CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55

Author Topic: 6/11/2014  (Read 123038 times)

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?
I believe that is correct.  I have a Xi2 and it's ok but seems very plasticky.

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.
Why should that matter?  The U.S. is made in China also.  Xikar is just cutting the middleman.  :D

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?

I had a Rosewood Xi3 my wife gave me for about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer, and it was dulling so sent it back as they do have a great warranty - even covers getting dull.  They quickly replaced it at no charge.  Now the downside is the one I had was Made in U.S.A. but  the new replacement is clearly stamped Made in China.  I am not at all happy about that even though they will still warranty it for life.  Works ok though and feels the same just says the wrong thing if that matters to you.
That's a good point...maybe that's when they made the switch! 

Good afternoon!

They don't even make the Rosewood anymore. 

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »

Why should that matter?  The U.S. is made in China also.  Xikar is just cutting the middleman.  :D
Hey-o!

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »

Not so fast there, Two Stars.  These things consist of moving parts.  Seems I remember discussion that the Xi2 wasn't well aligned or didn't stay that way or something.  Joe, what say ye about that?  And by Joe I mean everybody else too.

Couldn't tell ya, Bret, sory.  All I know is what they say on their site - blade specs are the same across the line.  The handles/outer materials differ.  But it seems reasonable to believe there are other quality differences than JUST what the handles are made from.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »

The cigars you're cutting with the the Xikar aren't made in America...

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »

I was made in the U.S.A. So like to buy things that match when I can. Besides if everybody did that there would be no Walmart and America can't live without Walmart cause everybody else went out of business because of Walmart.  Crazy Phucking world.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »

Afternoon, Dave.  Great warranty for sure.  I've send lighters back because the flame wasn't as strong as it used to be.  Poor quality butane?  Maybe I dropped it and something inside broke?  Who knows.  Got a new one back within a week or two, no questions asked.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »

Sure as Phuck not made in China either.

Baby Face Finster

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Sorry about that!
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

Not so fast there, Two Stars.  These things consist of moving parts.  Seems I remember discussion that the Xi2 wasn't well aligned or didn't stay that way or something.  Joe, what say ye about that?  And by Joe I mean everybody else too.

Couldn't tell ya, Bret, sory.  All I know is what they say on their site - blade specs are the same across the line.  The handles/outer materials differ.  But it seems reasonable to believe there are other quality differences than JUST what the handles are made from.
Used to be the Xi3 had thicker blades than the other 2. Same steel though.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

I only smoke Marlboro maduros 6x60. :P

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »

I was made in the U.S.A. So like to buy things that match when I can. Besides if everybody did that there would be no Walmart and America can't live without Walmart cause everybody else went out of business because of Walmart.  Crazy Phucking world.
This minimum raise hike is only going to make that(buying USA made goods at a competitive price) worse, damn DC idiots. 
I want to support anything USA crafted, but only to a point where the economist in me kicks in.  If you can't compete competitively, find something else to compete competitively in...that's the real benefit of the USA, do whatever the hell you want without restrictions.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

You can say 'fuck' now!  But I get your point.  Xikar used to brag about being an American company.  Guess they've removed that part from their site...

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

Afternoon, Dave.  Great warranty for sure.  I've send lighters back because the flame wasn't as strong as it used to be.  Poor quality butane?  Maybe I dropped it and something inside broke?  Who knows.  Got a new one back within a week or two, no questions asked.
My cutter came back in all new packaging like it was BNIB, wish there was a way to tell if they refinished it just replaced it.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #538 on: June 11, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

But major parts of Boeing and Airbus jets are, as are many parts of your vehicles.  But I agree with your sentiment.  When I can get things that are US made and they are things I want to last, I buy them.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #539 on: June 11, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »

My cutter came back in all new packaging like it was BNIB, wish there was a way to tell if they refinished it just replaced it.
Probably more expensive for them to pay somebody to do that work than it is to just send out a new one.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55