CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: 3/24/2015  (Read 38876 times)

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
Re: 3/24/2015
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »

Nice to contribute a little. BTW, you HP guys should try Tobermory. They're nailing the island style right now.

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
  • We don't need no stinking apple, give me my Gurkha
« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »

Hazzuh!
have a good Day Dave of the LTG variety....

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »

Flip, I think the most important question here is, what does your son currently enjoy??  Being new or not really knowing is a valid answer, too.  So much variety that you could give him the most expensive Islay scotch on the market and he'll hate it if he doesn't care for that style.
Islays are always a risky proposition anyway.  Too strong a taste for most folks new to scotch, and among longtime scotch drinkers there are those who love it and those who despise it.  My general rule of thumb if buying a bottle for someone is, "Highland for noobs, Speyside for vets, and Islay only if I know they love it."  Of course, Brits will castigate the Highland scotches as "Lady's Scotch," and seem to believe Scotch begins and ends in Speyside...but dafuck do the Brits know?

Seems like a good rule from my limited understanding of the regions.
I know nothing about the Lowland scotches, so will be interested to hear what you think of the Auchentoshan.

I need to start taking some notes at these tastings, especially the ones where most everything is new to me.   I'll definitely report back tomorrow.
IMO lowlands are the most challenging.
In what sense?  To find, to characterize, or to enjoy?
To characterize.  I think the lowland style is unmistakable yet difficult to define.  It's not peaty, not fruity.  Honeyed might be close.  Herbal too.  It's just, lowland.
  Well, too much has been made of the whole "regional" thing in any case.  It's somehow human nature to look for the "voodoo" that makes, say, a great Islay scotch.  The fact is, politics and commercial concerns had more to do with regional differences than unique craftsmanship ever did.
Maybe among the biggies but the little distilleries maintain a sense of region.  I do agree that you don't need to be on Islay for a great peated whisky though.  There's Benriach Curiositas, Ledaig, Longrow...
So you are the go to for Scotch as well as free shipping codes??  Need to leave an address where we can summon you when needed...or will a light in the sky work?  Always need to keep stock of where the valued resources are.
I do a lot of scotch tasting and research.  PA is the worst for booze so when I order online it has to be worth it.  I just guess the free ship codes.

Well, I appreciate the input. There's a lot of good information in here today. Not sure if that's a good thing for Tuesday's "sub-standards", but it's appreciated nonetheless.

Now, what's the damn code!  ;D jk
I got nothin'.

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »

Nice to contribute a little. BTW, you HP guys should try Tobermory. They're nailing the island style right now.
that's a story by H.H. Munro, who went by Saki, some of the scariest schitt, I've ever read...

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »

flip from jersey

• Founding Member
  • Endeared Status
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »

that's a story by H.H. Munro, who went by Saki, some of the scariest schitt, I've ever read...
Tobermory highly awarded, 15 year old ain't inexpensive....
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/TOBERMORY-15YR-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH-WHISKY-312p14332.htm
i had given this 16yr old, previously 

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »

Time to go get my hairs cut!

Ogie

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »

Tobermory highly awarded, 15 year old ain't inexpensive....
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/TOBERMORY-15YR-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH-WHISKY-312p14332.htm
i had given this 16yr old, previously  TOMINTOUL 16YR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
The 10 is delicious at half that price.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »

That makes your cigar look bigger as well.  ;) ;D

Have a good one, Shuan

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »

Flip, I think the most important question here is, what does your son currently enjoy??  Being new or not really knowing is a valid answer, too.  So much variety that you could give him the most expensive Islay scotch on the market and he'll hate it if he doesn't care for that style.
Islays are always a risky proposition anyway.  Too strong a taste for most folks new to scotch, and among longtime scotch drinkers there are those who love it and those who despise it.  My general rule of thumb if buying a bottle for someone is, "Highland for noobs, Speyside for vets, and Islay only if I know they love it."  Of course, Brits will castigate the Highland scotches as "Lady's Scotch," and seem to believe Scotch begins and ends in Speyside...but dafuck do the Brits know?

Seems like a good rule from my limited understanding of the regions.
I know nothing about the Lowland scotches, so will be interested to hear what you think of the Auchentoshan.

I need to start taking some notes at these tastings, especially the ones where most everything is new to me.   I'll definitely report back tomorrow.
IMO lowlands are the most challenging.
In what sense?  To find, to characterize, or to enjoy?
To characterize.  I think the lowland style is unmistakable yet difficult to define.  It's not peaty, not fruity.  Honeyed might be close.  Herbal too.  It's just, lowland.
  Well, too much has been made of the whole "regional" thing in any case.  It's somehow human nature to look for the "voodoo" that makes, say, a great Islay scotch.  The fact is, politics and commercial concerns had more to do with regional differences than unique craftsmanship ever did.
Maybe among the biggies but the little distilleries maintain a sense of region.  I do agree that you don't need to be on Islay for a great peated whisky though.  There's Benriach Curiositas, Ledaig, Longrow...
So you are the go to for Scotch as well as free shipping codes??  Need to leave an address where we can summon you when needed...or will a light in the sky work?  Always need to keep stock of where the valued resources are.
I do a lot of scotch tasting and research.  PA is the worst for booze so when I order online it has to be worth it.  I just guess the free ship codes.
Either way, it seems to work.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »

short ones?

Oyam18

• Founding Member