Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Never Forget - 9/11/2023  (Read 1241 times)

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

Clark. His last name was Clark. The bootblack. I remember because it made me think of Clark Center, the heart of mass transit in Chicago, where I also spent a lot of time teaching.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

One story I always think of on this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FvRXZim7E

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

A solemn day.
I can't help feeling that if we go through this day somber, then the little rat-fucks that did it won.
I was working only 30 miles from the city at the time.  A beautiful crisp early fall day.  Neighboring towns had a lot of people that commuted into the city.  A number of which worked in the towers.  Guess it affects me differently.  Somber and respectful is not the same as crippled and fearful.  That slime will never win.
*  Tony lives even closer and was probably working in the city at the time.
I was working in Brooklyn at the time and my wife was doing an audit at #7 World Trade (3rd building to collapse but luckily without human casualty). We went to Europe on vacation and watched the surreal happenings unfold on CNN from our hotel in Capri. We both personally knew many who met their demise that day. I'll never forget them.
To my knowledge, no one I personally knew lost their lives that day - though it is completely possible I'd met people who did. I just don't remember all the names and faces of students I taught in New York. I expect there were at least some, perhaps a significant number.

If my statements offend you, Tony, because you knew so many that were lost, I apologize. That was not my intent.

I promise I do not minimize or disregard those we lost. I simply choose to remember them with jubilance, and celebration, rather than mourning.

I'm sure I've told it before, but I think often of the bootblack I used to visit when I taught in lower Manhattan. Is bootblack now a pejorative, racist term? I hope not. Surely it is more respectful than "shoeshine boy." He wasn't a boy. He called me "boss." He called everyone who visited his stand "boss." I told him I was nobody's boss. He agreed to call me "teach," but the next time I was there we had to have the same discussion.

He worked outside the south tower. I do not remember his name, and I regret that. He always remembered me, or convincingly pretended he did. So many passed him by, perhaps saw him as an anachronism, or were uncomfortable having a black man do such "servile" work for them. I didn't see it that way. He was earning a living, providing a service my grandfathers had taught me was important. Clothes don't necessarily make the man, but the condition of his shoes are a keen indicator of his responsibility and attention to detail. I could have shined my own shoes, but then Inwould have been depriving him of a customer. So when I was in lower Manhattan, I visited his stand for a shine, and I tipped generously. What I remember most is that he didn't use an applicator to apply polish. He got his hands into it. There's no particular reason to do that. It's just what I remember, and it seems to me distinctly human.

He was the first person I thought of that day. I have no way of knowing whether he survived that day unscathed. I hope he did.
I completely understand your point and am in no way offended by it.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

One story I always think of on this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FvRXZim7E
Don't have an hour now but I'll definitely check this out.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

Clark. His last name was Clark. The bootblack. I remember because it made me think of Clark Center, the heart of mass transit in Chicago, where I also spent a lot of time teaching.
Here's the list of Clarks that perished that day:

Benjamin Keefe Clark
Eugene Clark
Gregory Alan Clark
Mannie Leroy Clark
Sara M. Clark
Thomas R. Clark
Christopher Robert Clarke
Donna Marie Clarke
Michael J. Clarke
Suria Rachel Emma Clarke

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

One story I always think of on this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FvRXZim7E
I don't watch other documentaries, and couldn't bring myself to visit the site, but do watch that every year.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

Clark. His last name was Clark. The bootblack. I remember because it made me think of Clark Center, the heart of mass transit in Chicago, where I also spent a lot of time teaching.
Here's the list of Clarks that perished that day:

Benjamin Keefe Clark
Eugene Clark
Gregory Alan Clark
Mannie Leroy Clark
Sara M. Clark
Thomas R. Clark
Christopher Robert Clarke
Donna Marie Clarke
Michael J. Clarke
Suria Rachel Emma Clarke
I don't have enough information to determine whether he is one of these. I'll have to look up each one, and find what information is out there.

But I will look, because I remember him with respect. And honestly, Tony, I don't remember him with "white privilege" respect. I've been spending a lot of time contemplating what white privilege means, at the behest of my boss, Governor Jay Inslee. I don't have much respect for Mr. Inslee, politically. But he is my boss, and I do get it. Despite the fact that I voted for Donald Trump twice, and if I'm forced to again I will do it again, it is not because I'm a white supremacist or think Trump is a hero. He's not. Trump's an asshole. If the Democrat party offered something better, I might vote for it. But they don't. They just offer the same crap.

I remember Mr. Clark with honest respect.  He was earning a living.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

Connections
Puzzle #92
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

MNF will be a must watch. Not only for Rick. Been following the Jets on Hard Knocks and now I'm eager to see what Aaron Rodgers does.
Received an alert on my phone to seek shelter and not enter the venue yet if you're going to the game. The purple circle with the x is where the stadium is. (Top left corner)

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

MNF will be a must watch. Not only for Rick. Been following the Jets on Hard Knocks and now I'm eager to see what Aaron Rodgers does.
Received an alert on my phone to seek shelter and not enter the venue yet if you're going to the game. The purple circle with the x is where the stadium is. (Top left corner)
Seems like an unusually high number of games played in monsoon conditions for week 1.

Re: Never Forget - 9/11/2023

Wordle 814 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
🟨⬛⬛🟩🟩