« Reply #540 on: June 11, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?
I believe that is correct.  I have a Xi2 and it's ok but seems very plasticky.

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.
Why should that matter?  The U.S. is made in China also.  Xikar is just cutting the middleman.  :D

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...

Sure as Phuck not made in China either.

You say 'fuck' now!  But I get your point.  Xikar used to brag about being an American company.  Guess they've removed that part from their site...

They still are an American company in Kansas City just have things made in China and wherever else and shipped to Kansas City for distribution.  Pretty common practice these days due to $ but really a $100 cigar cutter should be enough to warrant American production.

« Reply #541 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

Fuck it.  I need a power nap.  Back in half an hour.

« Reply #542 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?
I believe that is correct.  I have a Xi2 and it's ok but seems very plasticky.

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.

Afternoon, Dave.  Great warranty for sure.  I've send lighters back because the flame wasn't as strong as it used to be.  Poor quality butane?  Maybe I dropped it and something inside broke?  Who knows.  Got a new one back within a week or two, no questions asked.
My cutter came back in all new packaging like it was BNIB, wish there was a way to tell if they refinished it just replaced it.

They told me they replace them 99% of the time.  I actually thought they would just sharpen and polish up the old one.  Exotic wood is a rip there is not $2 worth of wood in the whole deal.

« Reply #543 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »

[...]

Yeah I was thinking that too...mine needed a sharpening and re-gluing on the sides.  They make some pretty crazy ones($500 now!), just out of this guys price range.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #544 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

They still are an American company in Kansas City just have things made in China and wherever else and shipped to Kansas City for distribution.  Pretty common practice these days due to $ but really a $100 cigar cutter should be enough to warrant American production.

What I meant was that they used to brag about their stuff being 'made in America', sorry.  Agree with your point and also about the added expense for the wood being kinda silly.  No denying they look cool, though. Practical?  Perhaps not.  But you're allowed frivolous luxuries on occasion.
Logged

KC

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?

« Reply #546 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.

« Reply #547 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?
He meant to say 'merica

« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.
Ohh the mayans are suppppper sexy! Good afternoon CB!

« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?
Made in northern hemisphere?
Logged

Baby Face Finster

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
  • Sorry about that!
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?
Dammit I was gonna go visit! Where are they now fer cryin' out loud? Good catch KC ;D
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?

Sheesh, you know what I meant!!  United States of America.  North of Mexico, south of Canada.  Pacific Ocean on the left, Atlantic Ocean on the right.
Logged

Baby Face Finster

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
  • Sorry about that!
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.
Howdy CB! Good to see ya!

« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

Like my Xikar cutters and punches.  Currently using a Mayan collection xi3 and the new 11mm punch.  Mikey likely and good afternoon everyone.
Ohh the mayans are suppppper sexy! Good afternoon CB!
Hey //Afternoon cg87.  Have to ask KC about Hondurans. No personal experience there.
Logged

Baby Face Finster

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
  • Sorry about that!
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...-----jwacky-----Honduras and Nicaragua are no longer in Central America?  When did they move them?  And to where?

Sheesh, you know what I meant!!  United States of America.  North of Mexico, south of Canada.  Pacific Ocean on the left, Atlantic Ocean on the right.
More fun to be a stickler! Besides, I don't even know what I mean most of the time.