CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 10/30/2016  (Read 5279 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 10/30/2016
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »

Not looking so good for the Cubbies however.  IndianDave is going to be just impossible to live with.
To be fair, that's not much different than he already is.
True, true.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »

October 30 is … National Candy Corn Day
This evening is also known as Mischief Night, Devils Night or in my local area, Tick-Tack Night.

Celebrations on Oct. 30 are a complicated subject

What do you call the day before Halloween?

Okay, so that’s a bit of a trick question.

Surveys have found that nearly three-quarters of Americans have no name for this specific day, and the ones who do can’t agree what to call it. But that’s appropriate for the occasion—devoted to pranks, that night is the trick part of “trick or treat.”

In the U.S., Halloween Eve goes by many names, with variation even in the areas that do call it something special. “Mischief Night” has a strong presence in the New Jersey area and the coastal Northeast. In Detroit, Oct. 30 is known as Devil’s Night. Parts of New England call it Cabbage Night. Elsewhere it’s devil’s eve, gate night or goosey night.

The oldest uses of the term “Mischief Night” were in Britain, not the U.S., with the first known instance at Oxford in 1790. However, that mention, like later 19th-century usages in books and newspapers, doesn’t mean Oct. 30. Instead, that Mischief Night was the day before May Day, when young people played practical jokes such as switching shop signs, overturning water tubs and trapping people inside their houses.

Other British mentions of Mischief Night may refer to Nov. 4, the eve of Guy Fawkes Day. In 1885, a Lancashire bulletin noted that, as part of the pranks, “the youths take upon themselves to remove many of the gates belonging to private residents. They seem to glory in the sport, and appear to think they have a perfect right to do so, through custom.”

References to the Halloween-related tradition of Mischief Night start appearing in U.S. newspapers in the 1930s and ’40s, with celebrants apparently hoping to separate the wholesome ritual of dressing up and collecting candy from the custom of causing mayhem. Some argue that tensions arising from the Great Depression—Black Tuesday was right before Halloween, on Oct. 29, in 1929—and the threat of war encouraged both the trend of vandalism and the separate desire for a more lighthearted tradition. A 1937 article in the Daily Boston Globe describes children “ringing false alarms, setting fires, breaking windows, and in general doing their best to annoy people” along with a disappeared horse and wagon, leaves dumped on lawns and doorbells rung. On that Oct. 30, children participated in a fruit and vegetable battle termed the “Battle of the Charles” which required authorities to come break it up.

The holiday was mostly a nuisance, which required police attention irritatingly often, in 1975 prompting the Hartford Courant to mention, “the destruction of private property cannot and will not be tolerated. Parents are urged to warn their children of the consequences of such behavior.” But sometimes it went beyond mere annoyance: in the early 1980s in Detroit, things took a violent turn. By 1984 there were over 800 fires on the three days before Halloween, and in 1986 a curfew was imposed for anyone under 18. In the late 1980s the city began to enlist volunteers to help prevent Halloween fires.

That Mischief Night destruction ended up introducing a new term to the pre-Halloween lexicon: Angels’ Night. The idea was introduced in 1995 by Detroit officials to coordinate the tens of thousands of volunteers who patrolled neighborhoods, helping to reduce the number of fires and eventually bring them to normal levels.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

This is Jason from Verizon Wireless. You are invited to a customer appreciation event Saturday October 29th from 8am-8pm at the local Verizon Wireless store in Crystal River. 1180 N. Suncoast Blvd Crystal River FL 34429. There will be free food, drinks, and special phone promotions! Text back "Y" if you wish to attend this special event!

that was yesterday. I just recieved the text. LOL.
Bullet dodged.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »

And this one even mentions Tick-Tack night.
It was called that because we used to "raid" nearby cornfields (always rumored to be patrolled by a nasty dog and a farmer with rocksalt in his shotgun shells).  We would hoard our prize and shuck the horsecorn.  On Tick-Tack night, "gangs" of us would go around the neighborhood throwing handfulls of the corn at front windows or doors of houses.  Getting older, soaping windows and egging (and some other stuff) were added to the arsenal.  Pretty much came to an end in the 70's with race riots causing curfews and such.  But then again, Halloween as we knew it is about ruined as well (at least for kids).

Historical background[edit]
The earliest reference to Mischief Night is from 1790 when a headmaster encouraged a school play which ended in "an Ode to Fun which praises children's tricks on Mischief Night in most approving terms".[1] In the United Kingdom, these pranks were originally carried out as part of May Day celebrations, but shifted to November 4, the night before Guy Fawkes Night. According to one historian, "May Day and the Green Man had little resonance for children in grimy cities. They looked at the opposite end of the year and found the ideal time, the night before the gunpowder plot."[1] However, the shift only happened in the late nineteenth century and is described by the Opies as "one of the mysteries of the folklore calendar".[2] In Germany, Mischief Night is still celebrated on May 1.

Naming variations[edit]
In the United States, Mischief Night is commonly held on October 30, the night before Halloween. The separation of Halloween tricks from treats seems to have only developed in certain areas, often appearing in one region but not at all nearby.[3] In New Jersey's Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Warren, and Union counties, as well as in Philadelphia; Delaware; Westchester County, New York; and Fairfield County, Connecticut, it is referred to as "Mischief Night". In some towns in Northern New Jersey and parts of New York State, it is also known as "Goosey Night".[4]

In rural Niagara Falls, Ontario, during the 1950s and 1960s, Cabbage Night (French: Nuit de Chou) referred to the custom of raiding local gardens for leftover rotting cabbages and hurling them about to create mischief in the neighborhood. Today, the night is not celebrated in Ontario but is commonly known as "Cabbage Night" in parts of Vermont; Connecticut; Bergen County, New Jersey; Upstate New York; Northern Kentucky; Newport, Rhode Island; Western Massachusetts; and Boston, Massachusetts.[5]

It is known as "Gate Night" in New Hampshire, West Kootenay, British Columbia, Tahsis, British Columbia, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Thunder Bay, (Ontario), Rockland County, New York, North Dakota and South Dakota, as "Mat Night" in Quebec, Canada, and as "Devil's Night" in many places throughout Canada, Michigan, and western Pennsylvania.[3]

Mischief night is known in Yorkshire as "Mischievous Night", or the shortened "'Chievous Night" "Miggy Night", "Tick-Tack Night", "Corn Night", "Trick Night" or "Micky Night" and is celebrated across the north of England on November 4th the night before Bonfire Night.[6] In some areas of Yorkshire, it is extremely popular among thirteen-year-olds as they believe it to be a sort of "coming of age ceremony".[7]

In Liverpool, Mischief night is known locally as "Mizzy Night", but being tackled by Merseyside Police.[8]

Contemporary practice[edit]
Mischief Night tends to include popular tricks such as toilet papering yards and buildings, powder-bombing and egging cars, people, and homes, using soap to write on windows, "forking" yards, setting off fireworks, and smashing pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns.[3] Local grocery stores often refuse to sell eggs to pre-teens and teens around the time of Halloween for this reason. Occasionally, the damage can escalate to include the spray-painting of buildings and homes.[9] Less destructive is the prank known as "Knock, Knock, Ginger," "Ding-Dong Ditch," "knock down ginger," or "knock-a-door-run and nicky-nicky-nine-doors (West Quebec)."

Another popular prank in the United States is to put a small paper bag filled with dog excrement at the victim's front door, set it on fire, ring the doorbell, and run away while the occupant stomps out the disgusting surprise, thus getting it on the bottom of their foot.

In some areas of Queens, New York, Cabbage Night has included throwing rotten fruit at neighbors, cars, and buses. Pre-teens and teens filled eggs with Neet and Nair and throw them at unsuspecting individuals. In the mid-1980s, garbage was set on fire and cemeteries were set ablaze. In Camden, New Jersey, Mischief Night escalated to the point that in the 1990s widespread arson was committed, with over 130 arsons on the night of October 30, 1991.[10]

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 08:44:25 AM »

This is Jason from Verizon Wireless. You are invited to a customer appreciation event Saturday October 29th from 8am-8pm at the local Verizon Wireless store in Crystal River. 1180 N. Suncoast Blvd Crystal River FL 34429. There will be free food, drinks, and special phone promotions! Text back "Y" if you wish to attend this special event!

that was yesterday. I just recieved the text. LOL.
Bullet dodged.
Invitation was probably forwarded by folks in upstate NY.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 08:46:30 AM »

This evening is also known as Mischief Night, Devils Night or in my local area, Tick-Tack Night...
We always called it mischief night. I can't believe my parents let me go out with cartons of eggs, shaving cream, and flour socks.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »

This evening is also known as Mischief Night, Devils Night or in my local area, Tick-Tack Night...
We always called it mischief night. I can't believe my parents let me go out with cartons of eggs, shaving cream, and flour socks.
Bunch of damn hoodlums, sounds like.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »

And you would be right. We didn't set out to vandalize property so much as to vandalize one another. However, plenty of property was littered as an unintended consequence. On Halloween day, you would always see homeowners hosing down their sidewalks.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 08:59:37 AM »

Good morning, mischievous ones.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »

Wonder how WeddingCrasherFish made out last night. Probably still pretty banged up.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »

No question!

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

And you would be right. We didn't set out to vandalize property so much as to vandalize one another. However, plenty of property was littered as an unintended consequence. On Halloween day, you would always see homeowners hosing down their sidewalks.
...and washing their cars...

Then we would expect them to give us candy.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »

Probably why we didn't do anything like that the night before here, wanted to make sure we didn't ruin anyone's charitable moods.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »

A mish-mash of cigars and coozies at the Page.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:35 AM »

Looking back, that was pretty damn dumb. I remember having a ball doing it but it was so wrong and I would never allow my kids to do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4