ImNotBlackImMaduro

  • Founding Member
  • Newbie Status
  • My horn can pierce the sky!
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

Old 601 red cigarillo.  Glad I picked these up back in the day.  Just have s shit ton of them.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »

Let's talk cigars!  What deals have you found on the various Internet sites today?
Time to smoke this Lancero I picked up from a sampler, operation smoke down continues.

Hey, Chip. Only had the Std. Reserve, not the Habana... and that was a pretty mild smoke, but decent flavor.

Give us the verdict.
Mild for sure, I really like the ISOKW's much better.
Apples and oranges, as you know, not even the same company.  Can you imagine the legal battles there'd be if the embargo were ever lifted?!
"When" is the key word!
It'll be a shit show, that's for sure.  Morning/afternoon, Ken!
I think it will be very interesting, actually! Hope it does not put too many cigar companies out of biz, but market economy and all. Morning, Joe! (afternoon here)
I mean, would you lose any sleep if, say, Altadis struggled because of it?  They're knowingly "imitating" brands that were made famous because of their Cuban heritage.  But I'd bet they have just as much money if not more than Altadis to fight it.  So who'd win?  I'd follow that battle, for sure.  The good news is that this sort of thing wouldn't just happen overnight so you'd have plenty of opportunity to stock your humidors for the end times.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »

Good for you then. You are never too old to go back. My dad went back for his masters when he was @ 50. He had some doubts in doing it because of his age. He was talking with a close friend about it, and he said " I'm already 50, I'll be 54 by the time I get this finished going part time". He friend answered, "How old will you be in 4 years if you DON'T do it?"

That simplicity sealed it for him and he started the next month.
Love the rationale.  I've been talking about it since I received my bachelors.  This topic has come up twice more, separate from the banter, over the last week.  I honestly don't know how I would find the time but I may have to look into it again.
There's always time somewhere in your schedule. I'm finding that I'll be having to give up a lot of cigar/whiskey time but whatever, it's not forever and the schooling is far more important to me.  Cigars will still be there tomorrow.
Logged

ImNotBlackImMaduro

  • Founding Member
  • Newbie Status
  • My horn can pierce the sky!
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

[...]

if altadis went belly up, I would probably care. I think it would make me happy.

« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »

[...]

I know.  One of my co-workers just finished up his Executive MBA.  Always wondered why he wasn't stepping up and doing as much night/weekend work as the rest of us.  Our old dick of a manager declined his application of tuition reimbursement so he kept the whole thing on the QT.  Can't really blame him.
Logged

LSUFAN

  • Geaux Tigers!
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »

15 Alec Bradley Flight Sampler No. 2
                 10/34.99
14 El Centurion Robusto
                  5/27.50
13 Varina Farms Breakfast Blend Toro
                 10/29.99
12 601 Serie Green Habano Oscuro
                 10/37.50
11 Perdomo ESV 2002 Natural Epicure Toro
                 5/27.50
10 Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve Churchill
                10/34.99
 9 La Gloria Cubana Serie R Black No.58 Gordo
                 5/22.50
 8 Sons of Anarchy by Black Crown Toro
                10/37.50
 7 Tatuaje El Triunfador No.2 Belicoso
                5/27.50
 6 CAO Brazilia Gol
               10/38.99
 5 Padilla 1932 Torpedo
                5/24.50
 4 Gurkha Symphony Grand Rothschild
               10/32.50
 3 AVO Domaine Robusto Toro
                5/29.50
 2 Oliva Master Blends III Robusto
               10/39.99
 1 Flor de LasAntillas
                5/27.50
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »

[...]

That sucks.  Had to google "QT" but I'm doing the same thing.  There's no position for what I'd do with the degree here so it'd be very clear that I was looking to leave for something else. I'd actually really enjoy going 'part time' and collecting money specifically for a given job I'd turn in so I could have more time during the day for school, but whatever.  If ya wanna keep paying me salary for doing very, very little these days, I'll keep cashing the checks.  Unfortunately that means all the 'time' for school comes out of smoking/drinking/sleeping time.  O'well.

« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »

[...]

Cuba has been losing all the legal battles during the embargo.  I haven't looked at all the legal foundations of that, so I don't know if that might change when the embargo lifts.  Shit storm is right though.
Logged

glassken

« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

[...]

No offense to people who like the cigars that have Cuban names, but I wish everyone of them would get sued, and go out of business! Minus, maybe San Cristobal's, and a couple other. Altadis, and General used famous Cuban cigar trademarks, and made them with non-cuban leaf, and knew they could get away with it, because no one will side with communist Cuba. I wish they would get sued, and have to pay Cuba for the license to use the name. Only if the money went to the people--to buy toilet paper for instance! ;)

« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »

That sucks.  Had to google "QT" but I'm doing the same thing.  There's no position for what I'd do with the degree here so it'd be very clear that I was looking to leave for something else. I'd actually really enjoy going 'part time' and collecting money specifically for a given job I'd turn in so I could have more time during the day for school, but whatever.  If ya wanna keep paying me salary for doing very, very little these days, I'll keep cashing the checks.  Unfortunately that means all the 'time' for school comes out of smoking/drinking/sleeping time.  O'well.
Hmmm, wonder if QT is a regional thing.  I didn't think so though.

« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

Thanks for working on your day off, Chip.  I'm enjoying the new recap format.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »

[...]

Is there any precedent for such a thing?  I mean... they both own the name, right?  Would it come down to who had it first?  Altadis did, here.  Would Cuba be considered a 'new' country as if it were Day 1 of their existence?  Or would their copyrights and whatnot be retroactive? And does Altadis even sell their Montecristo anywhere else in the world?  Or only here in America, since the Cuban brand isn't even recognized because of the embargo?

And can we turn it in to a reality show for easy viewing/understanding?
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

That sucks.  Had to google "QT" but I'm doing the same thing.  There's no position for what I'd do with the degree here so it'd be very clear that I was looking to leave for something else. I'd actually really enjoy going 'part time' and collecting money specifically for a given job I'd turn in so I could have more time during the day for school, but whatever.  If ya wanna keep paying me salary for doing very, very little these days, I'll keep cashing the checks.  Unfortunately that means all the 'time' for school comes out of smoking/drinking/sleeping time.  O'well.
Hmmm, wonder if QT is a regional thing.  I didn't think so though.
I figured that's what it meant because of the context but the way I would've written it was doing it on the DL.

« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

That sucks.  Had to google "QT" but I'm doing the same thing.  There's no position for what I'd do with the degree here so it'd be very clear that I was looking to leave for something else. I'd actually really enjoy going 'part time' and collecting money specifically for a given job I'd turn in so I could have more time during the day for school, but whatever.  If ya wanna keep paying me salary for doing very, very little these days, I'll keep cashing the checks.  Unfortunately that means all the 'time' for school comes out of smoking/drinking/sleeping time.  O'well.
Hmmm, wonder if QT is a regional thing.  I didn't think so though.
I figured that's what it meant because of the context but the way I would've written it was doing it on the DL.
Noted.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/5/2014
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »

That sucks.  Had to google "QT" but I'm doing the same thing.  There's no position for what I'd do with the degree here so it'd be very clear that I was looking to leave for something else. I'd actually really enjoy going 'part time' and collecting money specifically for a given job I'd turn in so I could have more time during the day for school, but whatever.  If ya wanna keep paying me salary for doing very, very little these days, I'll keep cashing the checks.  Unfortunately that means all the 'time' for school comes out of smoking/drinking/sleeping time.  O'well.
Hmmm, wonder if QT is a regional thing.  I didn't think so though.
\\\\Naw.....just not used too much any more.