CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: 6/2/2014  (Read 70087 times)

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
Re: 6/2/2014
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »

@DRDave:  I'm enjoying your "personal text".   ;D
Um, what?  :o
I got it, nevermind.....thought I was fuckin' up or something!
No more than usual.
Hi Dave
Haha! Thanks Tom!

sfish

« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »

What HAVE you girls been doing?
Hanging out with the cool kids.
Hi Scott
Hey there Tom

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
Re: About CigarBanter.com...
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »

I know we all bitch and moan about the joecigar/cigarsintl banter but apparently there is something about it that we all love.  I tried to keep this forum very simple, in much the same vein.  It's about creating a community.  Cigarsintl has roughly 4500 members but there have been about 900,000 posts to date.  Cigar.com on the otherhand has nearly 4 times as many members but only a quarter of the posts combined within its many threads.  Not everyone is interested in every post and that's fine... Don't read 'em.  That's not to say that I won't create or give you the ability to create sub forums.  I'm just not there yet.

I don't think you should bother with sub-forums. What we like about the Banter is that it's a single channel of communication.  At any given time, someone may not care for the topic of conversation, but we like the people talking so we hang.  The problem with the world at large is that we have established so many options that no one ever has to listen to anyone say something they don't like.  You can change the channel, or you can go to a club that plays the music you like, or you can live your life in the blue light of a computer monitor and avoid real people.  But the inevitable result is boredom.  When you only listen to what's offered in the forum which you choose to inhabit, you inevitably get bored.  This group of people is one of two groups I bother with online.  The other is a bunch of guitar players that started out on an e-mail listserv talking about Mesa/Boogie amplifiers.  When that got stale it became a discussion of gear in general, and then we turned it into a Google group.  Like this group, it's a small group of mostly older guys with a lot of experience and expertise, who actually welcome new people even if we give them and each other a hard time.  And like this group - at least so far - each daily conversation is a single thread.  Personally, I think it should stay that way.  Ruthlessly simple, practical, and uncensored.
\\\\Damn! I actually have to agree with you, Bret.  ;)

LSUFAN

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • Geaux Tigers!
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »

Time to hit the road for home guys, enjoy the jam.

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »

Thanks for the recaps, Chip. See ya.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

Sorry, I won't do it again.

Threebean

« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »

What they said.

sfish

« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »

I'm sorry to see you and your avi go Chip

DesertRat

• Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • {***}
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »

Yeah you gotta be careful with that....

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »

Let the post whores emerge on their own.
Speaking of post whoring ......
Oops, just fixed it.

BackyardSmoker

• Smoke is good
  • Founding Member
  • Distinguished Status
  • Back2Back
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »

I agree with all previous about just having a single, linear thread... no matter how off tangent it can get. imho, fwiw, idk, no offense. {***}

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »

What HAVE you girls been doing?
"Unfuckingbelievable" Exactly what I posted on FB last nite when I heard this site went live... :D
Yeah, he actually sandbagged us a little bit
You are personally responsible for this site existing.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »

I'm sorry to see you and your avi go Chip
Oh, aye, laddie. I was just thinking of going back to college.

jswaykos

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Proud to be a BOTL
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

Yeah you gotta be careful with that....

LOL, I also agree with what Bret said.  The reason regular forums get boring is because you only have to read about what you're truly interested in... and there's only so much 'new' stuff that can come up.  Random daily musings... ya never know.  But however it ends up, I'll post wherever everyone else is.  Here, CI's banter, whatever.  But I know how I am with these things and I'll only go with one daily cigar site. 

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »

I know we all bitch and moan about the joecigar/cigarsintl banter but apparently there is something about it that we all love.  I tried to keep this forum very simple, in much the same vein.  It's about creating a community.  Cigarsintl has roughly 4500 members but there have been about 900,000 posts to date.  Cigar.com on the otherhand has nearly 4 times as many members but only a quarter of the posts combined within its many threads.  Not everyone is interested in every post and that's fine... Don't read 'em.  That's not to say that I won't create or give you the ability to create sub forums.  I'm just not there yet.

I don't think you should bother with sub-forums. What we like about the Banter is that it's a single channel of communication.  At any given time, someone may not care for the topic of conversation, but we like the people talking so we hang.  The problem with the world at large is that we have established so many options that no one ever has to listen to anyone say something they don't like.  You can change the channel, or you can go to a club that plays the music you like, or you can live your life in the blue light of a computer monitor and avoid real people.  But the inevitable result is boredom.  When you only listen to what's offered in the forum which you choose to inhabit, you inevitably get bored.  This group of people is one of two groups I bother with online.  The other is a bunch of guitar players that started out on an e-mail listserv talking about Mesa/Boogie amplifiers.  When that got stale it became a discussion of gear in general, and then we turned it into a Google group.  Like this group, it's a small group of mostly older guys with a lot of experience and expertise, who actually welcome new people even if we give them and each other a hard time.  And like this group - at least so far - each daily conversation is a single thread.  Personally, I think it should stay that way.  Ruthlessly simple, practical, and uncensored.
One happy customer!  I tend to agree.  As far as all the guitar stuff though... Zzzzzzzzz
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29