CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: 6/9/2014  (Read 123603 times)

KC

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Re: 6/9/2014
« Reply #525 on: June 09, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »

Manure: ...  An interesting fact Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!  Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening  After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.  Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.  You probably did not know the true history of this word.  Neither did I.  I had always thought it was a golf term...-----Sly-----Evening Sly!  Sorry, but that story is a crock of, well, shit.  The word comes from the old Low German word "schite", meaning dung, back in the 14th century.  That acronym story started circulating on the internet in 2002. 

TRO

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #526 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »

having a MF La Antiguedad tonight, anyone try these yet?
No, but let me know if it is good, Bobby-Freddy!
FredBob, what's your take on the MF La Antiguedad?

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #527 on: June 09, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »

Sorry KC, but Sly's story was more interesting.

TRO

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #528 on: June 09, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »

It's all good shit, so to speak.

Johnny

« Reply #529 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:13 PM »

Bob, who is that in your avi?

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #530 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

having a MF La Antiguedad tonight, anyone try these yet?
No, but let me know if it is good, Bobby-Freddy!
FredBob, what's your take on the MF La Antiguedad?
It's ok a best. I like the FdLA more betterer. I have a couple more I'll let rest,  but can't say I'd buy them again.  Oy's fault!

glassken

« Reply #531 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »

Yikes!!! How about 3 pages at C.I. and 2 of them are Chip's morning announcements!!!!! Stick a fork in her...she is done!!
Hi Jeff.  2 nice OT wins for the Kings.  I hope they close it out in NY.

Sheesh.  Anti NY bias everywhere.
NY is great. Of course, I have never been there. It may be shitty as all hell!

it is shitty, I've been there.
Manure: ...  An interesting fact Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!  Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening  After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.  Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.  You probably did not know the true history of this word.  Neither did I.  I had always thought it was a golf term...
Nice story, but not correct. Use snopes
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp

Fred Bumpus

« Reply #532 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »

Some bitch holding a coffee mug in front of her tits.

Regency

• Founding Member
  • Junior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

Evening Knuckle Draggers!  No smoking in Montana as the wind is blowing about 30.

Johnny

« Reply #534 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »

Ok,thought her mouth looked familiar.

glassken

« Reply #535 on: June 09, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »

Evening Knuckle Draggers!  No smoking in Montana as the wind is blowing about 30.
Howdy, Montana Man!

TRO

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
« Reply #536 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

Blocking the view.

Johnny

« Reply #539 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »

Be back later.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39