« Reply #465 on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »

Mark - speaking of 'new' distilleries, I finally got around to trying something from Balcones the other day, the Baby Blue.  Pretty good!  I definitely want to try their True Blue cask strength.
I'm a fan of the Brimstone.  Eveything in their line is on the pricey side, though.

High expenses, I guess.  I was wondering if it was something that's cheaper there than everywhere else... forget the price tag on the Baby Blue. $50ish?  Give or take $5.  Brimstone was definitely more expensive.  $60 is a LOT for American whiskey.  It's a lot for any whiskey, but you can many great bourbons/ryes for less than $30.  Heck, less than $20 in a lot of cases.

Give us you TOP 5 bourbons for under $20... GO!

Evan Williams White label (100 proof, Bottled in Bond)... Old Fitzgerald (100 proof, Bottled in Bond)... Very Old Barton (100 proof, BiB)... Wild Turkey 101... Four Roses (Yellow Label).  Do not confuse any of these with their lower proof 'relatives'.  WT101 far superior to WT 81, EWW far superior to the cheaper black label, etc.

Honorable mentions:

Heaven Hill BiB
Old Grand Dad BiB
Larceny
Damn, now I need to make a run to the liquor store..
The first three I listed are under $15.
So far I can't locate any of the first three in Washington.  Still looking, though.

Yeah, some may be available only in certain regions.  EWW was only released nationally early this year, give it time.  The rest I can get at BevMo or order online.  You should definitely be able to get the WT101, Larceny, and Four Roses there, though.

Of course, with your crazy taxes on booze up there you won't walk outta the store with ANY booze for under $20.
That's the fucking truth.  WT101 is $21.99 at BevMo.  Add the taxes and surcharges, it's $29.33.

That's still cheaper than a run to California, even on the Harley.

That's crazy!!!!!  Think WT101 is $18.99 at BevMo right now.  Out the door $20.65.  Smaller liquor stores and even grocery stores often carry it for a dollar or so less.
I am on a big beer kick right now, hate ND for it's beer importing restrictions...ugh.  Too many bottles lying around not being consumed of hard liquor
A beer kick you say?
Logged

Baby Face Finster

  • Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • *
  • Sorry about that!
Re: 6/11/2014
« Reply #466 on: June 11, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »

Got some work to do...I'll be back for some more of your awesome wit in a bit!  ;)
I like that.  I may have to go register, WitInABit.com.  I'll have it up and running by 2020.
I'm gonna cybersquat all over that.  Remember when that was a 'thing'?
Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I don't think that was me.  But if was, glad you're enjoying it!  I kinda like them.  Not enough to buy when I'm done with however many I have left, but they're good.
Well schitt, maybe it wasn't...thought it came with the barrage of coronas(not beer) you sent me.  Ohh well, good stick either way...not a need more, but a good stick when smoked!
So much uncertainty. weird!

« Reply #467 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »

Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I really enjoyed the Heisenbergs.  Only ever smoked the pyramid shaped one.  Might have a 5er left, I'll have to dig it out.
I think you actually gave me one of those Tony
That is very possible.  On the beer front, I had a couple of Milk Stout Nitro last night: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/    Very nice.

« Reply #468 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »

[...]

Was into the hard liquor for a while, then beer heavily in the winter, now getting back into the hard stuff...just too many options and enablers around me!

« Reply #469 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »

Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I really enjoyed the Heisenbergs.  Only ever smoked the pyramid shaped one.  Might have a 5er left, I'll have to dig it out.
I think you actually gave me one of those Tony
That is very possible.  On the beer front, I had a couple of Milk Stout Nitro last night: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/    Very nice.

Good and interesting beer, still have 1 or 2 left from the 6er I got a few months back...big fan of Nitro beers

« Reply #470 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

A beer kick you say?
Don't kick beer.  That's alcohol abuse.

« Reply #471 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I really enjoyed the Heisenbergs.  Only ever smoked the pyramid shaped one.  Might have a 5er left, I'll have to dig it out.
I think you actually gave me one of those Tony
That is very possible.  On the beer front, I had a couple of Milk Stout Nitro last night: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/    Very nice.
I've seen and noticed those several times, didn't know anything about them but looked interesting

« Reply #472 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »

Still is...greedy fuggers!
Joe, smoked that Heisenberg you sent me last night, good stick.  Not sure on the price point, but enjoyed the flavors.  Had it after a RyJ EL(non-cuban), that sucked, bland, muted, might as well been a Gurk(no offense Flip), but i'm glad that one's out of my humidor!
I really enjoyed the Heisenbergs.  Only ever smoked the pyramid shaped one.  Might have a 5er left, I'll have to dig it out.
I think you actually gave me one of those Tony
That is very possible.  On the beer front, I had a couple of Milk Stout Nitro last night: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/    Very nice.
I've seen and noticed those several times, didn't know anything about them but looked interesting
I just read that a typical nitrogenated beer contains about 70 percent nitrogen and 30 percent carbon dioxide. This gas mixtures gives a beer a creamier mouthfeel.  It's true that this beer had the texture of a thin milk shake.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #473 on: June 11, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

Was into the hard liquor for a while, then beer heavily in the winter, now getting back into the hard stuff...just too many options and enablers around me!

Same here.  Go back and forth.  Usually stick to whiskey during the week, beer on weekends.  No real reason, just don't feel like drinking beer ALL the time.  I'm heading out to the Alpine Beer Co brewery either today or tomorrow to get some fresh IPAs for the weekend.  They have their Duet (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/27604/) Pure Hoppiness (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/7597/) available in bottles at the moment.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #474 on: June 11, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »

[...]
It's pretty cool to try a 'regular' beer and it's 'on nitro' version side by side.  Alesmith does that with their coffee stouts a lot.  Ballast Point does it with Sculpin.

« Reply #475 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

Was into the hard liquor for a while, then beer heavily in the winter, now getting back into the hard stuff...just too many options and enablers around me!

Same here.  Go back and forth.  Usually stick to whiskey during the week, beer on weekends.  No real reason, just don't feel like drinking beer ALL the time.  I'm heading out to the Alpine Beer Co brewery either today or tomorrow to get some fresh IPAs for the weekend.  They have their Duet (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/27604/) Pure Hoppiness (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/7597/) available in bottles at the moment.
Awesome! Agreed tho, first world problems with all these important decisions to make!

« Reply #476 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

[...]
Sculpin...winner! Amazin beer

« Reply #477 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »

[...]

Sounding like three star material there!

« Reply #478 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »

Has anybody tried the new Colibri V cutter? Looks a bit chunky but has a spring loaded action. I want to get one but leaning towards the Xikar

« Reply #479 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »

It's pretty cool to try a 'regular' beer and it's 'on nitro' version side by side.  Alesmith does that with their coffee stouts a lot.  Ballast Point does it with Sculpin.
Never relized the nitro was a thing.  Charlie handed me one once and I really liked it.  Don't remember if it was the same kind.  I'll have to try the side-by-side some time.