CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: 7/6/2014  (Read 29188 times)

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 7/6/2014
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »

Huh.  That's odd. 

dwgbryant

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »

okay, now the Partagas Black tubo. Jeep done.

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »

Whatever, the images work and the tags are showing up.  Tony, have you been fucking with the settings again? 

Anywho, the RG isn't the prettiest little smoke.  I picked one of the worst looking ones to start first.  Not all of them have the coarse seams and bunching around veins or foot damage.  Nice shade wrapper.  Slight variance across the box--a few a little lighter, a few a little darker, but nothing major.

Prelight aroma is mild.  Honey sweet tobacco with some floral accents.  Just a dash of pepper at the foot. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »

Whatever, the images work and the tags are showing up.  Tony, have you been fucking with the settings again? 

Anywho, the RG isn't the prettiest little smoke.  I picked one of the worst looking ones to start first.  Not all of them have the coarse seams and bunching around veins or foot damage.  Nice shade wrapper.  Slight variance across the box--a few a little lighter, a few a little darker, but nothing major.

Prelight aroma is mild.  Honey sweet tobacco with some floral accents.  Just a dash of pepper at the foot.
No sir.  I haven't done anything since I enabled Tapatalk.  Wonder if it's a space issue.  I may wind up deleting attachments from old posts, if that's the case.  I doubt it though.  I ain't looking into it until tomorrow.  Heading to bed after my next post.

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

No sir.  I haven't done anything since I enabled Tapatalk.  Wonder if it's a space issue.  I may wind up deleting attachments from old posts, if that's the case.  I doubt it though.  I ain't looking into it until tomorrow.  Heading to bed after my next post.

Is that a promise?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

[quote name="LSUFAN" post=16118 timestamp=1404628163]<br />On this day in 1988, an explosion rips through an oil rig in the North Sea, killing 167 workers. It was the worst offshore oil-rig disaster in history.<br /><br />The Piper Alpha rig, which was the largest in the North Sea, was owned by Occidental Oil and had approximately 225 workers onboard at the time of the explosion. It was located about 120 miles off the northeast coast of Scotland. On the evening of July 6, a gas leak led to a massive explosion and fire on the rig. A fireball 350 feet high erupted from the platform.<br /><br />The fire emitted toxic fumes that overwhelmed and killed many of the workers. Others jumped more than 100 feet to the sea below to escape the flames and fumes, even though they knew that the fall would most likely be fatal. A couple of workers managed to survive the jump; others somehow avoided death by sliding down pipes into the treacherous waters below, where burning oil was floating on the cold sea. They were then rescued by helicopters and nearby boats.<br /><br />Oil drilling in the North Sea began in the 1970s and has had a mixed safety record. This disaster was by far the largest single incident; most other deaths on the 120 rigs in the sea have been due to bad weather.<br /><br />A 1990 inquiry into the disaster was critical of the safety procedures on the Occidental rig before the disaster, but did not identify the direct cause of the explosion itself. A civil action was resolved in 1997 with a finding that two deceased workers were negligent, but that decision has not been generally accepted.<br />[/quote]Just a addendum: A pipeline pump was taken out of service due to a pressure safety valve that was removed for repair. The work permit was not completed, or know body saw it. This pump was started, and it had a spacer over the flange that had the previous valve installed. This pump should not have been used, but the other shift was not aware, and when they started it the oil was pumped into the Pump room, and started a fire. There were other platforms that flowed gas and oil to this facility, and when they got an alarm, they called. No one answered. They kept the pipeline valves opened as was the policy, and that contributed to the destruction of this facility and the loss of lives. This was a production platform--just like I have worked on for the last 26 years. We look to this tragedy often, because this was the worst accident on a platform ever. The whole Work permit, and Job safety analysis paperwork has come about because of Piper Alpha.<br/>

May those men rest in peace.  Be safe Mr. Glass.

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »

I'm starting to take this shit personally.  Fuck this, I'm going to bed.
Buh Bi, Tony

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

Small punch on the Vector/Bugatti lighter reveals a great draw, just a touch of resistance.  For a small 4x40 smoke like this, that's important, imo. 

Cold draw has some herbal and woody notes. 

Quick and easy light, plenty of smoke.  Initial flavors are creamy sweet tobacco, touch of coffee, and a light amount of pepper. 

dwgbryant

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

what's Tapatalk?

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »

what's Tapatalk?
thats how Tony makes money on us.

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Small punch on the Vector/Bugatti lighter reveals a great draw, just a touch of resistance.  For a small 4x40 smoke like this, that's important, imo. 

Quick and easy light, plenty of smoke.  Initial flavors are creamy sweet tobacco, touch of coffee, and a light amount of pepper.
Will the coronas are a fair price, I like that blend. See if it picks up as you go along, the 2nd 1/2 of the corona was great!

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »

Will the coronas are a fair price, I like that blend. See if it picks up as you go along, the 2nd 1/2 of the corona was great!

Puroexpress lists $142 for a box of 25 Corona extras and that's a solid price for that vitola.  Alas, they're out of stock.

They also have a sleeve of 25 the Perlas for $70.  Given that most  minuto type vitolas go for the $100/box range, this being ever so slightly smaller at 30% less is a good price, imo. 

Wenglish

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »

Flavors after the first inch or so.

The flavors are complex or a bit muddy.  Depends on how you want to spin it.  Since it tastes very good, especially for 1 day OTT (Sep '12 box), I'll go with complex.

Mild amount of pepper--think easy going Hoyo.  Sweet tobacco.  I'm getting a mix of coffee with cream and sugar type flavor, chocolaty notes, touch of leather (that seems to be growing a little), general woody/oak flavor.   As I go, the body/core tobacco note is getting stronger. 

Overall medium bodied with a fairly rich flavor that is sweet.   

Oyam18

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • El Matador del Banter
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Flavors after the first inch or so.

The flavors are complex or a bit muddy.  Depends on how you want to spin it.  Since it tastes very good, especially for 1 day OTT (Sep '12 box), I'll go with complex.

Mild amount of pepper--think easy going Hoyo.  Sweet tobacco.  I'm getting a mix of coffee with cream and sugar type flavor, chocolaty notes, touch of leather (that seems to be growing a little), general woody/oak flavor.   As I go, the body/core tobacco note is getting stronger. 

Overall medium bodied with a fairly rich flavor that is sweet.   
I think you made a good buy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10