CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: 9/20/2018  (Read 10982 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 9/20/2018
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »

Productive day here, neighbor friend brought his mega hot 30 year old wife down for a visit.  He and I been drinking while my eyes targeted her assets like a laser beam.

Lawyer called me and offered me some nice whiskey money to go look at a crash scene for him next week.
You're a retired man now. Be careful not to strain yourself.
Don’t you worry😀

You and been can help me, it is a damn motorcycle wreck.  Harley traveling about 55-60 and at a bridge there is a 1-1.5” uneven vertical joint where the bridge joins the pavement.  Road is lower than the bridge.  Would that bump be a significant enough obstacle to cause the bike to lose control?  There are other issues but that is the big one.
Definitely could be.  Which model Harley?
Don’t know that yet but it is a big one

Threebean

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »

Productive day here, neighbor friend brought his mega hot 30 year old wife down for a visit.  He and I been drinking while my eyes targeted her assets like a laser beam.

Lawyer called me and offered me some nice whiskey money to go look at a crash scene for him next week.
Don’t you worry😀

You and been can help me, it is a damn motorcycle wreck.  Harley traveling about 55-60 and at a bridge there is a 1-1.5” uneven vertical joint where the bridge joins the pavement.  Road is lower than the bridge.  Would that bump be a significant enough obstacle to cause the bike to lose control?  There are other issues but that is the big one.
That is a large and abrupt change in elevation, but if the bike were going that speed and encountered it straight on, I'd say unlikely without mitigating factors like wet pavement or interfering traffic.  At slower speed or at an angle, then yes, could cause a crash.

Threebean

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »

Don’t you worry😀

TWSS

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »

Don’t you worry😀

Okay, here's the deal. For the past thirty years or so, Harley has had essentially four lines of bikes, each of which had a different frame and suspension. For the 2018 model year, they've reduced to three. The four were, in order of overall size and weight: Sportster, Dyna, Softail, and Electra-Glide (sometimes called the touring bikes). The Dyna line has now been eliminated. 

I wouldn't expect a Sportster, Dyna, or Softail to mind a 1"-1.5" bump, assuming the rider is semi-competent.  But the big Touring bikes - the Electra-Glide line which includes the Road King, Street Glide, Road Glide, and Ultras - have a unique design feature: the forks are mounted behind the head tube of the frame rather than in front. This improves the mechanical advantage to the rider, especially at high speed on open road, but it can make steering a little squirelly at low speeds or when decelerating, especially if it the bike hasn't been maintained well, tires are worn or aren't properly inflated, roads are rough, wet, or oily, or if the rider isn't terribly experienced with these bikes.

So if he was going onto the bridge, riding a Harley touring bike, not thoroughly experienced on the type, and hit a 1-1.5" bump, he could find himself in a situation that spooked him, overcompensate, and lose control of the bike. If the road was wet or there was some gravel on it, multiply by two.  It would definitely be something I'd investigate.

That help?

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »

Oh, and was there a passenger on the bike? Because that could be a major influence as well.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »

Don’t you worry😀

That is a large and abrupt change in elevation, but if the bike were going that speed and encountered it straight on, I'd say unlikely without mitigating factors like wet pavement or interfering traffic.  At slower speed or at an angle, then yes, could cause a crash.
Thanks, there is a possible factor being pine straw on the pavement according to the police report.

Also there is a long curve in the road just before the bridge .  Roadway is asphalt and bridge is concrete.  The picture shows the curve and you can see where the bridge joins the pavement which is where he lost control.  Daytime and dry.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »

Oh, and was there a passenger on the bike? Because that could be a major influence as well.
No passenger and that info is all very helpful.  My job is to find every conceivable problem with the roadway but it helps to have some idea of how those factors might weigh in and I don’t know doodle-poo about motorcycles.

Thanks!

Threebean

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »

No passenger and that info is all very helpful.  My job is to find every conceivable problem with the roadway but it helps to have some idea of how those factors might weigh in and I don’t know doodle-poo about motorcycles.

Thanks!
And I know doodle-poo about roadway design, but there shouldn't be that large of an inconsistency without some warning signs or reduced speed, especially at the end of a curve leading onto a bridge.  That is a gradual curve, but a rider's concentration increases as one enters any curve and decreases after leaving it.  A big bump at that bridge immediately after the curve surely caught him off guard.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »

Don’t you worry😀

Thanks, there is a possible factor being pine straw on the pavement according to the police report.

Also there is a long curve in the road just before the bridge .  Roadway is asphalt and bridge is concrete.  The picture shows the curve and you can see where the bridge joins the pavement which is where he lost control.  Daytime and dry.
That curve shouldn't really factor. Lots of room to have straightened the bike by then.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »

What I wouldn't give to have a webcam on cigarbanter.com, checking on GrampaDave's progress.
I'm doing just Fukkin' fine, thank you very much.  This ain't my first rodeo.

They listen a hell of a lot better  when their parents aren't around.  Their biggest punishment from their mother is having to listen to her drone on and on.  I prefer to be a man of few words.
Hahaha. That's hilarious.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »

Speaking of Connies, had an Aganorsa Leaf Connie this morning.  Whole lot a pepper and body!  Possibly the boldest Connie I've had.
That's a bold statement. I tend to like pepper. Was it off-putting?
No, very refined, flavorful and enjoyable.
Here's what some other folks say about it...

https://halfwheel.com/aganorsa-leaf-tabsa-connecticut-toro

https://cigar-coop.com/2016/11/cigar-review-aganorsa-leaf-tabsa-connecticut-toro-by-casa-fernandez.html
"The retrohale is still home to the majority of the flavors, now a deep oak, lots of olive oil, Himalayan salt, burnt butter and some daffodils."  Really?  This dude's just makin' schitt up now.
Hahaha. I wish I had such a refined palate.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »

Look at you, doing some consulting on the side. Why am I getting images of My Cousin Vinny?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »

Don’t you worry

At first I read that as 1-1.5 feet and thought, HELL YEAH, THAT WOULD MAKE YOU LOSE CONTROL.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »

Thanks!
And I know doodle-poo about roadway design, but there shouldn't be that large of an inconsistency without some warning signs or reduced speed, especially at the end of a curve leading onto a bridge.  That is a gradual curve, but a rider's concentration increases as one enters any curve and decreases after leaving it.  A big bump at that bridge immediately after the curve surely caught him off guard.
The other thing to note is that the bump may be more significant than the specs indicate. Out here on Interstate 5 crossing the Nisqually River, there is a joint like you describe, but it's aggravated by depressions caused by millions of semi-truck wheels hitting that joint. So if you measure the difference at the joint it just looks like a 1" difference, but back up to where the wheel patch of the front tire of a semi is when the front of the tire hits the joint, and you'll find a deeper depression that will play havoc with a biker. Then consider that after the bike's front wheel hits the depression and the joint and spooks the rider, the back wheel hits the depressions and the joint and bounces his weight up off the seat, and now you've got a sphincter check going on. Throw some straw on the road, and the change of surface and you've got things starting to pile up negatively.

I'm a trained rider with a lot of experience on street and dirt bikes, so I just habitually prepare for ugliness going on to bridges - keep it straight, contract my leg muscles, prepare for the bumps. But if the rider isn't trained or is new to the bike, real easy to see how he could wind up chewing on concrete.

Threebean

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

Thanks!
The other thing to note is that the bump may be more significant than the specs indicate. Out here on Interstate 5 crossing the Nisqually River, there is a joint like you describe, but it's aggravated by depressions caused by millions of semi-truck wheels hitting that joint. So if you measure the difference at the joint it just looks like a 1" difference, but back up to where the wheel patch of the front tire of a semi is when the front of the tire hits the joint, and you'll find a deeper depression that will play havoc with a biker. Then consider that after the bike's front wheel hits the depression and the joint and spooks the rider, the back wheel hits the depressions and the joint and bounces his weight up off the seat, and now you've got a sphincter check going on. Throw some straw on the road, and the change of surface and you've got things starting to pile up negatively.

I'm a trained rider with a lot of experience on street and dirt bikes, so I just habitually prepare for ugliness going on to bridges - keep it straight, contract my leg muscles, prepare for the bumps. But if the rider isn't trained or is new to the bike, real easy to see how he could wind up chewing on concrete.
What he said.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9