Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 10:34:08 AM »

Damar Hamlin released from the hospital.  Recuperating at home.

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »

Todays's Over/Under is 6
Raz Over/Under is 8
Eight. And I'm not including myself. Rush Limbaugh used to be on this list too.

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2023, 10:36:55 AM »

Today’s birthdays:

The Amazing Kreskin is 88.
Country singer William Lee Golden (The Oak Ridge Boys) is 84.
Actor Anthony Andrews is 75.
Movie director Wayne Wang is 74.
Legal affairs blogger Ann Althouse is 72.
Writer Walter Mosley is 71.
Country singer Ricky Van Shelton is 71.
Radio-TV personality Howard Stern is 69.
Writer-producer-director John Lasseter is 66.
Broadcast journalist Christiane Amanpour is 65.
Actor Oliver Platt is 63.
Basketball Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins is 63.
Entrepreneur Jeff Bezos is 59.
Rock singer Rob Zombie is 58.
Actor Olivier Martinez is 57.
Model Vendela is 56.
Actor Rachael Harris is 55.
Tony is in here someplace...
Rock singer Zack de la Rocha is 53.
Rapper Raekwon (Wu Tang Clan) is 53.
Actor Zabryna Guevara is 51.
Singer Dan Haseltine (Jars of Clay) is 50.
Singer Melanie Chisholm (Spice Girls) is 49.
Contemporary Christian singer Jeremy Camp is 45.
Actor Cynthia Addai-Robinson is 43.
R&B singer Amerie is 43.
Actor Issa Rae is 38.
Actor Will Rothhaar is 36.
Actor Andrew Lawrence is 35.
Rock singer ZAYN is 30.
Pop/soul singer Ella Henderson (TV: “The X Factor”) is 27.
A little lower... 51.
Fixed it.

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »

Todays's Over/Under is 6
Raz Over/Under is 8
Eight. And I'm not including myself. Rush Limbaugh used to be on this list too.
But gladly he no longer is.

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »

Todays's Over/Under is 6
Raz Over/Under is 8
Eight. And I'm not including myself. Rush Limbaugh used to be on this list too.
But gladly he no longer is.
I wasn't saying THAT. I'm never wishing death on anyone. Personally, I don't miss him except he would have brought me to 9.

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »

Raz is not going to be happy this morning.  Jeff Beck is dead at 78.
I posted it on the banter last night. Spent the evening blasting "Truth," "Blow By Blow", and "Emotion and Commotion."

I am NOT happy. This one hurts more than others. All my guitarist friends express the same sentiment, and we don't really know why it hurts more.

Maybe it's because after an uneven career and a deserved reputation as a perfectionist dick in the first half of his career, he'd settled down and found focus and humor in the second half.

Maybe it's just that we aren't inundated with the weight of catalog like we are with Page or Clapton.

Maybe it's because despite being the earliest of the British guitar heroes, he never achieved the fame that the others did, and that speaks to devoted plodders like me.

Or maybe it's this: among devoted students of the electric guitar, there's a suspicion, even a cognitive dissonance around the idea that Jeff Beck might be the best. Better than Hendrix, better than Van Halen. Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Townshend, and Van Halen all established a certain sound and style and then pretty much stuck to that thing.

But with each album, Beck was different. He kept evolving, building on what he was discovering, until by the early 90s he had developed this utterly unique voice on the guitar that was all in his empty hands. It was unmistakable, and to really get the majesty of it, you have to be a guitarist. Non-players don't get the complexity of the mechanical and cognitive process of playing like Beck. There are millions of hacks who can play like EVH, but the very most expert guitarists will tell you that imitating Beck is nearly impossible to do.

And no one is doing anything remotely compareable. It isn't about speed, or two-handed tapping, or expert wielding of a slide. It's about texture, how the notes emerge from the speaker. With Beck, each note had its own texture, and he did that with just this hands. No pick, no big pedalboard, no fancy effects processors, just his hands, especially his right hand, simultaneously plucking the notes, controlling the volume knob, and working the vibrato bar. It's a miraculous display of dexterity and brains. And Beck made the guitar sound like it was human.

Maybe it is the loss of this that hurts so much.

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2023, 10:56:18 AM »

Here, listen to this, if you want to hear what I'm describing.

https://youtu.be/1hvZd0DMHVw

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2023, 10:59:00 AM »

[...]

And just like that, I'd already forgotten. Happy birthday, Mayor!

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2023, 11:00:35 AM »

Todays's Over/Under is 6
Raz Over/Under is 8
8. And I AM counting Tony.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 11:15:19 AM »

[...]

That's very well articulated. Indeed, a terrible loss.

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 11:17:04 AM »

[...]

Thank you. Woke up on the right side of the dirt so all is well. Now I'm trying to figure out what's for lunch. Purposely didn't pack one today.

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »

Potato soup in the crockpot for dinner, starting to smell all kinds of delicious here.

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 11:54:12 AM »

Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6