CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: 2/8/2018  (Read 6091 times)

Threebean

Re: 2/8/2018
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »

Wonder if we'll see AWOLDean or UnderTheWeatherDave today.....?
been dealing with a lot of crap this week. on the bright side, the lady gets her implanted controller turned on today, guess we'll see how successful the surgery was.
What all is that controller hooked up to?   ;)
I was going to make a crack about the lady being implanted not by Dean, but I'm take the high road this time.
http://media.sjm.com/newsroom/media-kits/fact-sheet-details/2016/BurstDR-Stimulation--FAQ/default.aspx
Fancy!

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »

Just saw this....Thompson has been acquired by CI (actually STG).  Fine way to be classing up the brand... ::)

From StogieGuys, Feb. 2
On Wednesday, Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG), parent company of General Cigar and Cigars International, announced it had reached an agreement to acquire Thompson Cigar for $62 million. Thompson is a Tampa-based online retailer that was founded in 1915 and boasts $100 million in annual net sales and 185 employees. “I am pleased to announce this acquisition, which strengthens our position in the online retail channel in the US.,” said Niels Frederiksen, STG CEO. “Our existing U.S. online retailer, Cigars International, will, in combination with Thompson, be able to deliver an unmatched range of premium cigars at the highest level of service to the U.S. consumers. At the same time, we foresee significant cost synergies to the benefit of our customers and shareholders.”
Now there's a case of the blind leading the blind.  I'm sure we'll see "significant cost synergies to the benefit of our customers..."
so, they pay $62 mil for a company that has sales of $100 mil a year. am I reading that right? the math doesn't seem right.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:48 AM »

been dealing with a lot of crap this week. on the bright side, the lady gets her implanted controller turned on today, guess we'll see how successful the surgery was.
I was going to make a crack about the lady being implanted not by Dean, but I'm take the high road this time.
http://media.sjm.com/newsroom/media-kits/fact-sheet-details/2016/BurstDR-Stimulation--FAQ/default.aspx
Fancy!
if you remember a few months back, she had a temporary one put on with 2 leads and it eliminated 80% of her pain. she had to wait and play around with her insurance before she could afford the permanent one.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »

Super 2 and coffee. 65° and drizzle.

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »

hello

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »

Good morning all!

ss2

• Founding Member
  • Senior Status
  • Summertime!!
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »

Today's Holts Offering.  Boutique brands.  actually may be a few deals here.  http://www.holts.com/specials/1-day-flash-sale.html

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

Just saw this....Thompson has been acquired by CI (actually STG).  Fine way to be classing up the brand... ::)

From StogieGuys, Feb. 2
On Wednesday, Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG), parent company of General Cigar and Cigars International, announced it had reached an agreement to acquire Thompson Cigar for $62 million. Thompson is a Tampa-based online retailer that was founded in 1915 and boasts $100 million in annual net sales and 185 employees. “I am pleased to announce this acquisition, which strengthens our position in the online retail channel in the US.,” said Niels Frederiksen, STG CEO. “Our existing U.S. online retailer, Cigars International, will, in combination with Thompson, be able to deliver an unmatched range of premium cigars at the highest level of service to the U.S. consumers. At the same time, we foresee significant cost synergies to the benefit of our customers and shareholders.”
Now there's a case of the blind leading the blind.  I'm sure we'll see "significant cost synergies to the benefit of our customers..."
so, they pay $62 mil for a company that has sales of $100 mil a year. am I reading that right? the math doesn't seem right.
Good point on that, it's doesn't sound right.  My take is that it might be $100 million in gross sales, not profit.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »

From StogieGuys, Feb. 2
Good point on that, it's doesn't sound right.  My take is that it might be $100 million in gross sales, not profit.
Some additional issues and numbers from Halfwheel on this acquisition:

Most estimates suggest that the majority—likely a bit less than 65 percent—of cigar sales now happen through the major online/catalog retailers. It should be noted, a lot of these transactions are done in stores that companies like Cigars International, Famous Smoke Shop, JR Cigar, Holt’s, Thompson Cigar and others operate. But the important takeaway is that most cigars are no longer sold through a local mom-and-pop tobacconist.

One of those major retailers estimates that Thompson Cigar accounted for around 6 percent of total cigar sales in America. Now that 6 percent of sales is controlled by STG, which is also the company that sells your local cigar store Macanudos, Cohibas, Partagas, CAOs and others. Most problematically, it means that STG as a whole now controls over 20 percent of the total U.S. retail cigar market.

If you are an independent cigar store in Anytown U.S.A., that’s not good and it’s not going to get any better.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »

Morning Sam.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »

four electric leads in her spine.
Yea, I know, I was just trying to be funny.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »

From StogieGuys, Feb. 2
Some additional issues and numbers from Halfwheel on this acquisition:

Most estimates suggest that the majority—likely a bit less than 65 percent—of cigar sales now happen through the major online/catalog retailers. It should be noted, a lot of these transactions are done in stores that companies like Cigars International, Famous Smoke Shop, JR Cigar, Holt’s, Thompson Cigar and others operate. But the important takeaway is that most cigars are no longer sold through a local mom-and-pop tobacconist.

One of those major retailers estimates that Thompson Cigar accounted for around 6 percent of total cigar sales in America. Now that 6 percent of sales is controlled by STG, which is also the company that sells your local cigar store Macanudos, Cohibas, Partagas, CAOs and others. Most problematically, it means that STG as a whole now controls over 20 percent of the total U.S. retail cigar market.

If you are an independent cigar store in Anytown U.S.A., that’s not good and it’s not going to get any better.
Also another interesting tidbit from Halfwheel article...

"...and the anticipated sale of Famous Smoke Shop to another conglomerate that also owns a cigar company are different."

FloridaDean

• Fondling Member
  • Revered Status
  • oh well.....
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

oh. anyway, there is no outlet on her to plug a toy into.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »

oh. anyway, there is no outlet on her to plug a toy into.
Right, that's why I was going for direct stimulation.....it was a reach.
Kind of like the remote control toys...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6