CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Happy Hanukkah! - 12/24/2016  (Read 8003 times)

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
Re: Happy Hanukkah! - 12/24/2016
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »

Dean must still be doing nothing ::)
just got out of the lady's bed. coffee brewing, 858 maduro going.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »

good morning Daves, Scott, and Tony.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »

do you mean to tell me the Vikings couldn't pull their plane back on the runway? wimps!!

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »

Andy Rooney may have been a curmudgeon, but when it came to Christmas cards, he was no Scrooge. Rooney devoted one of his first commentaries to holiday mail, laying out different cards and pointing out his favorites.

There are the Santa cards and the simple cards — those that just say “Joy” or “Peace on Earth.” Simple cards were among Rooney’s favorites because they are, as he was, direct. 

Religious cards, Rooney said, were usually early arrivers to his mailbox, while cards with photos caused him a conundrum.  “A lot of people send out cards with their picture on them or pictures of their family,” Rooney explained. “One of the problems with these is, of course, you feel terrible throwing them out, but you don’t really want to keep them.”

Some of Rooney’s favorite holiday cards were those with images of snow and sleighs, church steeples and old-fashioned scenes. He called them the “over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house we go” cards.

But Rooney didn’t love all Christmas cards. “Christmas colors are red, green, and snow white,” he said. “I don’t want a brown Christmas card.”

That excludes most cards with birds and many cards from a particular Southern state.

“I think most of them come from Florida, some place they don’t have snow or reindeer,” he said. “Let’s face it, Florida. You’re a nice state, but when it comes to Christmas cards, you’re really out of it.”

South Carolina Redfish

• Coffee At Sunrise 🌄 and Cocktails At Sunset 🌅
  • Founding Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • “Retirement Is Wonderful”
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »

Quesada and Casa Magna with the usual junk assortment at the Page :(

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »

Andy Rooney may have been a curmudgeon, but when it came to Christmas cards, he was no Scrooge. Rooney devoted one of his first commentaries to holiday mail, laying out different cards and pointing out his favorites.

There are the Santa cards and the simple cards — those that just say “Joy” or “Peace on Earth.” Simple cards were among Rooney’s favorites because they are, as he was, direct. 

Religious cards, Rooney said, were usually early arrivers to his mailbox, while cards with photos caused him a conundrum.  “A lot of people send out cards with their picture on them or pictures of their family,” Rooney explained. “One of the problems with these is, of course, you feel terrible throwing them out, but you don’t really want to keep them.”

Some of Rooney’s favorite holiday cards were those with images of snow and sleighs, church steeples and old-fashioned scenes. He called them the “over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house we go” cards.

But Rooney didn’t love all Christmas cards. “Christmas colors are red, green, and snow white,” he said. “I don’t want a brown Christmas card.”

That excludes most cards with birds and many cards from a particular Southern state.

“I think most of them come from Florida, some place they don’t have snow or reindeer,” he said. “Let’s face it, Florida. You’re a nice state, but when it comes to Christmas cards, you’re really out of it.”
Though he be a commie he was a funny guy.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »

Doing nothing I guess ::)

Morning Dean, what is the Christmas Eve plan?

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »

Though he be a commie he was a funny guy.
always liked Andy Rooney and Charles Kuralt. thought they were down to earth guys telling it like it is.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »

Doing nothing I guess ::)

Morning Dean, what is the Christmas Eve plan?
no plans. never got the doggie decoration up so there's that and I have to frost a chocolate cake. that's about it for my day. lady making chili for dinner.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 09:24:37 AM »

Only one bowl game today, the Hawaii Bowl @ 8:00 EST

Middle Tenessee vs Hawaii

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »

doggie decoration is done. just gotta frost the chocolate cake when it's done and cooled.
just racing through my day.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »

What is with the Italian Catholic Mayor's Obsession With Hanukkah This Year ???
Just trying to be inclusive.

Merry Christmas eve, to you.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

What is with the Italian Catholic Mayor's Obsession With Hanukkah This Year ???
Just trying to be inclusive. WTF.

Merry Christmas eve, to you.
morning Tony.

A Friend of Charlie

• Founding Member
  • Proud to be a BotL
    • CigarBanter
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »

What's everybody's Christmas Eve Tradition Plans today?  I know Tony is hiding an old woman and seems like Travellin Dave hosts the family Christmas Eve dinner (Pork Roll I Assume :)). Let me guess what Dean's tradition is ::)

Since moving to Austin we go to Pappasitto's Cantino in the late afternoon for Hot Tameles and fajitas or grilled fish.   Today we will have Chicken Tamales followed by Redfish on the Half Shell with some bacon wrapped grilled shrimp.  And of course a few margarita's!
Traditions have changed quite a bit over the years. We'll be hosting tonight and having a mishmash of Italian and Cuban cuisine.

I'm making the appetizers (crab dip, bacon wrapped dates, etc.) as well as shrimp and mussels to represent some of the 7 fishes for the main course.

My MiL will be bringing over the pernil and a bunch of Cuban sides.

My brother and his family will be bringing the lasagna.

My wife's cousins will be bringing desserts.

Then on Christmas we'll be a little more intimate and wind up eating leftovers.

South Carolina Redfish

• Founding Member
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »

What's everybody's Christmas Eve Tradition Plans today?  I know Tony is hiding an old woman and seems like Travellin Dave hosts the family Christmas Eve dinner (Pork Roll I Assume :)). Let me guess what Dean's tradition is ::)

Since moving to Austin we go to Pappasitto's Cantino in the late afternoon for Hot Tameles and fajitas or grilled fish.   Today we will have Chicken Tamales followed by Redfish on the Half Shell with some bacon wrapped grilled shrimp.  And of course a few margarita's!
Traditions have changed quite a bit over the years. We'll be hosting tonight and having a mishmash of Italian and Cuban cuisine.

I'm making the appetizers (crab dip, bacon wrapped dates, etc.) as well as shrimp and mussels to represent some of the 7 fishes for the main course.

My MiL will be bringing over the pernil and a bunch of Cuban sides.

My brother and his family will be bringing the lasagna.

My wife's cousins will be bringing desserts.

Then on Christmas we'll be a little more intimate and wind up eating leftovers.
Now that is a real feast! 

Our traditions changed quite a bit after both our parents died as we both have pretty small families and they are both all spread out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6