« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:56 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »

Seems like youse guys are talking about stuff.

So, uh...indeed.
Hello, Will. Cigars?

Pretty much.  Thinking I'll give the Cuchillo Cubanos 40 another shot, see if a few days even out the burn issues.  Think they'll need a little longer, though, so maybe I should grab a QyH Londres Extra.
   Smoke both.  Afternoon, Will.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »

Seems like youse guys are talking about stuff.

So, uh...indeed.
Hello, Will. Cigars?

Pretty much.  Thinking I'll give the Cuchillo Cubanos 40 another shot, see if a few days even out the burn issues.  Think they'll need a little longer, though, so maybe I should grab a QyH Londres Extra.
   Smoke both.  Afternoon, Will.

Simultaneous draw?  Akimbo?

« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »

Let's talk cigars!  What deals have you found on the various Internet sites today?
Time to smoke this Lancero I picked up from a sampler, operation smoke down continues.

Hey, Chip. Only had the Std. Reserve, not the Habana... and that was a pretty mild smoke, but decent flavor.

Give us the verdict.
Mild for sure, I really like the ISOKW's much better.
Apples and oranges, as you know, not even the same company.  Can you imagine the legal battles there'd be if the embargo were ever lifted?!
"When" is the key word!
It'll be a shit show, that's for sure.  Morning/afternoon, Ken!
I think it will be very interesting, actually! Hope it does not put too many cigar companies out of biz, but market economy and all. Morning, Joe! (afternoon here)
I mean, would you lose any sleep if, say, Altadis struggled because of it?  They're knowingly "imitating" brands that were made famous because of their Cuban heritage.  But I'd bet they have just as much money if not more than Altadis to fight it.  So who'd win?  I'd follow that battle, for sure.  The good news is that this sort of thing wouldn't just happen overnight so you'd have plenty of opportunity to stock your humidors for the end times.
No offense to people who like the cigars that have Cuban names, but I wish everyone of them would get sued, and go out of business! Minus, maybe San Cristobal's, and a couple other. Altadis, and General used famous Cuban cigar trademarks, and made them with non-cuban leaf, and knew they could get away with it, because no one will side with communist Cuba. I wish they would get sued, and have to pay Cuba for the license to use the name. Only if the money went to the people--to buy toilet paper for instance! ;)
-- They were sued, and Cuba lost.  Now, on the other hand, shouldn't the government of Cuba get sued for stealing brand names, factories, and property both intellectual and real that the Cuban communists stole from their owners in the early 60's?  Theft is theft, isn't it?

So, it's a little stickier than just Altadis.
That's the spoils of war. as bad as that sounds--it's politics.
You want to tell the Jewish families whose assets were stolen by the Nazis that it's just the spoils of war?

I have no political axe to grind here, but the issues fascinate me. In theory you could say that the comparison is unfair, because the communist revolution overthrew the despotic dictator the way the Russians helped overthrow Hitler.  But it was still depriving citizens of property without due process.  And since there's no way anyone could remotely press a property claim in Cuba, why should the Cuban government get the benefit of American constitutional guarantees? Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I too wish the embargo would end.  It's pointless anymore.  Either invade the country or shut the fuck up.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »

Seems like youse guys are talking about stuff.

So, uh...indeed.
Hello, Will. Cigars?

Pretty much.  Thinking I'll give the Cuchillo Cubanos 40 another shot, see if a few days even out the burn issues.  Think they'll need a little longer, though, so maybe I should grab a QyH Londres Extra.
   Smoke both.  Afternoon, Will.

Simultaneous draw?  Akimbo?
BYOC - Bring your own culebra.

« Reply #261 on: June 05, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
You didn't like the Tattoo?  Haven't tried one of mine yet.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
Ha!  Yeah, that scarred me from trying anything within a day or two of receiving it.  Remembered real quick why I usually wait AT LEAST two weeks.  More often than not it becomes a month before trying my first from a 'new' purchase.  Even the Tat Blacks have been MUCH better after trying the first within two or three days of receiving it and it hasn't been THAT long a period of time.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
Ha!  Yeah, that scarred me from trying anything within a day or two of receiving it.  Remembered real quick why I usually wait AT LEAST two weeks.  More often than not it becomes a month before trying my first from a 'new' purchase.  Even the Tat Blacks have been MUCH better after trying the first within two or three days of receiving it and it hasn't been THAT long a period of time.

Indeed.  Even with significantly aged stock,the shipping temp/RH shock can make it a bit rough around the edges or hork up the burn.  Not necessarily a huge issue, especially with cheaper cigars, but you ideally there are no issues (and especially with more expensive cigars).

« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »

[...]

That's the spoils of war. as bad as that sounds--it's politics. Anyway, I really wish the embargo would end--and not because of cigars, but it would tremendously help the people living there. Would I feel guilty for having a Cuban cigar? NO! We buy communist made products at wall mart everyday!
---- Agreed, Ken.  Can't be hypocritical about what I feel about stuff like that... criticize them while smoking their cigars while sitting on a Chinese made patio chair.  Just the cards we're dealt in life, I guess.  The irony is that people HATE any price increase that'd be associated with keeping stuff American made!
You can thank labor unions for that, took away America's ability to compete and keep manufacturing here
  Actually I blame CEO compensation tied to profit.  Hey If I can make an extra 2 million by moving a factory to where labor is cheap, so what if it cost jobs here in the US.  Can you buy a TV made here in the US?  nope not since Curtis Mathis closed.  yet RCA, Sylvania, GE, Zenith all used to make TV's here in the US, before they moved production.  Heck the US used to manufacture cigars too!
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
Ha!  Yeah, that scarred me from trying anything within a day or two of receiving it.  Remembered real quick why I usually wait AT LEAST two weeks.  More often than not it becomes a month before trying my first from a 'new' purchase.  Even the Tat Blacks have been MUCH better after trying the first within two or three days of receiving it and it hasn't been THAT long a period of time.
For sure, and ESPECIALLY in the summer months when heat is high and in most places, so is ambient humidity.  There's no way that little water pillow is maintaining a 67% rh (or whatever it might be) as it travels in a truck through the midwest in the dead of summer when it's 100˚ and 95% humidity.  Those cigars are gonna need a little nap.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
You didn't like the Tattoo?  Haven't tried one of mine yet.
\\\\\Bitter, harsh, bad burn. Hoping rest will do them some good.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
You didn't like the Tattoo?  Haven't tried one of mine yet.
\\\\\Bitter, harsh, bad burn. Hoping rest will do them some good.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »

[...]
Take that and when they get here it's 5% humidity.....what the fuckover?
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

Has anyone smoked the Lucador yet?
\\\\Nope. Almost grabbed one from the 5er I have but still a little gun-shy after the Tattoo experience.
You didn't like the Tattoo?  Haven't tried one of mine yet.
\\\\\Bitter, harsh, bad burn. Hoping rest will do them some good.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.
;D