CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55

Author Topic: 6/11/2014  (Read 123022 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #495 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »

Heading out for a bit.  Later five stars!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #496 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.
I got the Beachwood for low 30s on CBid...fyi
I want Bocote to match the scales on a knife I built and the grips I'm making for my 1943 Colt M1911.  But yeah, probably will get something cheaper.  Maybe in black to match the Harley.
Ohh, gotcha...yeah then I would wait it out.  I'll GFM now :)
I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #497 on: June 11, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »

(no comment) :(

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #498 on: June 11, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.
The only time I ever used one (Xikar) was at the cigar shop at our last herf but it was really nice. Just wondered if anyone tried the Colibri at a shop or ran across one somewhere
I've used a Colibri, but it's the only V-cutter I've used to date so I can't compare it to any others except to say...yeah, it cut the cap off the cigar.  V-cutters seem less awkward to use than other types, so that's why I want one.
Very happy with mine after using JWacky's for a few months.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #499 on: June 11, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »

I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.
The only time I ever used one (Xikar) was at the cigar shop at our last herf but it was really nice. Just wondered if anyone tried the Colibri at a shop or ran across one somewhere
I've used a Colibri, but it's the only V-cutter I've used to date so I can't compare it to any others except to say...yeah, it cut the cap off the cigar.  V-cutters seem less awkward to use than other types, so that's why I want one.
Colibri?  or Xikar?

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #500 on: June 11, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »

I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.
I want Bocote to match the scales on a knife I built and the grips I'm making for my 1943 Colt M1911.  But yeah, probably will get something cheaper.  Maybe in black to match the Harley.
I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?
Here is my Xicar description: the Xi1 and Xi3 use the same steel, the Xi3 has a nicer sides(wood, etc), the Xi2 has a cheaper steel compared to the 1 and 3. 
I am all about Xicar, no hassle lifetime warranty...just send it in and you get a new or refurb'd one back. 

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #501 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Later, Dave

KC

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?-----raz-----Xi1 is the mid-grade, Xi3 is the top-grade, and Xi2 is the el cheapo. 

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #503 on: June 11, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »

Here is my Xicar description: the Xi1 and Xi3 use the same steel, the Xi3 has a nicer sides(wood, etc), the Xi2 has a cheaper steel compared to the 1 and 3. 
I am all about Xicar, no hassle lifetime warranty...just send it in and you get a new or refurb'd one back.
Okay, you've enabled me.  I think I'll pick up an Xi1 to hold me until I find an Xi3 Bocote at the right price.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

Later, Dave
Lose 1 and gain 1...Dave swap!

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

I'm trying to remember what the general consensus about the Xikars was among this crowd.  Seems like it was, we like the Xi1 and Xi3, but not so much the Xi2.  Do I have that right?-----raz-----Xi1 is the mid-grade, Xi3 is the top-grade, and Xi2 is the el cheapo.
I thought that's what I remembered.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #506 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »

I miss you, Dave.

CigarGuy87

• Non-Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • The tundra is thawing
« Reply #507 on: June 11, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

Okay, you've enabled me.  I think I'll pick up an Xi1 to hold me until I find an Xi3 Bocote at the right price.
Good plan!  You could always get sneaky and get an Xi3, use it and then send it in for warranty with a letter to see if they will swap it with a Bocote...

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #508 on: June 11, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »

Later, Dave
Lose 1 and gain 1...Dave swap!
Trying to maintain balance....

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #509 on: June 11, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »

I thought that's what I remembered.

The blades themselves are the same on all three. Says so right in the descriptions on Xikars site. Xi1 is steel. Xi2 is plastic. Xi3, bunch of different exotic options. I have the xi1.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55