« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »

That's it for me for the day men, see you back here tomorrow at Hotel Tony
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: About CigarBanter.com...
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

I know we all bitch and moan about the joecigar/cigarsintl banter but apparently there is something about it that we all love.  I tried to keep this forum very simple, in much the same vein.  It's about creating a community.  Cigarsintl has roughly 4500 members but there have been about 900,000 posts to date.  Cigar.com on the otherhand has nearly 4 times as many members but only a quarter of the posts combined within its many threads.  Not everyone is interested in every post and that's fine... Don't read 'em.  That's not to say that I won't create or give you the ability to create sub forums.  I'm just not there yet.

  I don't think you should bother with sub-forums. What we like about the Banter is that it's a single channel of communication.  At any given time, someone may not care for the topic of conversation, but we like the people talking so we hang.  The problem with the world at large is that we have established so many options that no one ever has to listen to anyone say something they don't like.  You can change the channel, or you can go to a club that plays the music you like, or you can live your life in the blue light of a computer monitor and avoid real people.  But the inevitable result is boredom.  When you only listen to what's offered in the forum which you choose to inhabit, you inevitably get bored.  This group of people is one of two groups I bother with online.  The other is a bunch of guitar players that started out on an e-mail listserv talking about Mesa/Boogie amplifiers.  When that got stale it became a discussion of gear in general, and then we turned it into a Google group.  Like this group, it's a small group of mostly older guys with a lot of experience and expertise, who actually welcome new people even if we give them and each other a hard time.  And like this group - at least so far - each daily conversation is a single thread.  Personally, I think it should stay that way.  Ruthlessly simple, practical, and uncensored.
One happy customer!  I tend to agree.  As far as all the guitar stuff though... Zzzzzzzzz
LMFAO!
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

That's it for me for the day men, see you back here tomorrow at Hotel Tony
Later, Scott.

« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »

Oh shit (not schitt), I just graduated to a "Jr. Member".  Can't wait to be a big member.

« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »

That's it for me for the day men, see you back here tomorrow at Hotel Tony
Later!
Logged

DesertRat

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

Oh shit (not schitt), I just graduated to a "Jr. Member".  Can't wait to be a big member.
::)
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »

That's it for me for the day men, see you back here tomorrow at Hotel Tony

Later, Scott.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

I'm most amazed at how quickly everyone made the move over here...

« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »

That's it for me for the day men, see you back here tomorrow at Hotel Tony
Seeya, Scott.

« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »

I'm most amazed at how quickly everyone made the move over here...
At first I thought Tony had just thrown up the site just to give everyone the finger.  But then there were recaps, and a howdy-go-fuck-yourself from Joe.  So suddenly the thing had legs.

« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

First Competitors Deal Broadcast for the new site:   Of all the surprise places The Sister (Oh Yeah Cigars.com Daily Deal) has 601 Blues 10/$37.50 which is a pretty good deal these days.  They were on the Monster Mash (Famous Cigar Daily Deals) over the weekend 5/$29.95 which was not a deal even with all the recent price increases.

I hit the Spectre deal there.  Had one courtesy of NJDave at our most recent herf in New Braunfels and really enjoyed it.  Different, but in a good way.  YMMV, etc.

Funny I had the one NJDave gifted me there and tried it last week.  I agree it is interestingly different than any thing I have ever smoked.  Not bad for sure
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »

I think everyone in favor of having only a single thread with no option for anything else is wrong.

The daily banter thread would continue to be the primary mode of interaction between users.  The definition of a general mayhem forum.  Given the userbase it works very well.  But genmay forums have an absolute downside:  they're terrible as organizing information outside of that specific time.

Example:  let's say we do another 777 Paka type herf and 10 of us smoke a cigar.  Everyone has thoughts, some even take pictures.  We all discuss the cigar on the July 13th daily banter thread.  By July 20th, no one knows where that information is and it far less likely to be brought up by a google search, etc.

Now that discussion etc would still take place on a daily banter thread, because that's how this crowd rolls.  That's fine.

But exactly where is it an issue to have a dedicated reviews subforum where the full fledged reviews and photos of that would-be paka herf can be posted?  Want to go back and see pictures and read someone else's thoughts on a cigar?  Read the review they posted.  Not only is it easier than digging through a long, winding, daily thread to get bits and pieces of information, but it also allows that review and topic to be addressed and updated as needed (ie, for consistency or how aging how affected the cigar, or changes in factory, etc.)

I'm not saying we should have a German sex toy sub and an interpretive dance sub and all that shit.

But there is no reason to ignore the use and benefit of subforums as a whole.  And even if that's what you want to do, there is no reason to want everyone else to ignore them, too.
Logged

jswaykos

« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »

Tony - is there any way to sync this thing up the Tapatalk app?

« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »

@Joe:  I had the Young's Double Chocolate Stout over the weekend.  Thought it was good but not nearly as good as the Southern Tier.  It reminded me of something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until a minute ago... It tasted like a Yoohoo!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/73/
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

Oh shit (not schitt), I just graduated to a "Jr. Member".  Can't wait to be a big member.
::)

QFT.