CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on April 14, 2020, 12:02:16 AM

Title: 4/14/2020
Post by: CigarBanter on April 14, 2020, 12:02:16 AM
Happy Tuesday! In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 05:42:11 AM
Good morning guys. Hope you all have a good day.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 05:49:41 AM
Good morning guys. Hope you all have a good day.
Back atcha, Rick!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 06:21:17 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 06:26:41 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Morning, Tony. All green lights today? ;)
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 06:38:01 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Morning, Tony. All green lights today? ;)
The greenest!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 06:38:25 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Good morning Tony and Dave. I'm at the funny farm.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 06:39:41 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Good morning Tony and Dave. I'm at the funny farm.
I'm pretty sure I've been there the whole time but if not, I'm certainly on my way.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 06:40:59 AM
@bluecollar: Is school closed for the rest of the semester?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 08:21:17 AM
Good morning, Rick and Dave.
Morning, Tony. All green lights today? ;)
The greenest!
Cool, same here!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 08:22:29 AM
Good morning Tony, BoilerBlue, and FirstDave.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:34:34 AM
Morning Rick, Dave, Tony and Bean.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:37:06 AM
Today is Tuesday, April 14, the 105th day of 2020. There are 261 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:
On April 14, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln was shot and mortally wounded by John Wilkes Booth during a performance of “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theater in Washington.

On this date:
In 1759, German-born English composer George Frideric Handel died in London at age 74.
In 1902, James Cash Penney opened his first store, The Golden Rule, in Kemmerer, Wyo.
In 1912, the British liner RMS Titanic collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic at 11:40 p.m. ship’s time and began sinking. (The ship went under two hours and 40 minutes later with the loss of 1,514 lives.)

In 1935, the “Black Sunday” dust storm descended upon the central Plains, turning a sunny afternoon into total darkness.
In 1939, the John Steinbeck novel “The Grapes of Wrath” was first published by Viking Press.
In 1956, Ampex Corp. demonstrated the first practical videotape recorder at the National Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters Convention in Chicago.

In 1965, the state of Kansas hanged Richard Hickock and Perry Smith for the 1959 “In Cold Blood” murders of Herbert Clutter, his wife, Bonnie, and two of their children, Nancy and Kenyon.
In 1970, President Richard Nixon nominated Harry Blackmun to the U.S. Supreme Court. (The choice of Blackmun, who was unanimously confirmed by the Senate a month later, followed the failed nominations of Clement Haynsworth and G. Harrold Carswell.)

In 1981, the first test flight of America’s first operational space shuttle, the Columbia, ended successfully with a landing at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
In 1994, two U.S. Air Force F-15 warplanes mistakenly shot down two U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopters over northern Iraq, killing 26 people, including 15 Americans. Turner Classic Movies made its cable debut; the first film it aired was Ted Turner’s personal favorite, “Gone with the Wind.”

In 1999, NATO mistakenly bombed a convoy of ethnic Albanian refugees; Yugoslav officials said 75 people were killed.
In 2004, in a historic policy shift, President George W. Bush endorsed Israel’s plan to hold on to part of the West Bank in any final peace settlement with the Palestinians; he also ruled out Palestinian refugees returning to Israel, bringing strong criticism from the Palestinians.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:38:01 AM
Ten years ago: A magnitude-7 earthquake in a remote Tibetan region of China killed some 2,700 people and injured more than 10,000. The Eyjafjallajokul (ay-yah-FYAH’-lah-yer-kuhl) volcano in Iceland erupted, sending out an ash plume that led most northern European countries to close their airspace between April 15 and 20, grounding about 10 million travelers worldwide.

Five years ago: The White House announced that President Barack Obama would remove Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism, a key step in his bid to normalize relations between the two countries. Percy Sledge, 74, who soared from part-time singer and hospital orderly to lasting fame with his aching, forlorn performance on the classic “When a Man Loves a Woman,” died in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

One year ago: Pete Buttigieg, the little-known mayor of South Bend, Indiana, made his official entrance into the 2020 Democratic presidential race. Rep. Ilhan Omar said she had faced increased death threats since President Donald Trump spread around a video that purported to show her being dismissive of the 2001 terrorist attacks; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she had taken steps to ensure the safety of the Democratic Muslim lawmaker from Minnesota. After going nearly 11 years since he won his last major tournament, Tiger Woods rallied to win the Masters for the fifth time, closing with a 2-under-par 70 for a one-shot victory.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:40:46 AM
Today’s Birthdays:

Country singer Loretta Lynn is 88.
Actress Julie Christie is 80.
Retired MLB All-Star Pete Rose is 79.
Rock musician Ritchie Blackmore is 75.
Actor John Shea is 72.
Actor Peter Capaldi is 62.
Actor-turned-race car driver Brian Forster is 60.
Actor Brad Garrett is 60.
Actor Robert Carlyle is 59. Rock singer-musician John Bell (Widespread Panic) is 58.
Actor Robert Clendenin is 56.
Actress Catherine Dent is 55.
Actor Lloyd Owen is 54.
Baseball Hall of Famer Greg Maddux is 54.
Rock musician Barrett Martin is 53.
Actor Anthony Michael Hall is 52.
Actor Adrien Brody is 47.
Classical singer David Miller (Il Divo) is 47.
Rapper DaBrat is 46.
Actor Antwon Tanner is 45.
Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar is 43.
Actor-producer Rob McElhenney is 43.
Roots singer JD McPherson is 43.
Rock singer Win Butler (Arcade Fire) is 40.
Actress Claire Coffee is 40.
Actor Christian Alexander is 30.
Actor Nick Krause is 28.
Actress Vivien Cardone is 27.
Actor Graham Phillips is 27.
Actress Skyler Samuels is 26.
Actress Abigail Breslin is 24.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:41:26 AM
Thought for Today: “I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.” – Everett Dirksen, American politician (1896-1969).
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:47:07 AM
[...]

Julie Christie is 80???
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 09:37:38 AM
Good morning, Mark and EnLIGHTenedDave.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 10:02:50 AM
Tuesday offering from SBC

Tuesday Specials!
Starting now until midnight enjoy two specials on four categories!

Casa Cuevas
Oneoff
Perdomo

CODE: T20 = 20% off plus 5% reward points on categories above

OR

CODE: T26 = 26% off plus 5% reward points on categories above on orders $100 or more

Please log in before using code
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 10:07:39 AM
@bluecollar: Is school closed for the rest of the semester?
They are finishing the semester online. Graduation ceremony has been postponed till October
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 10:11:57 AM
Morning Rick, Dave, Tony and Bean.
Good morning Carolina Dave and Mark
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 10:13:03 AM
Tuesday offering from SBC

Tuesday Specials!
Starting now until midnight enjoy two specials on four categories!

Casa Cuevas
Oneoff
Perdomo

CODE: T20 = 20% off plus 5% reward points on categories above

OR

CODE: T26 = 26% off plus 5% reward points on categories above on orders $100 or more

Please log in before using code
Can you enlighten us on the Casa Cuevas, SenseiDave?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on April 14, 2020, 10:14:32 AM
good morning guys.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 10:16:14 AM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 10:20:56 AM
@bluecollar: Is school closed for the rest of the semester?
They are finishing the semester online. Graduation ceremony has been postponed till October
I'm guessing that'll end up being the norm pretty soon.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 10:41:28 AM
Tuesday offering from SBC

Tuesday Specials!
Starting now until midnight enjoy two specials on four categories!

Casa Cuevas
Oneoff
Perdomo

CODE: T20 = 20% off plus 5% reward points on categories above

OR

CODE: T26 = 26% off plus 5% reward points on categories above on orders $100 or more

Please log in before using code
Can you enlighten us on the Casa Cuevas, SenseiDave?
Don't have much experience with the line.  They have been around a while with a Tabacalera making generic sticks for Gurkha and Leccia (so LTG should love them).  Started doing their own sticks just a couple of years ago.  Only one I've had was La Mandarria which was pretty good.  Just haven't seen them around much or publicized  that drew any particular interest.  Sorry I can't be more help.  Can't smoke 'em all.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 10:48:48 AM
[...]

Appreciate the info.  That they made sticks for Gurkha doesn't engender much desire to try their brand.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: FloridaDean on April 14, 2020, 10:58:45 AM
hot and muggy here with a light rain.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 11:00:34 AM
[...]

That's usually one of the criteria I use in trying a new stick, and as you, it hasn't engendered any desire to explore.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 11:19:32 AM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 11:20:45 AM
[...]

Everyone makes sticks for Gurkha.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 11:20:46 AM
[...]

That's usually one of the criteria I use in trying a new stick, and as you, it hasn't engenderedpersoned any desire to explore.
Make sure you're being inclusive. I fixed it for you.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: sfish on April 14, 2020, 11:47:37 AM
[...]

Has anyone ever tried the OneOff?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 12:08:26 PM
[...]

What is that, the posting software you use here?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 12:10:15 PM
[...]

CNS
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 12:11:49 PM
[...]

Yes, a couple times.  I'm not a fan, but I think ClemsonDave likes them.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 12:45:00 PM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
He's in good shape now.  He's a super employee...although best to get a confirmatory Ab test.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 12:45:40 PM
[...]

True, true, even AJ.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 12:49:23 PM
[...]

Yea, they're pretty tasty.  Coming from Illusione you would expect that.  A bit pricy for what you get though IMHO.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: sfish on April 14, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
[...]

How about the Haut 10? I'm a big fan of those
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: sfish on April 14, 2020, 12:58:53 PM
[...]

I really like Illusione, for some reason I don't look to buy them enough
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 01:07:54 PM
[...]

Haven't tried it.  The Illusione line hasn't wowed me thus far.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: sfish on April 14, 2020, 01:11:37 PM
[...]

Interesting...on second thought, not really
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 01:14:29 PM
[...]

Never was interested enough in trying the +52 vitola that is almost twice the price as the regular.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 01:19:04 PM
[...]

Like them as well.  As we have discussed, like you, while I've enjoyed most Illusiones I've had, just never been inclined to smoke them regularly...but can't give a reason why...only exception are the Rothchildes which I always keep in stock.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 01:55:32 PM
[...]

True. This is still interesting, though.
(https://media1.tenor.com/images/e99cb3afd0e4bedccc22d14db224fd1b/tenor.gif?itemid=5972596)
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 02:18:25 PM
[...]

To paraphrase Churchill, "Funny gifs are a great way to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
He's in good shape now.  He's a super employee...although best to get a confirmatory Ab test.
I would like to take one then tell me what it actually means. I think this is key to returning to a normal life
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 14, 2020, 02:53:09 PM
Hazzuh!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 03:00:33 PM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
He's in good shape now.  He's a super employee...although best to get a confirmatory Ab test.
I would like to take one then tell me what it actually means. I think this is key to returning to a normal life
If you have Ab (antibodies) it means you were either exposed or vaccinated against the virus.  Circulating antibodies means that the exposure was somewhat recent.  Along with antibodies, you have memory cells that quickly churn out more antibody if they "see" the virus or agent again.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 03:01:42 PM
Hazzuh!
What, going to the other room?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 03:02:13 PM
[...]

Not the new ones but I haven't heard very good reviews. About 15 years ago I smoked the original ones and they were a go-to for me.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 03:08:13 PM
Speaking of go to.....with coffee.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/68d716eb9ae47d7a316c4c658a14854a.jpg)
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 03:10:06 PM
Speaking of go to.....with coffee.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/68d716eb9ae47d7a316c4c658a14854a.jpg)
Indeed. Enjoy.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 03:28:37 PM
For you Viaje fans, a couple of very limited release items at Cigar Federation.

https://store.cigarfederation.com/products/viaje-bruce-banner-and-the-hulk?variant=33280146112652&mc_cid=f7f33d8698&mc_eid=c1bd1ef3de

This is NOT the Cheapy Cheapo shopping link!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 04:09:13 PM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
He's in good shape now.  He's a super employee...although best to get a confirmatory Ab test.
I would like to take one then tell me what it actually means. I think this is key to returning to a normal life
If you have Ab (antibodies) it means you were either exposed or vaccinated against the virus.  Circulating antibodies means that the exposure was somewhat recent.  Along with antibodies, you have memory cells that quickly churn out more antibody if they "see" the virus or agent again.
I understand that part. The million dollar question is to what level immunity do we have and for how long after testing for antibodies. Some are questioning if we have any immunity at all.

Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 04:13:09 PM
After removing work clothes and doing the underwear trot (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/78fc48a8c1cd4de875248b68dc3068be.jpg)
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
There is only myself and about a total of 20 people on the entire campus.
That is a good thing right now. Better to stay away from people.
He's in good shape now.  He's a super employee...although best to get a confirmatory Ab test.
I would like to take one then tell me what it actually means. I think this is key to returning to a normal life
If you have Ab (antibodies) it means you were either exposed or vaccinated against the virus.  Circulating antibodies means that the exposure was somewhat recent.  Along with antibodies, you have memory cells that quickly churn out more antibody if they "see" the virus or agent again.
I understand that part. The million dollar question is to what level immunity do we have and for how long after testing for antibodies. Some are questioning if we have any immunity at all.
valid question. This is where science and not presidential hunches comes in. Won't know for a year or more, but based on other corona virus types we are more familiar with.  best guess is two years, maybe more.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 04:35:13 PM
Don't know what possessed me to dig this one out for the afternoon.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: sfish on April 14, 2020, 04:45:24 PM
Don't know what possessed me to dig this one out for the afternoon.
Haha, how is it?
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 04:46:40 PM
Don't know what possessed me to dig this one out for the afternoon.
Haha, how is it?
Mikey likes it!
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 05:05:45 PM
Don't know what possessed me to dig this one out for the afternoon.
Haha, how is it?
As I remember, good, not great.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 05:06:14 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 06:07:01 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
I saw that. They said he was battling something for quite some time and not COVID-19 related.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: bluecollar on April 14, 2020, 06:54:35 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
I saw that. They said he was battling something for quite some time and not COVID-19 related.
They said he had been sick for a while. I guess that's why we saw his brother more often.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 07:23:32 PM
Don't know what possessed me to dig this one out for the afternoon.
Nice photo staging, TikiDave.
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Threebean on April 14, 2020, 07:33:09 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
I saw that. They said he was battling something for quite some time and not COVID-19 related.
They said he had been sick for a while. I guess that's why we saw his brother more often.
Wonder what he was sick from which finally got him.  63 isn't that old by my frame of reference
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 14, 2020, 08:24:19 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
I saw that. They said he was battling something for quite some time and not COVID-19 related.
They said he had been sick for a while. I guess that's why we saw his brother more often.
Wonder what he was sick from which finally got him.  63 isn't that old by my frame of reference
Definitely not by my frame!  😳
Title: Re: 4/14/2020
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 14, 2020, 09:42:03 PM
Hank Steinbrenner dead at 63.
I saw that. They said he was battling something for quite some time and not COVID-19 related.
They said he had been sick for a while. I guess that's why we saw his brother more often.
Wonder what he was sick from which finally got him.  63 isn't that old by my frame of reference
Definitely not by my frame!
Seems the family is keeping it hush hush, for now.