BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back

Back to cigars...

I tried a Cabaiguan in a sampler a while back and really enjoyed it. I have been looking to purchase more, but the price can be somewhat intimidating. Anyone else like these, and what's a good price to look for.

Also see it's available in a maduro... anyone?

Haven't shopped them much but feel like the lowest price I've seen has been at Cigar Auctioneer.  Couldn't tell you what the price is, though, I always miss the ends of the auction.  I just don't like them quite enough to justify the price, though I do enjoy them.  I've only had one maduro but I don't recall liking it as much as the non-maduro, whatever the wrapper was.  Also, not entirely sure which I've had (Cabaiguan, Cabaiguan RX, etc.).

I might just go back and hit the sampler again. That is probably the best deal I'm gonna find. Famous had a good one with (2) Cabaiguan, (2) LaRiqueza, and (2) El Triunfador

All good smokes, imo
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back

Oh, and good morning, Joe. GFY!

Hello, Steve.

Did you say you've tried the Pumking? What about the Warlock?

I have tried both, courtesy of Scott.  The Pumking was certainly a good expression of pumpkin beer.  Very pumpkin-y, with a graham cracker taste that reminded me of pumpkin ice cream.  I preferred the Warlock, though.  Pumpkin flavors weren't as intense and the sweeter stout base seemed to compliment it more.  Pumking would be nice once or twice a year, but I'd put Warlock in my 'rotation' of peanut butter, coffee, and chocolate stouts that I love.

I had a feeling you'd prefer the Imperial. Both good though.

Yeah, I tend to prefer the heavier stuff.  But not TOO heavy - those bourbon barrel beers tend to be a bit much for me.  Just WAY too sweet most of the time, and too boozy.  Which is weird, because I drink bourbon all the time, but for some reason in beers it's overpowering to me.  I've had a few recently where barrel influence wasn't very heavy, but they're usually an easy pass when I see some sort of limited release on the shelf.  They're more expensive, too, so the decision to not buy them is even easier.

Know what you mean about some of this stuff. I tried a Dragon's Milk, think it was New Holland. 10abv barrel aged stout. Had some difficulty finishing the 22, but finally downed it. Very boozy, and felt every bit of it. I recently re-visited with the 12oz versions. Easier to finish, but still very potent brews. Really got the bourbon flavor as well. You should give it a try if you haven't already... just to say you did. Ha!

Here's the writeup...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428/
Logged

jswaykos

[...]

I'll look for them at the shop.  Another brand that I haven't noticed but also haven't searched for.  I had an Epic Brewing "Big Bad Baptist" a few weeks ago that was good.  Bourbon barrel finished but wasn't over the top and I could easily make it through a 22oz bottle.  But when I first had Stone's WootStout 2.0, it took me 4 hours to make it through a bottle, haha.

Morning, all.  Looks like the Tuesday bitching is in full swing.
Not really, squash boy has been laying low, littlefish has been preoccupied and you just showed up.  So maybe gearing up now.
Going to a friends home inspection at 11a too since he couldn't get work off...going to need to banter my ass-off this afternoon!
You just letting them in, or are you knowledgeable in such matters?
It's new construction, so it should be pretty lax.  I consider myself handy(only takes a couple pumps) but his wife will be there and since we are good friends she wanted someone who is a homeowner, and a male, also there.
1-800-RENT-A-DOUCHE

Back to cigars...

I tried a Cabaiguan in a sampler a while back and really enjoyed it. I have been looking to purchase more, but the price can be somewhat intimidating. Anyone else like these, and what's a good price to look for.

Also see it's available in a maduro... anyone?
I've had several Cabaiguans, my favorite was the guapos. I like them a lot and they never seem to be on sale, kind of like most Tats or Room 101 stuff

Morning, all.  Looks like the Tuesday bitching is in full swing.
Not really, squash boy has been laying low, littlefish has been preoccupied and you just showed up.  So maybe gearing up now.
Going to a friends home inspection at 11a too since he couldn't get work off...going to need to banter my ass-off this afternoon!
You just letting them in, or are you knowledgeable in such matters?
It's new construction, so it should be pretty lax.  I consider myself handy(only takes a couple pumps) but his wife will be there and since we are good friends she wanted someone who is a homeowner, and a male, also there.
1-800-RENT-A-DOUCHE
Pretty sure that's the number his friend called.

[...]

That sampler came free with the Tat Black Jar I bought, ridiculous really. The Cabaiguan was the best of the bunch in the sampler IMO

Morning, all.  Looks like the Tuesday bitching is in full swing.
Not really, squash boy has been laying low, littlefish has been preoccupied and you just showed up.  So maybe gearing up now.
Going to a friends home inspection at 11a too since he couldn't get work off...going to need to banter my ass-off this afternoon!
You just letting them in, or are you knowledgeable in such matters?
It's new construction, so it should be pretty lax.  I consider myself handy(only takes a couple pumps) but his wife will be there and since we are good friends she wanted someone who is a homeowner, and a male, also there.
1-800-RENT-A-DOUCHE
Pretty sure that's the number his friend called.
I tried it before I posted, Sauce picked up
[...]

It's probably an easy pass given the variety of brewers in your area, but I think you'd appreciate it.

There is a new Sierra Nevada brewery going in Carolina. The BIL has set me up on a few limited releases because of that. Just not enough others in the area to get many of the options available out there. And if options do turn up, they are usually super limited. Talked to the shop owner when I picked up the Left Hand Octoberfest (which he only got 2 cases) about how he never has the shit I want that everyone is talking about... He's a good guy. We had a nice laugh which ended in, "no seriously".
[...]

Think that's how I got mine too. I was already onboard with the LaRiqueza from the mash, so these were an after thought. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.
[...]

You ever pull the trigger on the tat lancero sampler?
[...]

Just gotta build those relationships!  I have one shop here that has a ridiculous selection of whiskeys, beers, etc.  Been shopping there long enough that I usually get offered some 'special' stuff that he doesn't have out on shelves.  I'm still new to beer so I don't even know what those rare offerings are most of the time, but I take advantage of it with whiskey.  As for beer... I just roam the aisles and pick up whatever sounds good for now.

[...]

If you are looking for at Tatuaje sampler, I would suggest picking up the Pudgy Monsters box.  Nice variety, all are good, some are very good.  Within that sampler are two sticks called "Tiff" which are a Cabaiguan variant and are truly superior. (can't be purchased separately unfortunately).

[...]

Have you ever smoked the L'Atelier Lat46 Selection Speciale? That's a heck of a cigar IMO, stronger than the Cabaiguan for sure but on sale at Famous, tempting

[...]

Nice hidden post, rookie