CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 5/25/2021  (Read 2779 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 5/25/2021
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »

Moderna is now going to be seeking approval to vaccinate 12- to 17-year-olds.
I need 11 year olds to be approved for vaccination.

Edit: Too easily could be taken out of context the way I previously worded it.
Indeed.
Do they check ID?  Just say she's 12.
They do check ID. Because by height and weight my sons would be fine. When I brought my 15 year-old they asked for ID. I asked, what if I didn't have a passport for her and they replied that they would require a birth certificate.
Interesting....

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »

Page 4!

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »

Indeed.
They do check ID. Because by height and weight my sons would be fine. When I brought my 15 year-old they asked for ID. I asked, what if I didn't have a passport for her and they replied that they would require a birth certificate.
Interesting....
They didn't ask for any proof for mine, but they did them through Cleveland Clinic, so I'm guessing they already had their info on file somewhere.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »

Travellin Dave: Guitar gear won.  Here's my birthday present to myself.  I got this stuff way below market value.  Picking it up at 10am.

That's a Synergy Syn-2 Modular preamp on top.  It has two modules loaded - a Fryette Deliverance and a Friedman Dirty Shirley.   These are essentially versions of hot-rodded Marshall amps. 

On the bottom is a Mesa/Boogie Simul-Class 2:90.  It's a hellacious amount of vacuum tube amplifier power - like, capable of sound pressure levels that would kill small children and household pets.  It's nominally 90 watts per side or 180 watts bridged mono.  But that's nominally.  It's 1% Total Harmonic Distortion at 90 watts.  But if you know anything about guitar players, we LIKE distortion. We like it a LAWT. So in a guitar rig, right about the time this thing starts to really sing it's blowing through about 200 watts per side and people 2 miles away are calling the cops.  They don't make these anymore because not even rock star guitarists need that kind of power. 

I need this kinda power like I need a third testicle, but the way this deal breaks down I got it for about $400, which is a third of what they cost new and half of current market value.  This will be the second I've owned; way back around the turn of the century I sold the first one I owned to the CTO of Harley Davidson.  I'll probably tune it to drive the home theater rig.  Plenty of clean headroom for that.
Happy Birthday indeed.  Now I have to go check Urban Dictionary for "Friedman Dirty Shirley"
No idea where Dave Friedman came up with the name, but the amplifier is essentially a copy of the amp Eric Clapton used to record the famous "Beano" album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »

Indeed.
Interesting....
They didn't ask for any proof for mine, but they did them through Cleveland Clinic, so I'm guessing they already had their info on file somewhere.
I'm sure 9/10 they wouldn't ask for ID anyway. But I'll be the 1/10.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 11:10:29 AM »

Ah, now I *do* know where Friedman got the name.  It's a drink.

A Dirty Shirley is a Shirley Temple, but with Vodka.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »

Ah, now I *do* know where Friedman got the name.  It's a drink.

A Dirty Shirley is a Shirley Temple, but with Vodka.
I come here every day to learn.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2021, 11:13:13 AM »

Indeed.
Interesting....
Oh, no question.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »

Travellin Dave: Guitar gear won.  Here's my birthday present to myself.  I got this stuff way below market value.  Picking it up at 10am.

That's a Synergy Syn-2 Modular preamp on top.  It has two modules loaded - a Fryette Deliverance and a Friedman Dirty Shirley.   These are essentially versions of hot-rodded Marshall amps. 

On the bottom is a Mesa/Boogie Simul-Class 2:90.  It's a hellacious amount of vacuum tube amplifier power - like, capable of sound pressure levels that would kill small children and household pets.  It's nominally 90 watts per side or 180 watts bridged mono.  But that's nominally.  It's 1% Total Harmonic Distortion at 90 watts.  But if you know anything about guitar players, we LIKE distortion. We like it a LAWT. So in a guitar rig, right about the time this thing starts to really sing it's blowing through about 200 watts per side and people 2 miles away are calling the cops.  They don't make these anymore because not even rock star guitarists need that kind of power. 

I need this kinda power like I need a third testicle, but the way this deal breaks down I got it for about $400, which is a third of what they cost new and half of current market value.  This will be the second I've owned; way back around the turn of the century I sold the first one I owned to the CTO of Harley Davidson.  I'll probably tune it to drive the home theater rig.  Plenty of clean headroom for that.
Happy Birthday indeed.  Now I have to go check Urban Dictionary for "Friedman Dirty Shirley"
No idea where Dave Friedman came up with the name, but the amplifier is essentially a copy of the amp Eric Clapton used to record the famous "Beano" album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.
Enjoy that equipment!  How hard is it to keep a stock of replacement tubes for those things?  I guess there are specialty manufactures for those (for top dollar), like most other  things.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »

Hey Tony, some new Bishops Blend released for you.
https://store.cigarfederation.com/collections/featured-cigars/products/black-label-trading-company-bishops-blend?mc_cid=f05bb79cf6&mc_eid=c1bd1ef3de

Was this one of the ones you had over the weekend?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »

Enjoy that equipment!  How hard is it to keep a stock of replacement tubes for those things?  I guess there are specialty manufactures for those (for top dollar), like most other  things.
How long has it been since vacuum tubes were used?  40-50 years?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »

Indeed.
Interesting....
Oh, no question.
...but only if you didn't have it.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »

Indeed.
Interesting....
Oh, no question.
...but only if you didn't have it.
Which he doesn't, since she's only 11. ;)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »

Hey Tony, some new Bishops Blend released for you.
https://store.cigarfederation.com/collections/featured-cigars/products/black-label-trading-company-bishops-blend?mc_cid=f05bb79cf6&mc_eid=c1bd1ef3de

Was this one of the ones you had over the weekend?
Sure looks like it. How would I know?

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5