barefoot all day and having seven meals, to Literary discussions and readings, Lord Of The Rings Movie Marathons, and throwing parties in honour of the ‘Long Awaited Party’ at the start of the Fellowship Of The Ring with events such as feasts, games, costumes and fireworks.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:45 AM »

Seems the Hollywood Commies have turned Jack Bauer into a neutered geek. 

I fell asleep about half way thru the show but have it recorded so I can watch tonight.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 05:54:51 AM »

Time to prepare for work, BBL

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 05:59:42 AM »

I fell asleep about half way thru the show but have it recorded so I can watch tonight.
Neutured geeks are the worst! Morning, Tex.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »

good morning Dave and Dave. not sure what the day will bring. maybe I'll go out and join the riots for all the injustice in this country. or sit and smoke cigars and drink coffee.
Cusano 18 connie robusto and coffee here.

sfish

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »

I have it recorded also, did not attempt to watch it last night but will give it a shot.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 06:43:10 AM »

good morning Dave and Dave. not sure what the day will bring. maybe I'll go out and join the riots for all the injustice in this country. or sit and smoke cigars and drink coffee.
Cusano 18 connie robusto and coffee here.
I believe you made the right choice.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »

Morning CarolinaDave, BrownieDave, Dean and Fishy.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:38 AM »

Today is Thursday, Sept. 22, the 266th day of 2016. There are 100 days left in the year. Autumn arrives at 10:21 a.m. Eastern time.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Sept. 22, 1776, during the Revolutionary War, Capt. Nathan Hale, 21, was hanged as a spy by the British in New York.

On this date:

In 1792, the first French Republic was proclaimed.

In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, declaring all slaves in rebel states should be free as of Jan. 1, 1863.

In 1911, pitcher Cy Young, 44, gained his 511th and final career victory as he hurled a 1-0 shutout for the Boston Rustlers against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Forbes Field.

In 1927, Gene Tunney successfully defended his heavyweight boxing title against Jack Dempsey in the famous "long-count" fight in Chicago.

In 1938, the musical comedy revue "Hellzapoppin'," starring Ole (OH'-lee) Olsen and Chic Johnson, began a three-year run on Broadway.

In 1949, the Soviet Union exploded its first atomic bomb.

In 1950, Omar N. Bradley was promoted to the rank of five-star general, joining an elite group that included Dwight D. Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, George C. Marshall and Henry H. "Hap" Arnold.

In 1964, the musical "Fiddler on the Roof," starring Zero Mostel, opened on Broadway, beginning a run of 3,242 performances. The secret agent series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.," starring Robert Vaughn and David McCallum, premiered on NBC-TV.

In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempted to shoot President Gerald R. Ford outside a San Francisco hotel, but missed. (Moore served 32 years in prison before being paroled on Dec. 31, 2007.)

In 1985, rock and country music artists participated in "Farm Aid," a concert staged in Champaign, Illinois, to help the nation's farmers.

In 1991, the London newspaper The Mail published an interview with former intelligence agent John Cairncross, who admitted being the "fifth man" in the Soviet Union's notorious British spy ring.

In 1996, actress-singer Dorothy Lamour died at her North Hollywood home at age 81.

Ten years ago: A high-speed maglev train crashed in northwestern Germany, killing 23 people in the first fatal wreck involving the high-tech system. Three Christian militants were executed in Indonesia for leading attacks on Muslims in May 2000 that left at least 70 people dead. Hewlett-Packard Co. Chairwoman Patricia Dunn resigned in the wake of the company's ill-fated investigation of boardroom media leaks. Actor Edward Albert died in Malibu, California, at age 55.

Five years ago: A group of European researchers at the world's biggest physics lab in Switzerland claimed to have measured a subatomic particle, a neutrino, traveling faster than the speed of light, a finding that challenged Einstein's theory of relativity (however, the results were refuted by other scientists). American diplomats led a walkout at the U.N. General Assembly as Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (ah-muh-DEE'-neh-zhahd) fiercely attacked the United States and major West European nations as "arrogant powers" ruled by greed and eager for military adventurism. Pope Benedict XVI arrived in Germany on his first state visit to his homeland.

One year ago: Pope Francis arrived from Cuba on the first visit of his life to the United States; President Barack Obama, his wife and daughters personally welcomed the pontiff at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington. Chinese President Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) arrived in Seattle for a three-day visit before heading to Washington. Volkswagen AG acknowledged putting emissions-cheating software in millions of vehicles worldwide. Baseball Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, 90, died in West Caldwell, New Jersey.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 06:47:24 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Baseball Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda is 89. Former NBA Commissioner David Stern is 74. Actor Paul Le Mat is 71. Musician King Sunny Ade (ah-DAY') is 70. Capt. Mark Phillips is 68. Rock singer David Coverdale (Deep Purple, Whitesnake) is 65. Actress Shari Belafonte is 62. Singer Debby Boone is 60. Country singer June Forester (The Forester Sisters) is 60. Singer Nick Cave is 59. Rock singer Johnette Napolitano is 59. Actress Lynn Herring is 59. Classical crossover singer Andrea Bocelli (an-DRAY'-ah boh-CHEL'-ee) is 58. Singer-musician Joan Jett is 58. Actor Scott Baio is 56. Actress Catherine Oxenberg is 55. Actress Bonnie Hunt is 55. Actor Rob Stone is 54. Musician Matt Sharp is 47. Rock musician Dave Hernandez is 46. Rhythm-and-blues singer Big Rube (Society of Soul) is 45. Actress Mireille Enos is 41. Actress Daniella Alonso is 38. Actor Michael Graziadei (GRAHT'-zee-uh-day-ee) is 37. Actress Ashley Drane (Eckstein) is 35. Actress Katie Lowes is 34. Rock musician Will Farquarson (Bastille) is 33. Actress Tatiana Maslany (TV: "Orphan Black") is 31. Actor Tom Felton is 29. Actress Juliette Goglia is 21.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:47:50 AM »

Thought for Today: "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." - George Eliot, English author (1819-1880).

Threebean

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »

Thought for Today: "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." - George Eliot, English author (1819-1880).
A little worked up about the change in season, are we?  Sheesh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15