Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1989, the United States launched Operation Just Cause, sending troops into Panama to topple the government of Gen. Manuel Noriega.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

In 1995, an American Airlines Boeing 757 en route to Cali, Colombia, slammed into a mountain, killing all but four of the 163 people aboard. In Bosnia-Herzegovina, NATO began its peacekeeping mission, taking over from the United Nations.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Ten years ago: New York City transit workers began a strike that shut down subways and buses for three days. A federal judge ruled that "intelligent design" could not be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, delivering a stinging attack on the Dover Area School Board.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Five years ago: In the biggest anti-terrorist sweep in Britain in nearly two years, police arrested a dozen men accused of plotting a large-scale terror attack on targets inside the United Kingdom. Former Mexican presidential candidate Diego Fernandez de Cevallos was freed more than seven months after his kidnapping by suspected leftist rebels. "Barney Miller" actor Steve Landesberg, 74, died in Los Angeles.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

One year ago: A gunman who'd announced online that he was planning to shoot two "pigs" in retaliation for the police chokehold death of Eric Garner ambushed two New York City officers in a patrol car; Ismaaiyl Brinsley shot Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu to death before running to a subway station and killing himself.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Today's Birthdays: Actor John Hillerman is 83. Original Mouseketeer Tommy Cole (TV: "The Mickey Mouse Club") is 74. Rock musician-music producer Bobby Colomby is 71. Rock musician Peter Criss is 70. Psychic/illusionist Uri Geller is 69. Producer Dick Wolf ("Law & Order") is 69. Rock musician Alan Parsons is 67. Actress Jenny Agutter is 63. Actor Michael Badalucco is 61. Actress Blanche Baker is 59. Rock singer Billy Bragg is 58. Rock singer-musician Mike Watt (The Secondmen, Minutemen, fIREHOSE) is 58. Actor Joel Gretsch is 52. Country singer Kris Tyler is 51. Rock singer Chris Robinson is 49. Actress Nicole deBoer is 45. Movie director Todd Phillips is 45. Singer David Cook ("American Idol") is 33. Actor Jonah Hill is 32. Actor Bob Morley (TV: "The 100") is 31. Singer JoJo is 25.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Thought for Today: "All the mistakes I ever made were when I wanted to say 'No' and said 'Yes.'" — Moss Hart, American playwright and director (born 1904, died this date in 1961).
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

The Spoon
-------------------------

I took some friends out to dinner last week, and I noticed a spoon in the shirt pocket of our waiter as he handed us the menus. It seemed a little odd, but I dismissed it as a random thing. Until our busboy came with water & tableware; he too, sported a spoon in his breast pocket. I looked around the room, and all the waiters, waitresses, busboys, etc. had spoons in their pockets. When our waiter returned to take our order, I just had to ask, "Why the spoons?"

"Well," he explained, "our parent company recently hired some consulting efficiency experts to review all our procedures, and after months of statistical analyses, they concluded that our patrons drop spoons on the floor 73% more often than any other utensil; at a frequency of 3 spoons per hour per workstation
. By preparing all our workers for this contingency in advance, we can cut our trips to the kitchen down and save time...nearly 1.5 extra man-hours per shift." Just as he concluded, a "ch-ching" came from the table behind him, and he quickly replaced a fallen spoon with the one from his pocket. "I'll grab another spoon the next time I'm in the kitchen instead of making a special trip," he proudly explained. I was impressed.

"Thanks. I had to ask."

"No problem," he answered, then he continued to take our orders.

As the members of my dinner party took their turns, my eyes darted back & forth from each person ordering and my menu. That's when, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a thin,
black thread protruding from our waiter's fly. Again, I dismissed it; yet I had to scan the room and, sure enough, there were other waiters and busboys with strings hanging out of their trousers. My curiosity overrode discretion at this point, so before he could leave I had to ask. "Excuse me, but...uh...why, or what...about that string?"

"Oh, yeah" he began in a quieter tone. "Not many people are that observant. That same efficiency group found we could save time in the men's room, too."

"How's that?"

"You see, by tying a string to the end of our, eh, selves, we can pull it out at the urinals literally hands-free and thereby eliminate the need to wash our hands, cutting time spent in the restroom by over 93%!"

"Oh, that makes sense," I said, but then thinking through the process, I asked, "Hey, wait a minute. If the string helps you pull it out, how do you get it back in?"

"Well," he whispered, "I don't know about the other guys; but I use my spoon."

Morning LSU.

Cup of coffee going here then got to get up add get ready to head east.  Tonight in Monroe but I have to stop in Ruston this afternoon to get my old car out of the storage facility and picked up to transport.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Cup of coffee going here then got to get up add get ready to head east.  Tonight in Monroe but I have to stop in Ruston this afternoon to get my old car out of the storage facility and picked up to transport.
Sounds like a couple of long days ahead for you.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!

Cup of coffee going here then got to get up add get ready to head east.  Tonight in Monroe but I have to stop in Ruston this afternoon to get my old car out of the storage facility and picked up to transport.
Dont get to wild in Monroe tonight! Sleepy little town with not much to do.

Cup of coffee going here then got to get up add get ready to head east.  Tonight in Monroe but I have to stop in Ruston this afternoon to get my old car out of the storage facility and picked up to transport.
Dont get to wild in Monroe tonight! Sleepy little town with not much to do.
Hah, I have spent plenty of time there but it is a lot busier than it used to be.  I will behave though.

Cup of coffee going here then got to get up add get ready to head east.  Tonight in Monroe but I have to stop in Ruston this afternoon to get my old car out of the storage facility and picked up to transport.
Sounds like a couple of long days ahead for you.
3 long days of travel.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7