Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »

Edit: I can't just let this go...
Tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplant are fruits, peaches and plums are drupes, peanuts are legumes, I can't keep this all straight. Are these things mutually exclusive? Can you be a fruit and a drupe? A nut and a legume?

What does a chestnut identify as?
Chestnut are true nuts.
Or as my father used to yell out when in a spot where he could not yell SHIT, "AWWWW NUTS"
Ha, my dad, too.  In fact, can't recall my dad ever using foul language in front of us kids.  Evening, Dave
Oh my dad never much minded cussing but I have never heard that aw nuts anywhere else and never knew where he picked it up.
Same here, figured it was an army thing.  Someone must have taught him that officers shouldn't cuss like enlisted men.
You know that could be the case cause my dad was an officer in the Army Air Corp in WW II
Mine was regular army during WWII, European theater.  Discharged as a Lt Col. He never talked about it.
Mine was a pilot but as a flight instructor he never left the U.S.  FIL fought in the Battle of the Bulge and he never much talked about it.
Those were some men.
Rough going, FIL said the wet cold winter weather was really the worst part.  Thought every time he went to sleep he would die from freezing
My dad was at one point assigned to a POW camp. He gave one German soldier who said he was an artist some paper and charcoal.  He proceeded to draw a portrait of my dad. Still have it framed on the wall in the living room.  That's the only story he told from the war.
That is pretty neat.
Thanks, I think so, too. He passed away 40 yrs ago. So much more I wish I could have learned from him.

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »

I am watching SMU whoop ass on Houston
And Auburn is manhandling the Hogs.
Auburn sounds hot. Like a lady I'd wanna date.

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

[...]

My FIL was Navy during Korea. He was stateside the whole time, also.  Airplane maintenance crew.  These days he sometimes doesn't recognize my wife but remembers working on those planes and making sure they were fixed right.
Isn't that the darndest thing? My mom recites poems she learnt in the 3rd grade but doesn't recognize any of her children.

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »

I am watching SMU whoop ass on Houston
And Auburn is manhandling the Hogs.
Auburn sounds hot. Like a lady I'd wanna date.
56-3 final.  Ouch.  She'd be scoring at will with you, too, eh Mr. Mayor?

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »

CUBS WIN!

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 11:40:43 PM »

CUBS WIN!
Completely forgot about the game. Oh well, I'll catch them in the World Series.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]