Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

18!

I'm gonna be in the Jersey office for the last time tomorrow with no herf afterwards. How depressing.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **

after listening to Hillary and Donald I may have to vote LIBERTARIAN.
Naw, they nominated an asshat too.
Who's gonna fuck up the county the least?
That is the question on every thinking American's mind.  Raz's analysis is correct.  I am a libertarian but can't vote for Johnson/Weld with their history.  Guess I'll vote for Trump and hope he surrounds himself with smart people and listens to them.
That's so scary to me. Unfortunately, there is no good choice.

Sure there is.  What you meant was there is no appealing choice.  Again, it comes back to how you define a great America.  If you think the government will make America great by taking more of your paycheck to distribute to other people, without regard of the sacrifices and risks you've taken to earn it and without regard whether the recipients contributed anything to deserve it, then Hillary is a "good" choice.  If you think that increasing taxation of the rich will balance the budget without the government having to go into your wallet, then Hillary is a "good" choice.  If you think that pouring billions more dollars into a public education system that is controlled by the country's most powerful union and absolutely opposed to teacher accountability will make your kids better educated, then Hillary is a "good" choice.  If you think semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines should be banned from civilian ownership, then Hillary is a "good" choice. If you think cigars should be regulated like a narcotic and you should pay a penalty to smoke them, then Hillary is a "good" choice.

If however, you think the country would be a whole lot better if the government got out of your wallet, your ass, and your humidor, learned to live within its means, and focused on its real responsibilities, then Trump is a "good" choice.  Will Trump accomplish all this?  No.  If Reagan couldn't, then Trump sure as hell can't.  Will Trump sell these ideals out?  Flip a coin.  Maybe yes, maybe no.  We don't know what Trump will do.  He's an unpredictable egomaniac who says whatever's good for him at any given moment.

But Trump at least gives lip service to the ideals I embrace.  Hillary espouses ideals I reject, and she has a long track record of supporting ideals I reject.  So, given the choices there, Trump is the "good" choice.

It may not be an appealing choice.  But it's a good choice.
Sorry bud, I'm still undecided. Trump could have just as easily ran as a Democrat. I'm not convinced there's a real difference in their policies. If he really was in it for the public service and not his ego perhaps he would have tried a lower office first. If he manages the country the way he does his personal life and businesses, I'm not interested.
Sure, Trump could have run as a Democrat.  But he didn't.  Hillary could have run as a Republican.  So could have Obama.  But they didn't.  Which doesn't ultimately mean all that much.

You underestimate the value of political power - which is having a bunch of people behind you that sway others to your side, or offset the power of your opposition.  Reagan accomplished what he accomplished because he swayed a lot of Democrats to support him.

Whatever Trump's politics in the past, he solicited the NRA.  He solicited the Fraternal Order of Police.  What he's going to be able to do and not do is going to be limited by the entities embodying the power he's appropriated.  Since he has obtained power from conservative organizations, he is bound to them.  He can betray them, sure...but not completely.  To do so would turn him into Jimmy Carter or George HW Bush.  Your power base turns on you, and the opposition has more to gain from your destruction than your cooperation, so...you're fuk'd.

So, the likelihood of Trump betraying the core ideals upon which I'll give him my vote are slim. Ish.  Certainly it's less likely that he'll betray those ideals than it is Hillary will betray hers.  And hers are a recipe for disaster.
I'm at the end of my night out, just finished my MoW Skull Crusher & DeSchuttes Fresh Squeezed IPA & decided to check in and see how everyone's doing & saw this discussion ... I listened to the debate via my phone while watching the Nats get crushed by Diamondbacks ... Hilary is an accomplished debater but Benghazi & her private e-mail server to cover up her using her position as Secretary of State to build up her Clinton Foundation in pay for play deals are too hard for me to swallow.  Trump, at least has promised to multiple groups to nominate Contitutional conservatives to the Supreme Court is compelling for me.  Following the Constitution has served us well so far, amending it when it becomes essential to be faithful to its principles.  The list of candidates which he & his people have produced has
brought solid approval from those that he has sought approval from.  I believe in the Constitution and the freedoms it was created to protect & preserve (life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness as stated in the Declaration of Independence.) I think the direction that the current administration which Clinton has promised to continue directly contradict the Foundation and core of what this country was founded on and for.

I'm gonna be in the Jersey office for the last time tomorrow with no herf afterwards. How depressing.
Id have you stop by but I'll be out getting a tux fitting for a wedding
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]