SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

Let's talk cigars!  What deals have you found on the various Internet sites today?
Time to smoke this Lancero I picked up from a sampler, operation smoke down continues.

Hey, Chip. Only had the Std. Reserve, not the Habana... and that was a pretty mild smoke, but decent flavor.

Give us the verdict.
Mild for sure, I really like the ISOKW's much better.
Apples and oranges, as you know, not even the same company.  Can you imagine the legal battles there'd be if the embargo were ever lifted?!
"When" is the key word!
It'll be a shit show, that's for sure.  Morning/afternoon, Ken!
I think it will be very interesting, actually! Hope it does not put too many cigar companies out of biz, but market economy and all. Morning, Joe! (afternoon here)
I mean, would you lose any sleep if, say, Altadis struggled because of it?  They're knowingly "imitating" brands that were made famous because of their Cuban heritage.  But I'd bet they have just as much money if not more than Altadis to fight it.  So who'd win?  I'd follow that battle, for sure.  The good news is that this sort of thing wouldn't just happen overnight so you'd have plenty of opportunity to stock your humidors for the end times.
Cuba has been losing all the legal battles during the embargo.  I haven't looked at all the legal foundations of that, so I don't know if that might change when the embargo lifts.  Shit storm is right though.
Is there any precedent for such a thing?  I mean... they both own the name, right?  Would it come down to who had it first?  Altadis did, here.  Would Cuba be considered a 'new' country as if it were Day 1 of their existence?  Or would their copyrights and whatnot be retroactive? And does Altadis even sell their Montecristo anywhere else in the world?  Or only here in America, since the Cuban brand isn't even recognized because of the embargo?

And can we turn it in to a reality show for easy viewing/understanding?
  Among the reasons Cuba has lost its lawsuits is that its entire cigar industry is built on assets that were seized from private owners.  Judges in countries under the rule of law have a real problem with plaintiffs who want to invoke the rule of law outside their borders while historically and actively dismissing the rule of law within their borders.
Raz-hopper, you have spoken well and shown great wisdom, knowledge and understanding into the subject, reasoning according to the facts rather than resorting to pure emotion.  Well done, son.

« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »

[...]

Indeed, nice to have an 'adult' discussion without resorting to throwing poo at each other.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »

Among the reasons Cuba has lost its lawsuits is that its entire cigar industry is built on assets that were seized from private owners.  Judges in countries under the rule of law have a real problem with plaintiffs who want to invoke the rule of law outside their borders while historically and actively dismissing the rule of law within their borders.

I suppose I can understand that.  "Hey, Altadis is stealing our name!"  Hey, fucker, you stole it, too.  Zip it.  Case dismissed.
Which, as I'm looking at what I can find on the case law, is pretty much it.  That, and the legal doctrine that says "No one in the US is going to think a cigar for sale in the US with the name 'Cohiba' is from Cuba, because everyone knows Cuban cigars can't be sold in the US.

This, of course, sounds utterly ridiculous, but has a sort of perverse logic.
No, we legally buy Cohiba cigars, from the Dominican Republic.  Have you seen the new Bacardi commercial, how they left Cuba, when the state took over the rum distilleries, and went elsewhere to make their families rum
Alberto, who is that beautiful woman with you in the photo ... your lovely wife?
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
Ha!  Yeah, that scarred me from trying anything within a day or two of receiving it.  Remembered real quick why I usually wait AT LEAST two weeks.  More often than not it becomes a month before trying my first from a 'new' purchase.  Even the Tat Blacks have been MUCH better after trying the first within two or three days of receiving it and it hasn't been THAT long a period of time.
For sure, and ESPECIALLY in the summer months when heat is high and in most places, so is ambient humidity.  There's no way that little water pillow is maintaining a 67% rh (or whatever it might be) as it travels in a truck through the midwest in the dead of summer when it's 100˚ and 95% humidity.  Those cigars are gonna need a little nap.
Take that and when they get here it's 5% humidity.....what the fuckover?
That makes my skin hurt just thinking about it.  Exploding cigars! Woohoo!  Gotta smoke under a mister just to keep things normal for the cigar.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
The Tattoo sucking, or Cuba?
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #276 on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »

[...]

I would welcome those kind of discussions, forbidden on the CI banter, especially on politics and religion, if it could be done respectfully.  I would like to hear what various BOTLs from different areas of the country and backgrounds have to say on a variety of topics.  Different perspectives, rather than someone throwing out a volatile comment or insult, then immediately saying, "Oh, we won't discuss politics or religion," shutting down discussion after getting his lick in but before anyone else can chime in and offer a differing or assenting opinion.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #277 on: June 05, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

[...]

Guess some people never learned what to do (or not do) if you have nothing nice to say...

« Reply #278 on: June 05, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »

[...]

Not that Nadine isn't as equally lovely, but that ain't her.   ;D

« Reply #279 on: June 05, 2014, 03:55:26 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
The Tattoo sucking, or Cuba?
Communism, Cuba versus China, lack of manufacturing in the U.S, blah blah blah.  I wasn't really listening because I was busy throwing poo.

« Reply #280 on: June 05, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
You didn't like the Tattoo?  Haven't tried one of mine yet.
\\\\\Bitter, harsh, bad burn. Hoping rest will do them some good.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.
Yowzah.  Okay, I'll be quiet around the humidor so they don't get awakened prematurely.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #281 on: June 05, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
The Tattoo sucking, or Cuba?
Sorry for my manners, good afternoon gentleman.
Joe, I took your comment on face value, wondering if this is some new euphemism - tatoo sucking.
I had to read back to get the context.
Aha.
Just stopped by a local sandwich/pizza place which carries an exotic variety of bottled beer and has a small bar with a similar rotating variety of drafts ... and guess what, today they have Southern Tier Choklat Stout, as well as some other great brews.  My head was spinning from 3 samples, thought I'd better come home and eat lunch before going back.  Only bad thing, no smoking on the  chained off patio area.  Sheesh.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
The Tattoo sucking, or Cuba?
Communism, Cuba versus China, lack of manufacturing in the U.S, blah blah blah.  I wasn't really listening because I was busy throwing poo.
Someone's gotta be that guy.  It's what they keep you around for.
Logged

SLY

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »

It's as if you were all at my lunch table today.  I swear we were talking about the exact same things.
The Tattoo sucking, or Cuba?
Communism, Cuba versus China, lack of manufacturing in the U.S, blah blah blah.  I wasn't really listening because I was busy throwing poo.
Did you make sure to wash your hands before touching it?

« Reply #284 on: June 05, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

[...]
If you're in Dusty's part of the country, sitting under a mister is the best place to smoke a cigar this time of year.  Preferably someplace where a provocatively dressed woman brings you drinks.