« Reply #255 on: June 02, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

I think everyone in favor of having only a single thread with no option for anything else is wrong.

The daily banter thread would continue to be the primary mode of interaction between users.  The definition of a general mayhem forum.  Given the userbase it works very well.  But genmay forums have an absolute downside:  they're terrible as organizing information outside of that specific time.

Example:  let's say we do another 777 Paka type herf and 10 of us smoke a cigar.  Everyone has thoughts, some even take pictures.  We all discuss the cigar on the July 13th daily banter thread.  By July 20th, no one knows where that information is and it far less likely to be brought up by a google search, etc.

Now that discussion etc would still take place on a daily banter thread, because that's how this crowd rolls.  That's fine.

But exactly where is it an issue to have a dedicated reviews subforum where the full fledged reviews and photos of that would-be paka herf can be posted?  Want to go back and see pictures and read someone else's thoughts on a cigar?  Read the review they posted.  Not only is it easier than digging through a long, winding, daily thread to get bits and pieces of information, but it also allows that review and topic to be addressed and updated as needed (ie, for consistency or how aging how affected the cigar, or changes in factory, etc.)

I'm not saying we should have a German sex toy sub and an interpretive dance sub and all that shit.

But there is no reason to ignore the use and benefit of subforums as a whole.  And even if that's what you want to do, there is no reason to want everyone else to ignore them, too.
Well, the searching capabilities of this forum should mitigate the organizational issues of a single comms channel.

But, if the sub-forums are topic-limited, then I can agree with you.  A Reviews forum, maybe an Enabling forum with just deals and promo codes.  I could go for that.

This kind of "bickering" makes me want to shut off the internet entirely.  Hate using that term because it's just people expressing opinions and that of course is a good thing, but no need for drama.  It's the main reason I was so willing to leave the banter in the first place.
This sounded like bickering or drama?

I had an opinion, stated it, and someone responded.  We didn't even call each other homos.  This is a red letter day for internet relations.
You homo.  That's it, I'm starting my own forum.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #256 on: June 02, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

[...]

Sheesh, "no offense".  I'd even stated in my response that I hated to use that word.  Guess what I ultimately wanted to say was that as long as this site remains as free as is possible on the internet from drama, I don't give a fuck out it's laid out!!

Pshht, whatever, homo.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »

[...]

I'm telling Tony on you.

« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »

I'll definitely look into it.  A couple of guys mentioned needing better smartphone support.
It would be nice.  Dealing with JoeCigar on a smartphone really sucked.  Tapatalk would be great, but even just a mobile template for this forum software would be a major improvement, IMHO.
I thought there was a mobile template but I think my hosting company discontinued it and now wants to charge me something extra for it.  I've been posting from my phone and agree that it sucks, especially if you're quoting a longer post.  It's on my list.

« Reply #259 on: June 02, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »

It occurs to me that we're at 18 pages today.  Eight over at CI.  Oy better get over here or face 18-withdrawal.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #260 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »

It occurs to me that we're at 18 pages today.  Eight over at CI.  Oy better get over here or face 18-withdrawal.

Pretty crazy, isn't it?  Afternoon, Mark.

« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »

I'll definitely look into it.  A couple of guys mentioned needing better smartphone support.
It would be nice.  Dealing with JoeCigar on a smartphone really sucked.  Tapatalk would be great, but even just a mobile template for this forum software would be a major improvement, IMHO.
I thought there was a mobile template but I think my hosting company discontinued it and now wants to charge me something extra for it.  I've been posting from my phone and agree that it sucks, especially if you're quoting a longer post.  It's on my list.
Hosting companies have started doing that kinda shit, but there are usually ways to get around it.  Is this PHPBB?

« Reply #262 on: June 02, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »

It occurs to me that we're at 18 pages today.  Eight over at CI.  Oy better get over here or face 18-withdrawal.

Pretty crazy, isn't it?  Afternoon, Mark.
Sssh.  Tony will get all arrogant and shit about how much influence he has.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #263 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?

« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

I'll definitely look into it.  A couple of guys mentioned needing better smartphone support.
It would be nice.  Dealing with JoeCigar on a smartphone really sucked.  Tapatalk would be great, but even just a mobile template for this forum software would be a major improvement, IMHO.
I thought there was a mobile template but I think my hosting company discontinued it and now wants to charge me something extra for it.  I've been posting from my phone and agree that it sucks, especially if you're quoting a longer post.  It's on my list.
Hosting companies have started doing that kinda shit, but there are usually ways to get around it.  Is this PHPBB?
Yes.  I take that back.  It isn't.  Uses PHP obviously.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

Let's go the opposite route - just one never ending topic.  You want to read my thoughts on a cigar I smoked last October?  No problem, just scroll back 13,000 pages.
There ya go!

« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »

[...]

I guess, ultimately, I don't care how it ends up.  It's "just" a cigar forum.  Got enough other shit to worry about before I get to whether or not I think there should be sub-forums here on my list.  Just let Tony do whatever the fuck he wants to do.  It's his site.

I am no expert, barely even know what I am doing on a computer but isn't there a difference in Banters and Forums being that Forums have sub forums, topics and different areas, etc like Puff or others run rampent with assholes and moderator assholes where as Banters are more of a BS'ing string of posts like CI and here with this one being a Deluxe Banter where we can be dumbasses and give each other the business while having fun?  If I am somewhat correct then this is a Banter and some are looking for a Forum.  And by all means ultimately I don't care much either how it winds up just so I can B.S. about Cigars, beer, liquor, coffee and the wardens with the friendly folks I have met on the CI Banter.
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?
If it helps, I logged out (auto) and couldn't do shit till I logged back in.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?
If it helps, I logged out (auto) and couldn't do shit till I logged back in.

I believe I answered my own question.  I logged out but could still read through everything.

« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

Is this forum 'private'?  Or can posts be searched and viewed by non-registered viewers?
Guests can do a search but they have to provide some information first, to avoid spambots from searching, etc.  Lurkers have rights too, ya know?