Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 10:04:38 AM »

Ten years ago: Sixteen Afghan villagers — mostly women and children — were shot dead as they slept by U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Five years ago: Preet Bharara, an outspoken Manhattan federal prosecutor known for crusading against public corruption, announced on his personal Twitter account that he was fired after refusing a request to resign from Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who had asked that leftover appointees of former President Barack Obama leave.

One year ago: In his first prime-time address, President Joe Biden pledged to make all adults eligible for coronavirus vaccines by May. Biden signed into law a $1.9 trillion COVID relief package that he said would help defeat the virus and nurse the economy back to health; Americans would receive up to $1,400 in direct payments, along with extended unemployment benefits. In a poll by The Associated Press and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, about 1 in 5 Americans said they had lost a relative or close friend to the coronavirus. Uber and Lyft said they had teamed up to create a database of drivers ousted from their ride-hailing services for complaints about sexual assault and other crimes.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 10:07:26 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is 91.
Former ABC News correspondent Sam Donaldson is 88.
Musician Flaco Jimenez (FLAH’-koh hee-MEH’-nez) is 83.
Actor Tricia O’Neil is 77.
Actor Mark Metcalf is 76.
Rock singer-musician Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge) is 75.
Singer Bobby McFerrin is 72.
Movie director Jerry Zucker is 72.
Singer Cheryl Lynn is 71.
Actor Susan Richardson is 70.
Recording executive Jimmy Iovine (eye-VEEN’) is 69.
Singer Nina Hagen is 67.
Country singer Jimmy Fortune (The Statler Brothers) is 67.
Actor Elias Koteas (ee-LY’-uhs koh-TAY’-uhs) is 61.
Actor-director Peter Berg is 60.
Singer Mary Gauthier (GOH’-shay) is 60.
Actor Jeffrey Nordling is 60.
Actor Alex Kingston is 59.
Actor Wallace Langham is 57.
Former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., is 57.
Actor John Barrowman is 55.
Singer Lisa Loeb is 54.
Neo-soul musician Al Gamble (St. Paul & the Broken Bones) is 53.
Singer Pete Droge is 53.
Actor Terrence Howard is 53.
Rock musician Rami Jaffee is 53.
Actor Johnny Knoxville is 51.
Rock singer-musicians Benji and Joel Madden (Good Charlotte; The Madden Brothers) are 43.
Actor David Anders is 41.
Singer LeToya Luckett is 41.
Actor Thora Birch is 40.
TV personality Melissa Rycroft is 39.
Actor Rob Brown is 38.
Actor Jodie Comer is 29.

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 5.
Raz Over/Under is 11

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 10:24:38 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 5.
Raz Over/Under is 11
7

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »

Today's Over/Under is 5.
Raz Over/Under is 11
Not even.  I got 4. There's a lot of names I recognize but couldn't put faces to.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »

How about that, from a big day yesterday to the dumps today for Raz.  Interesting.

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »

How about that, from a big day yesterday to the dumps today for Raz.  Interesting.
The bday list is very fickle.

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 12:05:00 PM »

Teacher stops potential school shooting, gets suspended. This fucking country, I swear...

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/teacher-suspended-restraining-armed-student-164158446.html

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »

Teacher stops potential school shooting, gets suspended. This fucking country, I swear...

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/teacher-suspended-restraining-armed-student-164158446.html
Wow. I was confused by the title but even more so after reading the details. WTF?

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2022, 01:07:09 PM »

Teacher stops potential school shooting, gets suspended. This fucking country, I swear...

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/teacher-suspended-restraining-armed-student-164158446.html
Wow. I was confused by the title but even more so after reading the details. WTF?
The confusion is understandable, since it doesn't make any damn sense.

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2022, 01:16:42 PM »

Teacher stops potential school shooting, gets suspended. This fucking country, I swear...

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/teacher-suspended-restraining-armed-student-164158446.html
Wow. I was confused by the title but even more so after reading the details. WTF?
It's a little more complicated than it sounds, but yeah, it IS nuts.  The fault is our lawsuit-happy society.  Teachers and administrators are very much forbidden to manhandle or restrain students, and violating those policies will get swift termination. Even if a student assaults a teacher, the teacher is expected to evade and seek safety, and NOT to grapple with the student unless there is an imminent threat of injury or death and evasion is not an option.

So in this case, the school district is alleging that the coach should have allowed the resource officer and administrator that were present to pursue the efforts to locate the firearms. It would have been one thing if the student had been holding the firearm, or the coach could see some evidence that the student had the firearm on their person.  But that wasn't the case.  The firearm was located later in a book-bag.

So...it's complicated.  I can see both sides of this.

However - as a serious student of self-defense, both armed and unarmed, and its legal ramifications, my opinion is that the coach fucked up.  He lost his temper when the student threw a stapler, grabbed the student by the shirt, shoved him against the wall and held him there.  Even if we take all the education system rules about restraint out of this discussion, and just make it a self-defense situation, it was stupid.  A weapon had not been presented, and there were other people in the room, so there's no imminent threat of death or serious injury.  At that point, you want to maintain enough distance to adequately respond to any threatening movements. You do NOT want to grapple unless there is no other choice - like if the miscreant grabs you. In a self-defense situation, you want to strike hard and fast, mitigate the threat, and disengage quickly.  If you grab them by the shirt and shove them against the wall, you can't see what their hands are doing and they could easily split your gut with a knife, or fish out a concealed gun and shoot you. This coach should have been de-escalating, with eyes on every movement the student made, not suddenly going Rambo on the punk. So it was a dumb move from a self-defense perspective.  The teacher lost his cool, and losing your cool in a potentially dangerous situation leads to stupid things.

Self-defense is really complicated.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »

[...]

Too bad this wasn't in FL, they have very ...let's say loose... self-defense laws.

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »

Happy Friday guys.
got a wet ass on the links. by the time we made the turn it started to pour. we finished 18 and the sun came out.
ready for the hottub and a nap. but maybe not in that order.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »

Happy Friday guys.
got a wet ass on the links. by the time we made the turn it started to pour. we finished 18 and the sun came out.
ready for the hottub and a nap. but maybe not in that order.
Looks like a lot of weather coming across FL today. The Players has been suspended for several hours after they tried playing through half a monsoon.

Afternoon, TradeOneWetForAnotherDean.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7