CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 11/14/2022  (Read 1432 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 11/14/2022
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2022, 12:02:03 PM »

Did we ever discover Raz' first guess for when the Wordle was VALET? I can only imagine it was salet and what the heck does that even mean?
A salet is a Medieval helmet with a brim flaring in the back. The word is a cousin to the word "sally," as in "to sally forth." Both words are derived from a French root that means "to jut out."

It's a word I use fairly often as a first guess. I've had pretty good luck with it. Especially lately.

I can picture the helmet but had never heard the word. Always learning something new here on the banter.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2022, 12:10:24 PM »

Did we ever discover Raz' first guess for when the Wordle was VALET? I can only imagine it was salet and what the heck does that even mean?
A salet is a Medieval helmet with a brim flaring in the back. The word is a cousin to the word "sally," as in "to sally forth." Both words are derived from a French root that means "to jut out."

It's a word I use fairly often as a first guess. I've had pretty good luck with it. Especially lately.
Pretty good starting word. 2 vowels and 3 consonants, at least 2 of which are fairly common.
Yeah, and I've been studying letter distributions in five-letter words in English.  There's some pretty trippy stuff out there on the subject, but also a lot of bullshit, so data analyst beware. 

Nevertheless, as Golfin' Dave and I proved yesterday, it's one thing to know something about the distributions and another to apply the discipline. The key letter yesterday was N, which has the fifth-highest distribution across all positions.  But both he and I kept trying words that didn't have it. My first guess yesterday gave me A and E in yellow. The letter A spikes in the 3rd position and E spikes in the 5th position. So my second guess got both A and E in green, but gave me no more.  At that point I should have gone to using N, given the letters I'd used incorrectly.  And I should have put it in the 4th position, because it spikes there. But...I just kept guessing other words until I finally pulled my head out of my ass on the fifth guess.  Dave was doing the same thing. If I'd pulled my head out on the third guess, I'd have had it on the third guess if I was lucky or the fourth guess if I wasn't because there are only like five words that end in ANE, only two of them are remotely common, and one of those two was the answer yesterday.

it's like playing Texas Hold 'Em.  It's really a simple game to make money on, if you know your percentages, don't try to get cute, and fold on the deal a LOT.  But you can't make a lot of money that way, and the others at the table are trying to take yours away, and the blinds whittle some away from you, so the temptation to get cute is really strong and takes an iron will to resist.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2022, 01:29:59 PM »

Pretty good starting word. 2 vowels and 3 consonants, at least 2 of which are fairly common.
Yeah, and I've been studying letter distributions in five-letter words in English.  There's some pretty trippy stuff out there on the subject, but also a lot of bullshit, so data analyst beware. 

Nevertheless, as Golfin' Dave and I proved yesterday, it's one thing to know something about the distributions and another to apply the discipline. The key letter yesterday was N, which has the fifth-highest distribution across all positions.  But both he and I kept trying words that didn't have it. My first guess yesterday gave me A and E in yellow. The letter A spikes in the 3rd position and E spikes in the 5th position. So my second guess got both A and E in green, but gave me no more.  At that point I should have gone to using N, given the letters I'd used incorrectly.  And I should have put it in the 4th position, because it spikes there. But...I just kept guessing other words until I finally pulled my head out of my ass on the fifth guess.  Dave was doing the same thing. If I'd pulled my head out on the third guess, I'd have had it on the third guess if I was lucky or the fourth guess if I wasn't because there are only like five words that end in ANE, only two of them are remotely common, and one of those two was the answer yesterday.

it's like playing Texas Hold 'Em.  It's really a simple game to make money on, if you know your percentages, don't try to get cute, and fold on the deal a LOT.  But you can't make a lot of money that way, and the others at the table are trying to take yours away, and the blinds whittle some away from you, so the temptation to get cute is really strong and takes an iron will to resist.
Interesting breakdown. Almost makes me want to to change my starting word, though, I know it hasn't been used as a word yet, so I'll wait until it comes up and I get it in one guess. Lol

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2022, 03:28:28 PM »

Interesting breakdown. Almost makes me want to to change my starting word, though, I know it hasn't been used as a word yet, so I'll wait until it comes up and I get it in one guess. Lol
That's the spirit!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »

Damn. It's barely 4:30 and pretty dark out there. I think it might be time to commute home. Still have tons to do and will not likely be motivated to do it from home but don't really feel like doing it from the office either.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2022, 05:39:18 PM »

Damn. It's barely 4:30 and pretty dark out there. I think it might be time to commute home. Still have tons to do and will not likely be motivated to do it from home but don't really feel like doing it from the office either.
This whole time of year is bullshit. Can't stand it getting dark this early.

Had to take the oldest to get her wires put back on after her cleaning last week. Now out getting dinner for me and the Mrs. Feel like I've done a crap ton of driving today.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2022, 05:52:48 PM »

Had to take the oldest to get her wires put back on after her cleaning last week. Now out getting dinner for me and the Mrs. Feel like I've done a crap ton of driving today.
New tires on?

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »

New tires on?
They are, but they closed at 5, so I couldn't get there to pick it up. Have to go in the morning.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »

New tires on?
They are, but they closed at 5, so I couldn't get there to pick it up. Have to go in the morning.
Ahhh. I thought you were putting all the mileage on the new tires. I was mistaken.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2022, 06:44:29 PM »

New tires on?
Ahhh. I thought you were putting all the mileage on the new tires. I was mistaken.
Nope, on my old girl. Just felt like lot of driving overall.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2022, 06:45:00 PM »

New tires on?
Nope, on my old girl. Just felt like lot of driving overall.
Plus, the ortho and dinner trips were during rush hour, which didn't help.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2022, 06:47:17 PM »

The good part was when we got home, our Hamilton tickets were waiting in the mail. That one is in December, but since they said they'd be mailed out after 10/8, I was starting to wonder if I should call.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »

The good part was when we got home, our Hamilton tickets were waiting in the mail. That one is in December, but since they said they'd be mailed out after 10/8, I was starting to wonder if I should call.
Is that in Ohio or part of your NYC trip?

Edit: Upon re-reading, it is unlikely you meant NYC. Are the 5 of you going?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2022, 06:55:46 PM »

Today is Monday, Nov. 14, the 318th day of 2022. There are 47 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

On Nov. 14, 1970, a chartered Southern Airways DC-9 crashed while trying to land in West Virginia, killing all 75 people on board, including the Marshall University football team and its coaching staff.

On this date:

In 1851, Herman Melville’s novel “Moby-Dick; Or, The Whale” was published in the United States, almost a month after being released in Britain.

In 1910, Eugene B. Ely became the first aviator to take off from a ship as his Curtiss pusher rolled off a sloping platform on the deck of the scout cruiser USS Birmingham off Hampton Roads, Virginia.

In 1915, African-American educator Booker T. Washington, 59, died in Tuskegee, Alabama.

In 1940, during World War II, German planes destroyed most of the English town of Coventry.

In 1965, the U.S. Army’s first major military operation of the Vietnam War began with the start of the five-day Battle of Ia Drang. (The fighting between American troops and North Vietnamese forces ended on Nov. 18 with both sides claiming victory.)

In 1969, Apollo 12 blasted off for the moon.

In 1972, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above the 1,000 level for the first time, ending the day at 1,003.16.

In 1973, Britain’s Princess Anne married Captain Mark Phillips in Westminster Abbey. (They divorced in 1992, and Anne remarried.)

In 1996, singer Michael Jackson married his plastic surgeon’s nurse, Debbie Rowe, in a ceremony in Sydney, Australia. (Rowe filed for divorce in 1999.)

In 1997, a jury in Fairfax, Virginia, decided that Pakistani national Aimal Khan Kasi (eye-MAHL’ kahn KAH’-see) should get the death penalty for gunning down two CIA employees outside agency headquarters. (Five years later on this date, Aimal Khan Kasi was executed.)

In 2013, former Boston crime boss James “Whitey” Bulger was led off to prison to begin serving a life sentence at 84 for his murderous reign in the 1970s and ’80s. (Bulger was killed Oct. 30, 2018, hours after arriving at a federal prison in West Virginia.)

In 2020, Donald Trump supporters unwilling to accept Democrat Joe Biden’s election victory gathered in cities across the country including Washington, D.C., where thousands rallied; after night fell in the nation’s capital, demonstrators favoring Trump clashed in the streets with counterprotesters, resulting in injuries to demonstrators and police officers and charges against nearly two dozen people.

In 1922, BBC in London broadcast for the very first time.

bluecollar

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Click the globe below to see my top rated cigars.
    • Click my web link to see my list of top rated cigars...
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2022, 07:07:25 PM »

Anybody smoking' ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5