Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 07:02:08 AM »

Former Saints defensive end Will Smith was shot to death in New Orleans' Lower Garden District on Saturday night following a traffic collision, the coroner's office confirmed.

Smith, 34, was shot after exchanging words with the driver of a Hummer H2 that rear-ended his Mercedes G63 SUV, causing him to strike another vehicle, police said.

Smith was shot multiple times, and his wife, Racquel, also 34, was shot twice in the right leg, according to police. Smith was pronounced dead at the scene, while his wife was taken to a hospital.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 07:02:37 AM »

Today is Sunday, April 10, the 101st day of 2016. There are 265 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

On April 10, 1916, the Professional Golfers’ Association of America was founded in New York.

On this date:

In 1790, President George Washington signed the first United States Patent Act.

In 1866, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was incorporated.

In 1912, the RMS Titanic set sail from Southampton, England, on its ill-fated maiden voyage.

In 1925, the novel “The Great Gatsby,” F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Jazz Age evocation of empty materialism, shattered illusion and thwarted romance, was first published by Scribner’s of New York.

In 1932, German President Paul Von Hindenburg was re-elected in a runoff, with Adolf Hitler coming in second.

In 1947, Brooklyn Dodgers President Branch Rickey purchased the contract of Jackie Robinson from the Montreal Royals.

In 1953, the 3-D horror movie “House of Wax,” produced by Warner Bros. and starring Vincent Price, premiered in New York.

In 1966, English author Evelyn Waugh, 62, died in Combe Florey, Somerset, England.

In 1974, Golda Meir told party leaders she was resigning as prime minister of Israel.

In 1985, singer Madonna launched “The Virgin Tour” with a concert at the Paramount Theater in Seattle.

In 1998, the Northern Ireland peace talks concluded as negotiators reached a landmark settlement to end 30 years of bitter rivalries and bloody attacks.

In 2010, Polish President Lech Kaczynski (lehk kah-CHIN’-skee), 60, was killed in a plane crash in western Russia that also claimed the lives of his wife and top Polish political, military and church officials.

Ten years ago: Former Enron Chief Executive Jeffrey Skilling began testifying in his fraud and conspiracy trial in Houston, declaring himself “absolutely innocent.” (Skilling was convicted on 19 counts and sentenced to more than 24 years in prison; his sentence was reduced by a decade in 2013.) Hundreds of thousands of people demanding U.S. citizenship for immigrants who were in the country illegally took to the streets in dozens of cities from New York to San Diego. French President Jacques Chirac caved in to protesters, canceling a law on youth employment that had fueled nationwide unrest.

Five years ago: In the first remarks since his ouster, former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak denied allegations that he had used his position to amass wealth and property. Bob Dylan performed a concert in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Charl Schwartzel won the Masters by two strokes over Adam Scott and Jason Day after a wild final round at Augusta National; the 26-year-old South African closed with four straight birdies, making a 20-footer at the final hole to wrap up a 6-under 66.

One year ago: During the National Rifle Association’s annual convention in Nashville, Tennessee, a succession of potential Republican presidential rivals slung criticism and cracked jokes about Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was expected to announce her White House candidacy. The Apple Watch made its debut.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 07:03:23 AM »

Today’s Birthdays: Actor Max von Sydow is 87. Actress Liz Sheridan is 87. Sportscaster John Madden is 80. Reggae artist Bunny Wailer is 69. Actor Steven Seagal is 65. Folk-pop singer Terre Roche (The Roches) is 63. Actor Peter MacNicol is 62. Actress Olivia Brown is 59. Rock musician Steven Gustafson (10,000 Maniacs) is 59. Singer-producer Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds is 58. Rock singer-musician Brian Setzer is 57. Rapper Afrika Bambaataa is 56. Rock singer Katrina Leskanich (les-KAH’-nich) is 56. Actor Jeb Adams is 55. Olympic gold medal speedskater Cathy Turner is 54. Rock musician Tim “Herb” Alexander is 51. Actor-comedian Orlando Jones is 48. Rock musician Mike Mushok (Staind) is 47. Singer Kenny Lattimore is 46. Rapper Q-Tip (AKA Kamaal) is 46. Blues singer Shemekia Copeland is 37. Actress Laura Bell Bundy is 35. Actress Chyler Leigh is 34. Pop musician Andrew Dost (fun.) is 33. Actor Ryan Merriman is 33. Singer Mandy Moore is 32. Actor Barkhad Abdi (BAHRK’-hahd AHB’-dee) is 31. Actress Shay Mitchell is 29. Actor Haley Joel Osment is 28. Actor Alex Pettyfer is 26. Actress-singer AJ (AKA Amanda) Michalka (mish-AL’-kah) is 25. Actress Daisy Ridley (Film: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) is 24. Actress Ruby Jerins is 18.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 07:03:45 AM »

Thought for Today: “Your actions, and your actions alone, determine your worth.” – Evelyn Waugh (1903-1966).

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »

good morning. had a Short Story with shitty hotel coffee. in the hotel restaurant with eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and Texas toast. this coffee is a bit better. 'festivities' start at 9am sharp.
Morning Dean, struggling through a cup so hotel room shitty coffee myself. I will probably head home around 10:00 or so.

Sounds like a good solid breakfast yo got going there,
breakfast was surprisingly good Dave. I have no idea how you manage living from hotel to hotel in all your travels. I think it sucks myself. no place like home, or the lady's home.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

66 degrees and clear this morning but the damn wind is still blowing.
51° here Dave and light breeze. should be in the high 70's by the time I return home this afternoon.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »

good morning. had a Short Story with shitty hotel coffee. in the hotel restaurant with eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and Texas toast. this coffee is a bit better. 'festivities' start at 9am sharp.
Morning Dean, struggling through a cup so hotel room shitty coffee myself. I will probably head home around 10:00 or so.

Sounds like a good solid breakfast yo got going there,
breakfast wast surprisingly good Dave. I have no idea how you manage living from hotel to hotel in all your travels. I think it sucks myself. no place like home, or the lady's home.
You just learn to deal with it after a while.

I stay in Garden Inns when I can because they have a pretty good breakfast and also Keurig coffee  makers in the room so I take my own usual expresso blend pods and have good coffee.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 07:19:42 AM »

Gainesville officers retiring after 20 years can keep their weapons
By Nick Watson
April 10, 2016 2:00 a.m.
After thousands of high-risk search warrants and 21 years of service, the Glock .40 at Joe Amerling’s side will soon come home for the last time.

“We are in a profession that you kissed your loved ones today and say ‘I’ll see you tonight,’” Amerling said, who will soon retire from the Gainesville Police Department.

“And you might not make it,” Chief Carol Martin interjected.

Following a recent Gainesville City Council resolution, officers with at least 20 years of honorable service will be presented with their service weapon upon retirement. Before the March 15 vote by the council, the minimum was 25 years.

“Our officers are out there protecting us and putting their lives on the line each and every day, and I think it’s well deserved,” Mayor Danny Dunagan said, adding that each replacement weapon costs roughly $400.

Martin said the item has been on her list for some time, but other issues took priority in her first year. The chief was glad to see the council approve the measure as a “good incentive and reward” for service to the department.

“When I got hired in ’95, y’all told me one of the perks was if I stayed here 20 years I’d get my gun. ... It’s just a traditional type thing that’s recognized throughout the world,” Amerling said.

Staring down at the dates and names etched on the slide of his Glock, retired Capt. Chad White said the memento means a great deal to him as a testament of his service.

White retired in 2014 following 25 years of service with the department. For the retired captain, the weapon is a family keepsake to pass down and will “never be fired again.”

“In 25 years, I saw over 300 people come and go,” White said. “And for me personally being able to work that long at the police department, that was rewarding to me.”

White and Amerling join another 50 or so living retirees of the Gainesville Police Department, a line of work that White feels is in its toughest time.

“Law enforcement today, I believe, is the hardest, the toughest ... it has ever been in the history of our profession, because they are constantly being watched, critiqued and criticized about everything they say and do,” White said.

This retirement will be the second 20-year career ending for Amerling; he earlier served 20 years active duty military until 1995. Because the age cutoff for law enforcement was 21 in New York, Amerling decided to enlist.

Joining months after his retirement, Amerling worked in community police before moving over to a gang unit in a time with “drive-by shootings every week.”

“I had met a lot of young Hispanic kids that I played ball with and established a relationship,” Amerling said. “Then unfortunately, as the gangs evolved, those kids evolved into some of the gangs that were here locally, but I still had a rapport with them.”

Amerling works with the Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad, a combination of Gainesville officers and members of the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.

“Being a drug unit, every search warrant we go into our weapon is drawn,” he said.

Other than the ability to verbally de-escalate a situation, the sidearm can be a lifesaver, Amerling said.

“That gun is ultimately your lifeline. It’s one of those where we talk about the sentimental value that Joe has been responsible for that gun for 20 years, and when it goes home he’s responsible for it,” Sgt. Kevin Holbrook said.

Amerling, who is married to veterinarian Dr. Jane White, said he has looked into becoming a private investigator and plans to continue his deep involvement in the community.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had more than 10 days off in 21 years,” he said.

Former gang members Holbrook recalls chasing as a rookie officer now come around as family men asking for Amerling by first name.

“They’ve obviously turned their lives around, and Joe has been a great asset to not only our agency but many agencies across the state,” Holbrook said.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »

Morning Travellin Dave.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »

good morning. had a Short Story with shitty hotel coffee. in the hotel restaurant with eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and Texas toast. this coffee is a bit better. 'festivities' start at 9am sharp.
Morning Dean, struggling through a cup so hotel room shitty coffee myself. I will probably head home around 10:00 or so.

Sounds like a good solid breakfast yo got going there,
breakfast wast surprisingly good Dave. I have no idea how you manage living from hotel to hotel in all your travels. I think it sucks myself. no place like home, or the lady's home.
You just learn to deal with it after a while.

I stay in Garden Inns when I can because they have a pretty good breakfast and also Keurig coffee  makers in the room so I take my own usual expresso blend pods and have good coffee.
Exactly.  I usually stay in Courtyard Marriotts.  Know what to expect, food (especially breakfast) is decent, courtyard and smoking areas usually decent etc.  Europe is a bit different, but usually I'm going to the same places time after time so there is familiarity.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »

cigar #2 1876 Reserve maduro robusto on balcony with fairly decent coffee. for a cheap stick this isn't too bad.

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »

[...]

Yep every traveler I know develops routines to make things work.

Problem I have is I stay in so many small towns where the selections are very limited.

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 07:44:06 AM »

cigar #2 1876 Reserve maduro robusto on balcony with fairly decent coffee. for a cheap stick this isn't too bad.
I just walked up to the front and got a more decent cup,of coffee but still not anywhere near good.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »

Starting the day with MY good coffee and an Ave Maria Immaculata.  Got Classical Baroque on Spotify and all is good.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:44 AM »

cigar #2 1876 Reserve maduro robusto on balcony with fairly decent coffee. for a cheap stick this isn't too bad.
I just walked up to the front and got a more decent cup,of coffee but still not anywhere near good.
Get a K-cup mini plus brewer and a travel bag.  Just sayin…
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6