« Reply #480 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »

Mark - speaking of 'new' distilleries, I finally got around to trying something from Balcones the other day, the Baby Blue.  Pretty good!  I definitely want to try their True Blue cask strength.
I'm a fan of the Brimstone.  Eveything in their line is on the pricey side, though.

High expenses, I guess.  I was wondering if it was something that's cheaper there than everywhere else... forget the price tag on the Baby Blue. $50ish?  Give or take $5.  Brimstone was definitely more expensive.  $60 is a LOT for American whiskey.  It's a lot for any whiskey, but you can many great bourbons/ryes for less than $30.  Heck, less than $20 in a lot of cases.

Give us you TOP 5 bourbons for under $20... GO!

Evan Williams White label (100 proof, Bottled in Bond)... Old Fitzgerald (100 proof, Bottled in Bond)... Very Old Barton (100 proof, BiB)... Wild Turkey 101... Four Roses (Yellow Label).  Do not confuse any of these with their lower proof 'relatives'.  WT101 far superior to WT 81, EWW far superior to the cheaper black label, etc.

Honorable mentions:

Heaven Hill BiB
Old Grand Dad BiB
Larceny
Damn, now I need to make a run to the liquor store..
The first three I listed are under $15.
So far I can't locate any of the first three in Washington.  Still looking, though.

Yeah, some may be available only in certain regions.  EWW was only released nationally early this year, give it time.  The rest I can get at BevMo or order online.  You should definitely be able to get the WT101, Larceny, and Four Roses there, though.

Of course, with your crazy taxes on booze up there you won't walk outta the store with ANY booze for under $20.
That's the fucking truth.  WT101 is $21.99 at BevMo.  Add the taxes and surcharges, it's $29.33.

That's still cheaper than a run to California, even on the Harley.

That's crazy!!!!!  Think WT101 is $18.99 at BevMo right now.  Out the door $20.65.  Smaller liquor stores and even grocery stores often carry it for a dollar or so less.
I am on a big beer kick right now, hate ND for it's beer importing restrictions...ugh.  Too many bottles lying around not being consumed of hard liquor
A beer kick you say?
Was into the hard liquor for a while, then beer heavily in the winter, now getting back into the hard stuff...just too many options and enablers around me!
Sounding like three star material there!
Doin everything I can to move up, hopefully the committee approves a 3star rating soon!

« Reply #481 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I really enjoyed the Heisenbergs.  Only ever smoked the pyramid shaped one.  Might have a 5er left, I'll have to dig it out.
I think you actually gave me one of those Tony
That is very possible.  On the beer front, I had a couple of Milk Stout Nitro last night: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/    Very nice.
I've seen and noticed those several times, didn't know anything about them but looked interesting
I just read that a typical nitrogenated beer contains about 70 percent nitrogen and 30 percent carbon dioxide. This gas mixtures gives a beer a creamier mouthfeel.  It's true that this beer had the texture of a thin milk shake.
It's pretty cool to try a 'regular' beer and it's 'on nitro' version side by side.  Alesmith does that with their coffee stouts a lot.  Ballast Point does it with Sculpin.
Sculpin...winner! Amazin beer
+1 that beer is outstanding
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #482 on: June 11, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.

« Reply #483 on: June 11, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.

« Reply #484 on: June 11, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.

« Reply #485 on: June 11, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.
I have one of the Monte V-Cutters, just doesn't seem to cut smooth...everything non-torp gets punched(007 or 009 Xicar) and torps get the Xi3 DblG

« Reply #486 on: June 11, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.
I got the Beachwood for low 30s on CBid...fyi

« Reply #487 on: June 11, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.
The only time I ever used one (Xikar) was at the cigar shop at our last herf but it was really nice. Just wondered if anyone tried the Colibri at a shop or ran across one somewhere
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #488 on: June 11, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »

Speaking of beer... gonna make that trip to Alpine Beer Co.  Back in a bit.

« Reply #489 on: June 11, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »

Speaking of beer... gonna make that trip to Alpine Beer Co.  Back in a bit.
GFY!

« Reply #490 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.
I got the Beachwood for low 30s on CBid...fyi
I want Bocote to match the scales on a knife I built and the grips I'm making for my 1943 Colt M1911.  But yeah, probably will get something cheaper.  Maybe in black to match the Harley.

« Reply #491 on: June 11, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I have the Xikar, have no reason to want to try a different V cutter.  Need to send it in for sharpening, still.  Keep forgetting.
I have designs on a Xikar XI3 with Bocote handles, but it's either too expensive, or if I find a decent price it's backordered.  Dammit.
I got the Beachwood for low 30s on CBid...fyi
I want Bocote to match the scales on a knife I built and the grips I'm making for my 1943 Colt M1911.  But yeah, probably will get something cheaper.  Maybe in black to match the Harley.
Ohh, gotcha...yeah then I would wait it out.  I'll GFM now :)

« Reply #492 on: June 11, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar
I've only ever tried two.  One was a cheapie plastic piece of shit and the other was the Xikar.  I love the Xikar and use it almost exclusively.  Although lately many of my cigars have been getting that tar buildup at the end and I'm wondering if it's because of the cut.  The last one like that was the Opus XxX and I wound up cutting it again with a guillotine.
The only time I ever used one (Xikar) was at the cigar shop at our last herf but it was really nice. Just wondered if anyone tried the Colibri at a shop or ran across one somewhere
I've used a Colibri, but it's the only V-cutter I've used to date so I can't compare it to any others except to say...yeah, it cut the cap off the cigar.  V-cutters seem less awkward to use than other types, so that's why I want one.

« Reply #493 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »

23 Romeo y Julieta Vintage toro
           10/39.99
22 Obsidian tins half corona (churchill??) (3.5 x 46)
            2 tins of 5 each
21 Diesel leather two finger case
            1/14.99
20 Oliva Saison torpedo
          10/34.99
19 Acid Kuba Kuba robusto
           5/24.50
18 Torano Noventa robusto
          10/24.50
17 Don Pepin Garcia Blue toro
           5/22.50
16 Gurkha Masterbater Select  robusto 67% savings
          10/27.50
15 L'Atelier Surrogates Tramp Stamp
           5/27.50
14 Devils Brew III Sampler toro
           8/25.00
13 Camacho Liberty perfecto
           1/14.99
12 Oliva Serie G Maduro torpedo
          10/32.50
11 Diesel Hair of the Dog toro
          10/34.99
10 Sam Leccia Luchador toro
          5/27.50
 9 Drew Estates Cafe Con Leche belicoso
          10/39.50
 8 Sam Leccia Black robusto
          5/24.50
 7 Torano Exodus Silver Double Perfecto
         10/39.99
 6 Don Pepin Garcia Legado de Pepin Toro
          5/19.99
 5 CAO Italia Novella
         10/34.99
 4 Montecristo Churchill Extra
          5/32.50
 3 Man O' War Robusto
         10.34.99
 2 E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes
         10/29.99
 1 Diamond Crown Julius Caeser
          3/32.75

« Reply #494 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »

[...]
Agreed, nice to have the built in stop, in a sense.  Anytime I use a DblG I set the cutter on a table and put the cigar in the middle and pinch the sides together, i don't 'free-hand' it per say...