Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2024, 04:04:56 PM »

I like this list much better...know and like all but 2.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/11-best-prog-rock-tracks-to-test-your-hi-fi-system/ar-BB1hYFxc?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=6cd5be4c9b224a3890157f6a71b3a76c&ei=75
I'd submit that "Dust in the Wind" is not really prog, and "Red Rain" is a severe stretch.

Just because an artist is or has done prog doesn't make any particular song they did progressive. That would be a Genetic Fallacy.

"Dust" may have an incidentally Baroque structure, but so does most folk music, and the song owes more to the Beatles - specifically "Yesterday" - than to any classical or romance composers. It's beautiful, but it's pop. It's exceedingly good and clever pop, on the whole, but it's pop. Nothing about it challenges the ear, the mind, or one's expectations, which is the defining characteristic of prog.
I believe you. But I had to read this twice because I wasn't sure I understood you.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]