Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

Guess that would make me a Junior Willy, eh?

« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »

Oh shit (not schitt), I just graduated to a "Jr. Member".  Can't wait to be a big member.
::)
Actually, I'll sort of miss that banter patois...the secret language and such.

« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »

Tony - is there any way to sync this thing up the Tapatalk app?
Yes.  But I only say that because there is a way to do anything if you put enough resources into it.  Never heard of Tapatalk but I'll have to look into it.

« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »

Okay, now it's a race to post-whore ourselves out of Newbie status.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »

I think everyone in favor of having only a single thread with no option for anything else is wrong.

The daily banter thread would continue to be the primary mode of interaction between users.  The definition of a general mayhem forum.  Given the userbase it works very well.  But genmay forums have an absolute downside:  they're terrible as organizing information outside of that specific time.

Example:  let's say we do another 777 Paka type herf and 10 of us smoke a cigar.  Everyone has thoughts, some even take pictures.  We all discuss the cigar on the July 13th daily banter thread.  By July 20th, no one knows where that information is and it far less likely to be brought up by a google search, etc.

Now that discussion etc would still take place on a daily banter thread, because that's how this crowd rolls.  That's fine.

But exactly where is it an issue to have a dedicated reviews subforum where the full fledged reviews and photos of that would-be paka herf can be posted?  Want to go back and see pictures and read someone else's thoughts on a cigar?  Read the review they posted.  Not only is it easier than digging through a long, winding, daily thread to get bits and pieces of information, but it also allows that review and topic to be addressed and updated as needed (ie, for consistency or how aging how affected the cigar, or changes in factory, etc.)

I'm not saying we should have a German sex toy sub and an interpretive dance sub and all that shit.

But there is no reason to ignore the use and benefit of subforums as a whole.  And even if that's what you want to do, there is no reason to want everyone else to ignore them, too.

I guess, ultimately, I don't care how it ends up.  It's "just" a cigar forum.  Got enough other shit to worry about before I get to whether or not I think there should be sub-forums here on my list.  Just let Tony do whatever the fuck he wants to do.  It's his site.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »

Tony - is there any way to sync this thing up the Tapatalk app?
Yes.  But I only say that because there is a way to do anything if you put enough resources into it.  Never heard of Tapatalk but I'll have to look into it.

My google-fu says that http://tapatalk.com/ is a good place to start.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »

Tony - is there any way to sync this thing up the Tapatalk app?
Yes.  But I only say that because there is a way to do anything if you put enough resources into it.  Never heard of Tapatalk but I'll have to look into it.

Ha!  True enough.  It's an app that makes message boards easier to navigate on a phone.  I use it for StraightBourbon.com.  Makes it easy to upload pics from a phone, too.  Just a thought.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »

Let's go the opposite route - just one never ending topic.  You want to read my thoughts on a cigar I smoked last October?  No problem, just scroll back 13,000 pages.

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »

Tony - is there any way to sync this thing up the Tapatalk app?
Yes.  But I only say that because there is a way to do anything if you put enough resources into it.  Never heard of Tapatalk but I'll have to look into it.

Ha!  True enough.  It's an app that makes message boards easier to navigate on a phone.  I use it for StraightBourbon.com.  Makes it easy to upload pics from a phone, too.  Just a thought.

I'll definitely look into it.  A couple of guys mentioned needing better smartphone support.

« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2014, 03:56:06 PM »

[...]

Well, the searching capabilities of this forum should mitigate the organizational issues of a single comms channel.

But, if the sub-forums are topic-limited, then I can agree with you.  A Reviews forum, maybe an Enabling forum with just deals and promo codes.  I could go for that.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »

[...]

This kind of "bickering" makes me want to shut off the internet entirely.  Hate using that term because it's just people expressing opinions and that of course is a good thing, but no need for drama.  It's the main reason I was so willing to leave the banter in the first place.

« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

I'll definitely look into it.  A couple of guys mentioned needing better smartphone support.
It would be nice.  Dealing with JoeCigar on a smartphone really sucked.  Tapatalk would be great, but even just a mobile template for this forum software would be a major improvement, IMHO.

« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »

[...]

This sounded like bickering or drama?
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

[...]

I had an opinion, stated it, and someone responded.  We didn't even call each other homos.  This is a red letter day for internet relations.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »

[...]

Sheesh, "no offense".  I'd even stated in my response that I hated to use that word.  Guess what I ultimately wanted to say was that as long as this site remains as free as is possible on the internet from drama, I don't give a fuck out it's laid out!!