CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 55

Author Topic: 6/11/2014  (Read 123009 times)

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #540 on: June 11, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?
I believe that is correct.  I have a Xi2 and it's ok but seems very plasticky.

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.
Why should that matter?  The U.S. is made in China also.  Xikar is just cutting the middleman.  :D

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...

Sure as Phuck not made in China either.

You say 'fuck' now!  But I get your point.  Xikar used to brag about being an American company.  Guess they've removed that part from their site...

They still are an American company in Kansas City just have things made in China and wherever else and shipped to Kansas City for distribution.  Pretty common practice these days due to $ but really a $100 cigar cutter should be enough to warrant American production.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #541 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

Fuck it.  I need a power nap.  Back in half an hour.

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #542 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.

Afternoon, Dave.  Great warranty for sure.  I've send lighters back because the flame wasn't as strong as it used to be.  Poor quality butane?  Maybe I dropped it and something inside broke?  Who knows.  Got a new one back within a week or two, no questions asked.
My cutter came back in all new packaging like it was BNIB, wish there was a way to tell if they refinished it just replaced it.

They told me they replace them 99% of the time.  I actually thought they would just sharpen and polish up the old one.  Exotic wood is a rip there is not $2 worth of wood in the whole deal.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #543 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »

Afternoon, Dave.  Great warranty for sure.  I've send lighters back because the flame wasn't as strong as it used to be.  Poor quality butane?  Maybe I dropped it and something inside broke?  Who knows.  Got a new one back within a week or two, no questions asked.
My cutter came back in all new packaging like it was BNIB, wish there was a way to tell if they refinished it just replaced it.

They told me they replace them 99% of the time.  I actually thought they would just sharpen and polish up the old one.  Exotic wood is a rip there is not $2 worth of wood in the whole deal.
Yeah I was thinking that too...mine needed a sharpening and re-gluing on the sides.  They make some pretty crazy ones($500 now!), just out of this guys price range. 

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #544 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

They still are an American company in Kansas City just have things made in China and wherever else and shipped to Kansas City for distribution.  Pretty common practice these days due to $ but really a $100 cigar cutter should be enough to warrant American production.

What I meant was that they used to brag about their stuff being 'made in America', sorry.  Agree with your point and also about the added expense for the wood being kinda silly.  No denying they look cool, though. Practical?  Perhaps not.  But you're allowed frivolous luxuries on occasion.

KC

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where? 

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Why, I'd be delighted to put my needs last again!
« Reply #546 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #547 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?
He meant to say 'merica

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.
Ohh the mayans are suppppper sexy! Good afternoon CB!

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »

Made in northern hemisphere?

Baby Face Finster

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Sorry about that!
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »

Dammit I was gonna go visit! Where are they now fer cryin' out loud? Good catch KC ;D

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

Sheesh, you know what I meant!!  United States of America.  North of Mexico, south of Canada.  Pacific Ocean on the left, Atlantic Ocean on the right.

Baby Face Finster

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Sorry about that!
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

Howdy CB! Good to see ya!

cigarbreath

• Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

Ohh the mayans are suppppper sexy! Good afternoon CB!
Hey //Afternoon cg87.  Have to ask KC about Hondurans. No personal experience there.

Baby Face Finster

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Sorry about that!
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »

Sheesh, you know what I meant!!  United States of America.  North of Mexico, south of Canada.  Pacific Ocean on the left, Atlantic Ocean on the right.
More fun to be a stickler! Besides, I don't even know what I mean most of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 55