Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »

FinallyBeyondPageOneSheesh.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »

October 22 is … National Nut Day

History of Nut Day
The Liberation Foods Company organized Nut Day to celebrate the long and storied history of the nut, as well as to dispel some pernicious myths, such as the persistent idea that peanuts are a nut for instance. Nuts have been part of our diets for time out of mind, a trait we likely learned by following our fuzzy four footed brethren to their winter stores.

Since the inception of Nut Day, great festivals have sprung up around the world to celebrate the versatility and great taste of the nut. There’s nothing like the rich smell of roast nuts to remind you that fall is here, and there is nothing to soothe a sweet tooth like a roast candied nut. Orange Glazed, Cinnamon, Sweet Chipotle are just a few of the common and more unusual flavors available in the world of the nut.

How to Celebrate Nut Day
The best way to celebrate Nut Day is by treating yourself to your favorite nut related treat. Whether that’s a nut rich doughnut or a bag of your favorite roasted nuts, Nut Day is an opportunity to indulge in the rich, nutty taste of.. well.. nuts!
When celebrating however, be sure you're celebrating a nut and not a drupe...and definitely not a legume!

A legume is typically a pod with multiple seeds that will start to open on its own as it becomes ready for harvesting. A nut is typified by a hard outer shell protecting a single seed that we would call the “nut,” and does not open on its own. A drupe is basically a nut with a pulpy fruit around it. An example of a drupe whose nut seed you wouldn’t eat is a peach; one whose seed we would eat is an almond.

Peanuts are often confused as nuts due to their name and the fact that they’re similar in taste and structure to most nuts available on the market. However, it is indeed technically a legume.

A drupe is the most interesting of them all. It turns out that many things we assume to be nuts (such as almonds or walnuts and pecans) are actually drupes. A drupe is a fruit that is pulpy on the outside, and has a hard shell on the inside that contains one seed. In most cases you eat the outer fleshy part of the fruit and discard the “stone.” Examples of this are drupes such as the plum, or peach, where you would never imagine eating anything but the flesh.
That's just nuts!

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

Edit: I can't just let this go...
Tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplant are fruits, peaches and plums are drupes, peanuts are legumes, I can't keep this all straight. Are these things mutually exclusive? Can you be a fruit and a drupe? A nut and a legume?

What does a chestnut identify as?

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »

And good late morning to all.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »

And good late morning to all.
Good afternoon Tony.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »

And good late morning to all.
Good afternoon Tony.
Hello, Mike. How's this autumn Saturday treating you?

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »

And good late morning to all.
Good afternoon Tony.
Hello, Mike. How's this autumn Saturday treating you?
First raking of the leaves.  About four or five to go.  Heavy rain washed all the leaves down the street and leaves (pun intended) the leaves piled in front of the house.  City of Oxford will come around and haul the leaves off - eventually.  Fall has fell.

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »

Erik Espinosa & Master Sensei Saddle Up for the Return of Sarsaparilla!
Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla.  Anyone?

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »

Erik Espinosa & Master Sensei Saddle Up for the Return of Sarsaparilla!
Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla.  Anyone?
Anyone?

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »

Erik Espinosa & Master Sensei Saddle Up for the Return of Sarsaparilla!
Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla.  Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »

And good late morning to all.
Good afternoon Tony.
Hello, Mike. How's this autumn Saturday treating you?
First raking of the leaves.  About four or five to go.  Heavy rain washed all the leaves down the street and leaves (pun intended) the leaves piled in front of the house.  City of Oxford will come around and haul the leaves off - eventually.  Fall has fell.
The leaves are may beginning to fall for us this weekend. But can't do any raking and blowing with the current rain we're getting. But just the thought...

I told my daughter recently that Fall was my favorite season. I forgot about all the work. And since I don't have allergies, I think I will call Spring my favorite.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

Erik Espinosa & Master Sensei Saddle Up for the Return of Sarsaparilla!
Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla.  Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?
Sorry, brother. Must be before my time.

Edit: I had to look it up. Looks like a Famous exclusive. But I assumed it was named after something? Something before my time? Now I'm confused.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »

Edit: I can't just let this go...
Tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplant are fruits, peaches and plums are drupes, peanuts are legumes, I can't keep this all straight. Are these things mutually exclusive? Can you be a fruit and a drupe? A nut and a legume?

What does a chestnut identify as?
Chestnut are true nuts.

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

And while you're getting ready for chestnut season, here are the nutritional facts for you Tony:

Health benefits of chestnut
Chestnuts, unlike other nuts and seeds, are relatively low in calories, carry less fat, but are rich sources of minerals, vitamins and phyto-nutrients that immensely benefit health.

Another unique feature of chestnuts is that they chiefly made of starch in contrast to other seeds and nuts, which are high in calorie, protein, and fat. Chestnuts nutrition composition is, therfore, comparable to that of other staple starch foods such as sweet potato, sweet corn, potatoes, plantain, etc., Nevertheless; they are still good sources of minerals, vitamins and some good-quality protein than cereals and tubers.

They are a good source of dietary fiber; provide 8.1 g (about 21% of RDI) per 100 g. Fiber diet helps lower blood cholesterol levels by limiting excess cholesterol absorption in the intestines.

Chestnuts stand out from other edible nuts for their distinctive nutrition profile. They are exceptionally rich in vitamin-C. 100 g nuts provide 43 mg of vitamin C (72 % of DRI). Vitamin C is required for matrix formation in teeth, bones and blood vessels. Being a strong anti-oxidant, it offers protection from harmful free radicals.

Again, as in green-leafy vegetables, chestnuts are rich in folates, which is quite a rare but unique feature for nuts and seeds. 100 g nuts provide 62 µg of folates (or 15.5%). Folic acid is required for the formation of red blood cells, and DNA synthesis. Adequate consumption of food rich in folates during the peri-conception period helps prevent neural tube defects in the fetus.

Like true nuts, they too are rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty like oleic acid (18:1) and palmitoleic acids (16:1). Studies suggest that monounsaturated fats (MUFs) in the diet help lower total as well as LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL (good cholesterol) levels within the blood. Mediterranean diet which is rich in dietary-fiber, MUFs, omega fatty acids and antioxidants help prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.

The nuts are an excellent source of minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc, besides providing a very good amount of potassium (518 mg / 100 g). Potassium helps counter hypertensive action of sodium, lowers heart rate and blood pressure. Iron helps prevent microcytic-anemia. Magnesium and phosphorus are important components of bone metabolism.

Further, they are also rich in many important B-complex groups of vitamins. 100 g of nuts provide 11% of niacin, 29% of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), 100% of thiamin, and 12% of riboflavin.

Chestnuts, like hazelnuts and almonds, etc., are free from gluten. And for the same reason, they are one of the popular ingredients in the preparation of gluten-free food formulas intended for use in gluten-sensitive, wheat allergy, and celiac disease patients.

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

Erik Espinosa & Master Sensei Saddle Up for the Return of Sarsaparilla!
Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla.  Anyone?
With one "orange" exception, not much of an Espinosa fan.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5