Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Obvious coinkydink of the day:. Two all-star baseball players named Steve, both coming out of Florida.
Not a coinky-dink, really, but I did spend a rather drunken evening with Rick Nielsen crawling music clubs in New Orleans in 1998.
That sounds like a good time.
It was a good time. It started a bit nerve-wracking. I was at a Microsoft Tech conference. They had a jam session at the Sheraton hotel, so I went and sat in for a couple of songs. I called for a favorite song of mine, "Damn Your Eyes," which was famously done by Etta James. I talked everyone through it quickly, and then we did a reasonably good job jamming it. It got an enthusiastic response from the audience.

Afterward I was standing in the back watching others play. Somebody tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Nice work on the Etta James song." I turned and it was Rick Nielsen. "Holy shit!" sez I. If I'd known he was in the audience, I likely wouldn't have got onstage. So I bought him a beer, and told him about how it had been Sam Taylor who taught me the song at the Chicago Bar in Tucson. Most people haven't heard of Sam Taylor, but the Rolling Stones had to pay him some money because they had "inadvertently" plagiarized a song of his called "Midnight Rambler." Nielsen knew who Taylor was, and also some other musicians in Tucson that I knew.

Nielsen invited me to go with him to catch a set by the Radiators at Tipitina's, which turned into a foray through the music clubs in the French Quarter until about 4am. Good time.
That's an awesome story. Listening to the song now on Spotify.
Etta's version or Raz's ?
CNS

Enjoying a fairly mild afternoon before it goes to hell tomorrow.
Way to make the most of it. It's already cold and wet here.

[...]

Etta's

CAO Dream Team Sampler
10 Cigars
| MSRP: $8.63 per cigar

In Stock
4.71 out of 5
BUY 10+ CIGARS
$3.50
per cigar
$34.99 total price
SAVE 59%

The CAO Dream Team Sampler includes:
2 - CAO Black Ltd. Bengal (6" x 50)
2 - CAO 'VR' Moby (6" x 50)
2 - CAO Brazilia Gol! (5" x 56)
2 - CAO Italia Ciao (5" x 56)
2 - CAO Mx2 Robusto (5" x 52)

Enjoying a fairly mild afternoon before it goes to hell tomorrow.
Hell is right. And now I might have to account for 2 days worth of food here I wasn't planning on.

On the plus side, wife is also starting to feel rough in the throat (giggity), so she took a test before leaving for work and it was negative. So that's something, at least for the time being.
Here's hoping it's nothing.

Roughly two more hours until I can hazzuh until January 3rd.

Roughly two more hours until I can hazzuh until January 3rd.
I will do so now, at least for the day. Hazzuh!

[...]

I don't believe there are any recordings of me playing it. But my version is pretty faithful to Etta's, except with extended instrumentals. It's really the ultimate bar jam, because even white guys who aren't drunk will ask their spouse, SO, or that girl in the corner to dance.

I'm notorious for saying that the job of a bar band is to facilitate the drinking of booze and the getting of laid, and that song always seems to do the trick.

Enjoying a fairly mild afternoon before it goes to hell tomorrow.
Hell is right. And now I might have to account for 2 days worth of food here I wasn't planning on.

On the plus side, wife is also starting to feel rough in the throat (giggity), so she took a test before leaving for work and it was negative. So that's something, at least for the time being.
Here's hoping it's nothing.
Remember prior to COVID these types of symptoms were considered the normal course during the winter.

Punch Power Pack 15-Cigar Sampler
15 Cigars
| MSRP: $7.81 per cigar

Only 5 Left
BUY 15+ CIGARS
$3.00
per cigar
$44.99 total price
SAVE 62%

The Punch Power Pack 15–cigar sampler includes:
3 - Punch Clasico Natural Pita (6.1” x 50)
3 - Punch Gran Puro Nicaragua Toro (6.0” x 54)
3 - Punch Gran Puro Toro (6.0” x 50)
3 - Punch Signature Pita (6.0” x 50)
3 - Punch Bareknuckle Pita (6.0” x 50)

Enjoying a fairly mild afternoon before it goes to hell tomorrow.
Hell is right. And now I might have to account for 2 days worth of food here I wasn't planning on.

On the plus side, wife is also starting to feel rough in the throat (giggity), so she took a test before leaving for work and it was negative. So that's something, at least for the time being.
Here's hoping it's nothing.
Remember prior to COVID these types of symptoms were considered the normal course during the winter.
I'm not gonna lie though, my chest is pretty heavy and breathing becomes difficult after using the stairs. I never felt that with any cold.

But your point is still well taken.

Enjoying a fairly mild afternoon before it goes to hell tomorrow.
Hell is right. And now I might have to account for 2 days worth of food here I wasn't planning on.

On the plus side, wife is also starting to feel rough in the throat (giggity), so she took a test before leaving for work and it was negative. So that's something, at least for the time being.
Here's hoping it's nothing.
Remember prior to COVID these types of symptoms were considered the normal course during the winter.
You are correct. And if we all come up negative, then I'm sure the festivities will be on.

This weekend is going to be a bear. I'm planning for the worse

You all be safe and get well.
I will be busy but 1st

New world Connecticut

Thursday Night Football lull.