Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »

In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia ended with a Confederate victory over Union forces.
You're in the south now. If you don't start calling it the Battle of Northern Aggression, you're gonna get some angry looks.
You mean War of Northern Aggression. Also acceptable: War Between the States and War of Secession.  Yankees, sheesh!
down here the war hasn't ended yet. depending on who you ask the south won, but with all the northerners moving here it looks like a loss to me.

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »

No more getting out of bed for late night drinks, the Beer Pillow is here.

https://wannabeent.com/no-more-getting-out-of-bed-for-late-night-drinks-the-beer-pillow-is-here/

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »

In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia ended with a Confederate victory over Union forces.
You're in the south now. If you don't start calling it the Battle of Northern Aggression, you're gonna get some angry looks.
You mean War of Northern Aggression. Also acceptable: War Between the States and War of Secession.  Yankees, sheesh!
down here the war hasn't ended yet. depending on who you ask the south won, but with all the northerners moving here it looks like a loss to me.
The irony of that last part is delightful.

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »

In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia ended with a Confederate victory over Union forces.
You're in the south now. If you don't start calling it the Battle of Northern Aggression, you're gonna get some angry looks.
You mean War of Northern Aggression. Also acceptable: War Between the States and War of Secession.  Yankees, sheesh!
down here the war hasn't ended yet. depending on who you ask the south won, but with all the northerners moving here it looks like a loss to me.
I was in Richmond years ago with a client who is from Switzerland.  He could not understand all the statues to confederate heroes down Monument Avenue.  "But they lost, right?  They put up monuments to the losers? "  It was late, and we'd been drinking, so it was funny as hell at the time.

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »

Morning, muchachos.

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »

Good morning Dave, Rick, Tony, and Dean.  All greens again on the way in this morning, in case you were wondering.
Same here, in case YOU were wondering. Morning, Mark.
Nothing but reds here.

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »

Morning. Still feels like winter. Boilers need checking.
Talking here about the chance for snow on Saturday. Snow!
Same here. Mother's day snow. Good morning LTG, Tony, and Dean.
Oh yeah mother's day. I better get on that. And then I have a couple of birthdays immediately following.
being Mr Mom I thought it's was your day.
I think he's going to buy himself roses and chocolates. Maybe give himself breakfast in bed.
And finish off with...

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 11:30:39 AM »

In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia ended with a Confederate victory over Union forces.
You're in the south now. If you don't start calling it the Battle of Northern Aggression, you're gonna get some angry looks.
You mean War of Northern Aggression. Also acceptable: War Between the States and War of Secession.  Yankees, sheesh!
down here the war hasn't ended yet. depending on who you ask the south won, but with all the northerners moving here it looks like a loss to me.
I was in Richmond years ago with a client who is from Switzerland.  He could not understand all the statues to confederate heroes down Monument Avenue.  "But they lost, right?  They put up monuments to the losers? "  It was late, and we'd been drinking, so it was funny as hell at the time.
But when you factor in that most of them were erected in the 1940s to 60s, other explanations make sense.

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 12:06:56 PM »

[...]
Not true.
Robert E. Lee Monument – equestrian sculpture by Antonin Merci้; unveiled May 29, 1890
J.E.B. Stuart – equestrian sculpture by Frederick Moynihan; unveiled May 30, 1907
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America – sculpted by Edward Valentine; unveiled June 3, 1907
Stonewall Jackson – equestrian sculpture by Frederick William Sievers; unveiled October 11, 1919
Matthew Fontaine Maury, oceanographer – sculpted by Frederick William Sievers; unveiled November 11, 1929

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »

[...]
That's most of them? Guess there's a lot less than everyone says.

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »

[...]
I left one off the list as it's unrelated.  Arthur Ashe was born in Richmond.
Arthur Ashe, tennis player – sculpted by Paul DiPasquale; unveiled July 10, 1996

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:54 PM »

In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia ended with a Confederate victory over Union forces.
You're in the south now. If you don't start calling it the Battle of Northern Aggression, you're gonna get some angry looks.
You mean War of Northern Aggression. Also acceptable: War Between the States and War of Secession.  Yankees, sheesh!
down here the war hasn't ended yet. depending on who you ask the south won, but with all the northerners moving here it looks like a loss to me.
The South has ceded Florida except for the panhandle.

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »

Morning. Still feels like winter. Boilers need checking.
Talking here about the chance for snow on Saturday. Snow!
Same here. Mother's day snow. Good morning LTG, Tony, and Dean.
Oh yeah mother's day. I better get on that. And then I have a couple of birthdays immediately following.
being Mr Mom I thought it's was your day.
Only when it's convenient.

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »

[...]
OK, four out of how many?  (I would not include Maury even though he was a confederate navy officer)  Statue is not a military statue.  I did say most... ::)

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »

[...]
Nice statue, but that was protested at the time...
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-08-16-mn-35789-story.html
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5