Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

  • Administrator
7/14/2015
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:42 AM »

It's Tuesday again!  In between insults we'll occasionally discuss cigars.  Join in and perhaps learn something along the way.  Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either...  And welcome aboard

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »

Hi Tony, I wrote a response a couple hours ago and before I could post it, I accidentally hit one wrong key and it disappeared ... couldn't recover it ... anyways ... I had my rear brake pads and rotors replaced 1-2 months ago and when the guy told me it would be $450, I gasped ... I was expecting more in the neighborhood of what you paid ... $250 or so.  To make it worse, he failed to recognize a problem with the right rear caliper and it ended up wearing out the pad and ruining the new rotor ... after hearing these terrible scraping sounds, I called him ... and he said he was in his boat on the Chesapeake Bay for the weekend, but that I shouldn't drive the vehicle for fear of worse damage.   Aaaarrrgh ... so I went to a nearby mechanic that I had used before, and he was able to take me right away and check it out ... needed 2 new calipers and a new rotor and pads on that wheel ... $770 new dollars!
Ouch.  I'm sorry to hear all that.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 02:14:14 AM »

Lost power to part of Oxford.  About 1pm, the line happened to shorted out snapping into .  It fell down into the middle of the of our street sparking and smoking.  Got an area of Old Mile Square out including areas uptown to included multiple stop lights.  Some businesses closed as well.  Naturally our personal wi-fi is out and finally occurred to me the warden's iPad is on a data plan.  Only use it when we're traveling.  Sheesh! on me.   Flashlights, candles, and chem sticks.  We shall see what the daybreak brings.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:27 AM »

Good morning guys.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »

Today is Tuesday, July 14, the 195th day of 2015. There are 170 days left in the year.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:37:21 AM »

Highlight in History

On July 14, 1865, the Matterhorn, straddling Italy and Switzerland, was summited as a seven-member rope party led by British climber Edward Whymper reached the peak. (Four members of the party fell to their deaths during their descent; Whymper and two guides survived.)
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 02:37:47 AM »

In 1789, in an event symbolizing the start of the French Revolution, citizens of Paris stormed the Bastille prison and released the seven prisoners inside.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:38:50 AM »

In 1881, outlaw William H. Bonney Jr., alias "Billy the Kid," was shot and killed by Sheriff Pat Garrett in Fort Sumner in present-day New Mexico.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »

In 1913, Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr., the 38th president of the United States, was born Leslie Lynch King Jr. in Omaha, Nebraska.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:17 AM »

In 1921, Italian-born anarchists Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were convicted in Dedham, Massachusetts, of murdering a shoe company paymaster and his guard. (Sacco and Vanzetti were executed six years later.)

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »

1933, all German political parties, except the Nazi Party, were outlawed. Cartoon character Popeye the Sailor made his movie debut in the Fleischer Studios animated short, "Popeye the Sailor."
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »

1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a measure providing funds for a national monument honoring scientist George Washington Carver; the monument was built at Carver's birthplace near Diamond, Missouri.

Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:42:02 AM »

In 1958, the army of Iraq overthrew the monarchy.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:42:28 AM »

In 1965, the American space probe Mariner 4 flew by Mars, sending back photographs of the red planet. United Nations Ambassador Adlai E. Stevenson II died in London at age 65.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 7/14/2015
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:43:55 AM »

In 1966, eight student nurses were murdered by Richard Speck in a Chicago dormitory.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9