Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

  • Administrator
8/19/2016
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:00:09 AM »

Happy Friday!  Any deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about?  Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »

Oh, and be prepared for a Friday jam.
What the heck do I know?

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:18:58 AM »

It's late when I'm getting around to reading this (watching Nats, Avo Nica Synchro ... thanks, Oy.) But I have to comment to at least give some perspective: fact - about 4% of priests offended (way too many, should have been 0), out of those, 80% were adult males on adolescent males (technically "ephebophelia"), so what does that tell you - it was a homosexual problem - letting these priests marry would not have been the solution, capiche?  When adult men came forward, explaining what happened to them and how it damaged them, it showed just how destructive sexual abuse of minors by adults really is.  That being said, every priest should have been given due process, because some greedy folks decided to cash in on the reparations bonanza and there were many priests that were falsely accused and lost their reputations, their lifelong vocations, plus their freedoms. Those who were guilty, you know what Jesus said their punishments would be. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.  Final point: I know many fine priests who live out their vocations spending themselves for the care of souls (many left girlfriends & fiancées behind in wrenching decisions when they believed they were being called ... they would have been good husbands and family men, so it was a huge sacrifice for them & their families do they could be undivided in their devotion to Christ & His Church). So please don't smear all Catholic priests with a broad brush, for the ugly criminal actions of a few.  FWIW: I was an altar boy from 3rd grade through HS and was never once approached in a sexual way.  Then I totally strayed during college and after, living like a baptized pagan, but that's another story.
Politics and religion are dangerous topics to joke around with and I apologize if I made light of a serious issue. However I must completely disagree with you on this one, Sly. Although we should never paint ANY group with a broad brush, what the guilty priests did was pedophilia. And that has NOTHING to do with homosexuality. The latter is completely legal in this country and no one is victimized by it. Capisci?

- another baptized pagan

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:57:07 AM »

[...]

Indeed. But we were joking about concepts, not people. That's satire. There are many fine, Godly priests doing a lot of good in the world. I know a number of them.

But there has also been an institutional problem in the Catholic church going back centuries, and it protected predatorial priests.

Protestants have had predators too, but there is no analog in the Protestant realm for the massive, powerful bureaucracy of the Vatican. And there is no celibacy requirement for Protestant pastors, so it doesn't tend to be fertile ground for sexual deviance on the scale of what happened in the Catholic church in Boston...to name the most famous example.

But no, I don't paint the Catholic church or all priests as deviants, and in fairness I don't think anyone here did. We simply joked about a stereotype that the Catholic church brought on itself and, in truth, it must own that or be condemned as impenitent.

That kind of satire can be leveled at the Protestant realm as well. After all, we gave the world Televangelists with an eye for hookers.

But Sly, I am a bona-fide licensed pastor in the Evangelical Free denomination, so I hear what you're saying, and it's true. There are jokes I won't make in other company, but here we all know where we stand.  Still, I hope I didn't offend you, and if I did, I'll apologize for it.

Grace and Peace.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 06:09:45 AM »

Grace and peace - indeed.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »

Heady start to the Friday morning banter.  Well stated by all.  Amen

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:02 AM »

Now on with the show.  Morning CB.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 06:24:48 AM »

Today is Friday, Aug. 19, the 232nd day of 2016. There are 134 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Aug. 19, 1991, Soviet hard-liners stunned the world by announcing that President Mikhail S. Gorbachev had been removed from power. (The coup attempt collapsed two days later.)

On this date:

In A.D. 14, Caesar Augustus, Rome's first emperor, died at age 76 after a reign lasting four decades; he was succeeded by his stepson Tiberius.

In 1812, the USS Constitution defeated the British frigate HMS Guerriere off Nova Scotia during the War of 1812, earning the nickname "Old Ironsides."

In 1814, during the War of 1812, British forces landed at Benedict, Maryland, with the objective of capturing Washington D.C.

In 1918, "Yip! Yip! Yaphank," a musical revue by Irving Berlin featuring Army recruits from Camp Upton in Yaphank, New York, opened on Broadway.

In 1934, a plebiscite in Germany approved the vesting of sole executive power in Adolf Hitler.

In 1936, the first of a series of show trials orchestrated by Soviet leader Josef Stalin began in Moscow as 16 defendants faced charges of conspiring against the government (all were convicted and executed).

In 1942, during World War II, about 6,000 Canadian and British soldiers launched a disastrous raid against the Germans at Dieppe, France, suffering more than 50-percent casualties.

In 1955, torrential rains caused by Hurricane Diane resulted in severe flooding in the northeastern U.S., claiming some 200 lives.

In 1964, The Beatles opened their first full-fledged U.S. tour as they performed at San Francisco's Cow Palace.

In 1976, President Gerald R. Ford won the Republican presidential nomination at the party's convention in Kansas City.

In 1980, 301 people aboard a Saudi Arabian L-1011 died as the jetliner made a fiery emergency return to the Riyadh airport.

In 1991, rioting erupted in the Brooklyn, New York, Crown Heights neighborhood after a black 7-year-old, Gavin Cato, was struck and killed by a Jewish driver from the ultra-Orthodox Lubavitch community; three hours later, a gang of blacks fatally stabbed Yankel Rosenbaum, a rabbinical student.

Ten years ago: Israeli commandos raided a Hezbollah stronghold deep in Lebanon. (Israel said the raid was launched to stop arms smuggling from Iran and Syria to the militant Shiite fighters; Lebanon called the operation a "flagrant violation" of a U.N. truce.)

Five years ago: Three men - Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley - who'd spent nearly two decades in prison for the nightmarish slayings of three Cub Scouts in Arkansas, went free after they agreed to a legal maneuver allowing them to maintain their innocence while acknowledging prosecutors had enough evidence against them. Danell Leyva beat two-time defending champion Jonathan Horton for his first title at the U.S. gymnastics championships in St. Paul, Minnesota.

One year ago: Longtime Subway pitchman Jared Fogle agreed in federal court in Indianapolis to plead guilty to allegations that he'd paid for sex acts with minors and received child pornography. (Fogle pleaded guilty in Nov. 2015 to one count each of distributing and receiving child porn and traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a child, and was sentenced to more than 15 years in prison.) Islamic State militants beheaded 81-year-old Khaled al-Asaad, a leading Syrian antiquities scholar who'd spent most of his life looking after the ancient ruins of Palmyra

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 06:25:31 AM »

Today's Birthdays: Actor L.Q. Jones is 89. Actress Debra Paget is 83. USTA Eastern Tennis Hall of Famer Renee Richards is 82. Former MLB All-Star Bobby Richardson is 81. Actress Diana Muldaur is 78. Rock musician Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith) is 77. Singer Johnny Nash is 76. Actress Jill St. John is 76. Singer Billy J. Kramer is 73. Country singer-songwriter Eddy Raven is 72. Rock singer Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) is 71. Former President Bill Clinton is 70. Actor Gerald McRaney is 69. Tipper Gore, wife of former Vice President Al Gore, is 68. Actor Jim Carter is 68. Rock musician John Deacon (Queen) is 65. Actor-director Jonathan Frakes is 64. Political consultant Mary Matalin is 63. Actor Peter Gallagher is 61. Actor Adam Arkin is 60. Singer-songwriter Gary Chapman is 59. Actor Martin Donovan is 59. Pro Football Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz is 58. Rhythm-and-blues singer Ivan Neville is 57. Actor Eric Lutes is 54. Actor John Stamos is 53. Actress Kyra Sedgwick is 51. Actor Kevin Dillon is 51. Country singer Lee Ann Womack is 50. TV reporter Tabitha Soren is 49. Country singer-songwriter Mark McGuinn is 48. Actor Matthew Perry is 47. Country singer Clay Walker is 47. Rapper Fat Joe is 46. Olympic gold medal tennis player Mary Joe Fernandez is 45. Actress Tracie Thoms is 41. Actor Callum Blue is 39. Country singer Rissi (REE'-see) Palmer is 35. Actress Erika Christensen is 34. Actress Melissa Fumero is 34. Pop singer Missy Higgins is 33. Actor Peter Mooney is 33. Actress Tammin Sursok is 33. Country singer Karli Osborn is 32. Olympic silver medal snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis is 31. Actor J. Evan Bonifant is 31. Rapper Romeo is 27.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 06:26:01 AM »

Thought for Today: "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard H. Aiken, American computer pioneer (1900-1973).

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:40 AM »

Sis finally looking a little classy today with Room 101 offering.  Those ashtrays (no fingers, not four) for $20 when they were giving them away with deals before.  (I think I have four).

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 06:39:46 AM »

Good Friday everyone!....weell except already SaturdayDave and JustThursdayDave and EverydayIsMondayDean.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 06:43:26 AM »

Commie State Fairs are more fun it seems....you can get your blue ribbon pot plant as well as your favorite pig or goat!

http://nbc4i.com/2016/08/19/pot-plants-make-first-ever-appearance-at-oregon-state-fair/

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 06:44:24 AM »

Good morning David

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 06:49:41 AM »

Another exciting day on the Olympic track yesterday, Gold medal repeat for Aston Eaton, Bolt is still amazing....
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8