CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: 6/2/2014  (Read 69774 times)

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »

I think everyone in favor of having only a single thread with no option for anything else is wrong. 

The daily banter thread would continue to be the primary mode of interaction between users.  The definition of a general mayhem forum.  Given the userbase it works very well.  But genmay forums have an absolute downside:  they're terrible as organizing information outside of that specific time. 

Example:  let's say we do another 777 Paka type herf and 10 of us smoke a cigar.  Everyone has thoughts, some even take pictures.  We all discuss the cigar on the July 13th daily banter thread.  By July 20th, no one knows where that information is and it far less likely to be brought up by a google search, etc. 

Now that discussion etc would still take place on a daily banter thread, because that's how this crowd rolls.  That's fine.

But exactly where is it an issue to have a dedicated reviews subforum where the full fledged reviews and photos of that would-be paka herf can be posted?  Want to go back and see pictures and read someone else's thoughts on a cigar?  Read the review they posted.  Not only is it easier than digging through a long, winding, daily thread to get bits and pieces of information, but it also allows that review and topic to be addressed and updated as needed (ie, for consistency or how aging how affected the cigar, or changes in factory, etc.) 

I'm not saying we should have a German sex toy sub and an interpretive dance sub and all that shit. 

But there is no reason to ignore the use and benefit of subforums as a whole.  And even if that's what you want to do, there is no reason to want everyone else to ignore them, too.   

I guess, ultimately, I don't care how it ends up.  It's "just" a cigar forum.  Got enough other shit to worry about before I get to whether or not I think there should be sub-forums here on my list.  Just let Tony do whatever the fuck he wants to do.  It's his site.

I am no expert, barely even know what I am doing on a computer but isn't there a difference in Banters and Forums being that Forums have sub forums, topics and different areas, etc like Puff or others run rampent with assholes and moderator assholes where as Banters are more of a BS'ing string of posts like CI and here with this one being a Deluxe Banter where we can be dumbasses and give each other the business while having fun?  If I am somewhat correct then this is a Banter and some are looking for a Forum.  And by all means ultimately I don't care much either how it winds up just so I can B.S. about Cigars, beer, liquor, coffee and the wardens with the friendly folks I have met on the CI Banter.
Agreed! (I'm agreeable today)

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?
Guests can do a search but they have to provide some information first, to avoid spambots from searching, etc.  Lurkers have rights too, ya know?

Yep, just curious is all.  Still, I'm somewhat careful of what I say in "public" forums.  Ya never know...

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?
If it helps, I logged out (auto) and couldn't do shit till I logged back in.

I believe I answered my own question.  I logged out but could still read through everything.
This further illustrates my feeling of being 'lost' when I first signed in. I think I got the hang of it now.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »

This place has that new banter smell. Tony, can you smoke in here too?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »

I am no expert, barely even know what I am doing on a computer but isn't there a difference in Banters and Forums being that Forums have sub forums, topics and different areas, etc like Puff or others run rampent with assholes and moderator assholes where as Banters are more of a BS'ing string of posts like CI and here with this one being a Deluxe Banter where we can be dumbasses and give each other the business while having fun?  If I am somewhat correct then this is a Banter and some are looking for a Forum.  And by all means ultimately I don't care much either how it winds up just so I can B.S. about Cigars, beer, liquor, coffee and the wardens with the friendly folks I have met on the CI Banter.

They are actually the same.  I had to bastardize the hell out of this thing to make it do this.  By default it runs rampant.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

There's technologically no difference.  The Banter on CI is just Forum software that has most of its features turned off or restricted. Philosophically, it's up to Tony (and us to whatever extent he allows) how this one is run.  Generally there seems to be a consensus that we don't want this to turn into a full-blown forum with sub-forums and sub-sub-forums.  Just needs a banter and maybe a couple of sub-forums for reviews and deals.  Maybe someplace to put pictures from meetups, herfs or CF.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »

Guests can do a search but they have to provide some information first, to avoid spambots from searching, etc.  Lurkers have rights too, ya know?

Yep, just curious is all.  Still, I'm somewhat careful of what I say in "public" forums.  Ya never know...
The NSA been stalking you again, Joe?

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »

The NSA been stalking you again, Joe?

Joe who?  I don't know what you're talking about, man...

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #278 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »

This place has that new banter smell. Tony, can you smoke in here too?
Of course, please feel free to do so.  So I posted that I drank that beer given to me by my colleague.  Wasn't it you asking?

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #279 on: June 02, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »

Understood but again, no different than from where we came.

Johnny

« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

Evening Guys, Tony you need to Email KC the pertinent info for getting here, you know he hates change!

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »

Evening Guys, Tony you need to Email KC the pertinent info for getting here, you know he hates change!
I hate change myself.  Good evening, Johnny.  I'll give him a call a little later.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

There's technologically no difference.  The Banter on CI is just Forum software that has most of its features turned off or restricted. Philosophically, it's up to Tony (and us to whatever extent he allows) how this one is run.  Generally there seems to be a consensus that we don't want this to turn into a full-blown forum with sub-forums and sub-sub-forums.  Just needs a banter and maybe a couple of sub-forums for reviews and deals.  Maybe someplace to put pictures from meetups, herfs or CF.

I enjoy the organic nature the single thread idea has, but can see some benefits to both. If you get too sub-sub, then you are going to have Cigarbanter/cigarreviews/aspecificcigar, so you basically end up having countless threads on specific cigars. Now, as great as that may sound, it could end up being hundreds of threads with a couple reviews and a few more 'agreed' and/or 'Indeeds'. As has been said before, it's Tony's site, so let him do to it what he wants. Go figure.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »

Understood but again, no different than from where we came.
Yep.  Again, curiosity was all that was.  Nothing is truly private, anyway.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Hey there, JR.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29