CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: 1/16/2019  (Read 8390 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 1/16/2019
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »

Had chicken fried steak for lunch at a local meat & three, not bad but it did make me miss Texas.
Good chicken fried steak is difficult to find here as well, but probably not as scarce as there.
There are some good ones here but only a few and far between.

Yeah, I know some really good ones in tx but they are not as easy to find as they used to be.  Cafe in Mason has a real good one and the best I ever found was a little dump called the Ranch Hand Cafe a few miles outside of Cleveland (TX )

Photo is the “small” one the regular will cover the entire plate and then some.
Willow Creek Cafe in Mason?  I had the CFS there two years ago and it was not great.  Never been to the place in Cleveland.   
Willow Creek is correct but probably been 8-10 years since I was there and with the tourist influx in Mason over the years i would not at all be surprised if it has gone downhill.

Used to get some really good ones when traveling around the little towns in West Texas but most of the little towns have literally gone out of business.

BUT, nothing  beats the Chicken Fried Beef Rib at Jack Alken’s

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »

Had chicken fried steak for lunch at a local meat & three, not bad but it did make me miss Texas.
Good chicken fried steak is difficult to find here as well, but probably not as scarce as there.

Yeah, I know some really good ones in tx but they are not as easy to find as they used to be.  Cafe in Mason has a real good one and the best I ever found was a little dump called the Ranch Hand Cafe a few miles outside of Cleveland (TX )

looks good.

Threebean

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »

Willow Creek Cafe in Mason?  I had the CFS there two years ago and it was not great.  Never been to the place in Cleveland.   
Willow Creek is correct but probably been 8-10 years since I was there and with the tourist influx in Mason over the years i would not at all be surprised if it has gone downhill.

Used to get some really good ones when traveling around the little towns in West Texas but most of the little towns have literally gone out of business.

BUT, nothing  beats the Chicken Fried Beef Rib at Jack Alken’s
You got that right!

Threebean

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »

looks good.
General rule of thumb, if two sizes are offered, get the "small".  It will be plenty big.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

looks good.
General rule of thumb, if two sizes are offered, get the "small".  It will be plenty big.
Absolutely!!!

Hungry Hunter in Llano used to have a pretty good CFS too. 

Threebean

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »

looks good.
Absolutely!!!

I have eaten there but don't recall having the CFS.  We usually eat an Inman's when in Llano.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »

Is a "meat & three" a thing?
Is in the south.
I get what it means. But is it the name given to the type of meal, type of restaurant, or both?

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »

looks good.
Absolutely!!!

I have eaten there but don't recall having the CFS.  We usually eat an Inman's when in Llano.
So many of the good Hill Country places have gone to crap over the years because of the damn tourists.  I don’t think there is a decent place left in Brady and I know there has not been one in Fredericksburg for years.

Threebean

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »

looks good.
Absolutely!!!

So many of the good Hill Country places have gone to crap over the years because of the damn tourists.  I don’t think there is a decent place left in Brady and I know there has not been one in Fredericksburg for years.
Fredericksburg is absolutely overrun with tourists.  Don't attempt to drive through it on a spring weekend or Christmastime, it's all but gridlocked.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2019, 03:35:59 PM »

Is a "meat & three" a thing?
Is in the south.
I get what it means. But is it the name given to the type of meal, type of restaurant, or both?
“Working Man’s Lunch” consisting of a meat and 3 sides and usually offering of 5-7 to choose from.  May be a meat with 2 sides and dessert.   It would also usually have cornbread or a biscuit with it and used to always include ice tea but that is not so common anymore.

Back in the day on the oil rigs they often called them “Squares”.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »

looks good.
Absolutely!!!

Fredericksburg is absolutely overrun with tourists.  Don't attempt to drive through it on a spring weekend or Christmastime, it's all but gridlocked.
It’s been that way for at least 10-12 years but Brady is no better.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »

Well I think we all learned something today.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »

This is the place to learn, something new everyday 😀

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »

...... but how profitable was it?

Threebean

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2019, 05:41:41 PM »

Lack of profit lull.

So, back for a minute to the Richard Overton services last weekend.  Some great photos from the Statesman.
https://www.statesman.com/photogallery/TX/20190112/NEWS/112009999/PH/1?fbclid=IwAR1H3vO4-qNjfuK1OBsYCtuUFe53SvxUbVPk314AE-FwpCN_puqxVZJZCa8
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9