CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: 10/17/2016  (Read 22085 times)

CigarBanter

• Administrator
  • Senior Status
10/17/2016
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:00:13 AM »

Dang, it's Monday again?!? Are there any cigar deals out there today to be had? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something about cigars along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
Re: 10/17/2016
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 12:44:59 AM »

In case it hasn't been reported...Steve Otamura - SteveO- died at 12:20 this afternoon (Sunday).  He went with his wife holding his hand.

My heart is broken today.  I never got to meet him face-to-face, but he was my friend.  We talked online about cigars and guns and marriage and Front Sight.  When I bought those FNS-40s, he sent me three holsters for them and I use them all the time.  I'm wearing one of them as I write this. 

He was a soldier, and the men he commanded loved him because he deeply understood when it was time to do things "by the book" and when it was time to let the guard down and let things slide.  He was a patriot, a soldier, and a good friend.  I'm going to miss him terribly. 

Fuk'n sucks.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:39:51 AM »

In case it hasn't been reported...Steve Otamura - SteveO- died at 12:20 this afternoon (Sunday).  He went with his wife holding his hand.

My heart is broken today.  I never got to meet him face-to-face, but he was my friend.  We talked online about cigars and guns and marriage and Front Sight.  When I bought those FNS-40s, he sent me three holsters for them and I use them all the time.  I'm wearing one of them as I write this. 

He was a soldier, and the men he commanded loved him because he deeply understood when it was time to do things "by the book" and when it was time to let the guard down and let things slide.  He was a patriot, a soldier, and a good friend.  I'm going to miss him terribly. 

Fuk'n sucks.
I'm truly sorry for your loss, Bret. It was posted on yesterday's banter and we are all mourning the loss of our BotL. Unfortunately, Chip's wife also past away yesterday around the same time. It's been a horrible month for our banter friends. May Steve and Elva rest in eternal peace.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:02 AM »

Fuk'n sucks.
I'm truly sorry for your loss, Bret. It was posted on yesterday's banter and we are all mourning the loss of our BotL. Unfortunately, Chip's wife also past away yesterday around the same time. It's been a horrible month for our banter friends. May Steve and Elva rest in eternal peace.
Damn. Just a bad day all over.

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 03:08:21 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for having been there for me this past year.  I know I haven't posted in awhile because of first my mom and then my wife, but I wanted to let you guys know that when things were bad I knew I could come here to get away from what was going on and was comforted. I also got hit with Steve's death this afternoon, Steve was also a very good friend and he and my wife's timeline this last two months were so similar in that they both started having problems at the same time, they both went home and back to the hospital at the same time and they both died at the same time.
I wil always be greatful for the friendships I gained on here and I know I will still be coming back here this next week to try and help me cope with the loss of my wife and my best friend.  The last 2 months have been very hard and it may be months before I can begin to cope with this. 
Please keep my family and I and my wife's twin in your prayers.
Please everyone hug your wife or girlfriend today and tell them you love them, don't take it for granted they will be here tomorrow and lose your chance. 
Thank you guys. 
Chip

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:25 AM »

Chip, please remember that you are not alone...we are always here for you. Our hearts are saddened by your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

It's been a rough year for losing friends and family. My baby sister passed away this year due to the pain of drug addiction she couldn't overcome. I remember the hope I felt when I took her to her first 12 step meeting and saw her on the way to recovery. That was 30 years ago and she suffered dearly. At least now I know she is at peace and no longer has to suffer.

Then we lost Barry, our Canadian friend. He visited me every year on his way back from Cigar Fest, got to meet my 'deadbeat family', shared cigars, laughter, and life. Then I got the opportunity to attend Cigar Fest 2013 and was treated to the life of Barry, the King of Cigar Fest. The greatest experience I had with Barry was the year I drove up to visit him for a weekend, meeting his parents, his kids, his community. He had a huge heart and I've never heard him speak poorly of anyone. I am still in a bit of shock, not believing that I will ever see him again.

Steve O. was a surprise too. I sent cigars to the troops while he was serving overseas and he got me joined into the Combat Cigar Lounge. Even so far as to sending me a tee shirt. Somewhere I have pictures of him and the troops enjoying some of the cigars I sent. The surprise gift I received from Steve when he returned home were a nice little cigar bomb. Stupid me not paying attention didn't realize that there were two dozen Cubans.

Regardless of what life throws at us, we have memories to help sustain us, to help cope, to help ease the pain.

So, it's Monday, and I love Mondays, even with a saddened heart.

Cusano 18 connie robust and coffee going here. If anybody has plans for a cigar herf tonight in remembrance of our passed loved ones and friends, I would be honored to smoke in the memory.

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:28:32 AM »

Morning Dean, it is certainly a sad day for all of us at the Cigar Banter. 

Funny thing how many of us become close friends without ever laying eyes on each other and such is the case with Chip for me but it is certainly high on my list to get over to meet him. 

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »

Funny thing how many of us become close friends without ever laying eyes on each other and such is the case with Chip for me but it is certainly high on my list to get over to meet him.

Good morning Dave. Yes, visiting Chip is on my bucket list. Has been since I moved to Florida. I have quite a few BOTL that I'd like to visit seeing how much closer to them I am living down here.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »

Good morning Dave. Yes, visiting Chip is on my bucket list. Has been since I moved to Florida. I have quite a few BOTL that I'd like to visit seeing how much closer to them I am living down here.
My brother lives only a couple of hours from Chip so I will get down there sometime before I move.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:58:44 AM »

Work calls guess I will get ready and head to town.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 06:14:58 AM »

Work calls guess I will get ready and head to town.
I am relaxing until I get to Home Depot to return 'parts' for the drainage system. PITA making multiple trips for being too impatient and not getting the right stuff, TWICE.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:55:05 AM »

cigar #2, Leonino robusto and still more coffee.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 07:08:06 AM »

Fuk'n sucks.
+1

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 07:12:05 AM »

Mondays suck...and this one especially. Heavy heart.
Heading to Denver through Chicago today, be well all.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:16:01 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for having been there for me this past year.  I know I haven't posted in awhile because of first my mom and then my wife, but I wanted to let you guys know that when things were bad I knew I could come here to get away from what was going on and was comforted. I also got hit with Steve's death this afternoon, Steve was also a very good friend and he and my wife's timeline this last two months were so similar in that they both started having problems at the same time, they both went home and back to the hospital at the same time and they both died at the same time.
I wil always be greatful for the friendships I gained on here and I know I will still be coming back here this next week to try and help me cope with the loss of my wife and my best friend.  The last 2 months have been very hard and it may be months before I can begin to cope with this. 
Please keep my family and I and my wife's twin in your prayers.
Please everyone hug your wife or girlfriend today and tell them you love them, don't take it for granted they will be here tomorrow and lose your chance. 
Thank you guys. 
Chip
I'll do it for you, Chip. But I won't be happy about it. 😃

Seriously though, please let us know if we can help in any way besides to being a distraction.

And again, I'm deeply sorry for your loss.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18