Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »

Deals From Our Sponsors

Atlantic Cigar Co. — All Out Kings Smash (Pack of 5, $43.13)
Cigars.com — Cohiba Blue Toro (Box of 20 + 5 Cigars and lighter, $172.65)
Corona Cigar Co. — 5 x 5 Sampler (Sampler of 25, $112.20)
Famous Smoke Shop — Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 Gran Reserva Robusto Grande (Box of 20 + Travel Humidor, $152.99)
JR Cigar — Todos Las Dias Mas Fuerte (Box of 10, $101.50)
Lighter USA — XIKAR Verano ($54.95)
Serious Cigars — Todos Las Dias Mas Fuerte (Box of 10, $101.50)
Thompson Cigar — La Gloria Cubana Estelí Robusto + Lighter (Box of 25, $99.80)

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »

Deals From Our Sponsors

Atlantic Cigar Co. — All Out Kings Smash (Pack of 5, $43.13)
Cigars.com — Cohiba Blue Toro (Box of 20 + 5 Cigars and lighter, $172.65)
Corona Cigar Co. — 5 x 5 Sampler (Sampler of 25, $112.20)
Famous Smoke Shop — Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 Gran Reserva Robusto Grande (Box of 20 + Travel Humidor, $152.99)
JR Cigar — Todos Las Dias Mas Fuerte (Box of 10, $101.50)
Lighter USA — XIKAR Verano ($54.95)
Serious Cigars — Todos Las Dias Mas Fuerte (Box of 10, $101.50)
Thompson Cigar — La Gloria Cubana Estelí Robusto + Lighter (Box of 25, $99.80)
I like this.

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »

Off for some errands then home.  I'll check in later to see if we can make page 8.... :-
Wow. Our very own NostraDavus.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »

Dean Day ❤.

woohoo.
Man, do I remember that feeling..!!!

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »

Dean Day ❤.

woohoo.
Man, do I remember that feeling..!!!
I love Mondays.
evening Dad.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »

Most Famous Bands formed since 1957:

1957
> Artist: The Beatles
> Top charting track: Hey Jude
> Top charting album: Abbey Road
> Albums sold: 178 million

1958
> Artist: Bee Gees
> Top charting track: How Deep Is Your Love
> Top charting album: Spirits Having Flown
> Albums sold: 28 million

1959
> Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival
> Top charting track: Proud Mary
> Top charting album: Green River
> Albums sold: 28 million
This is fantastic...!!!  DVD - Doobie Brothers Rockin' Down The Highway The Wildlife Concert made in 2004 and recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 …  Crack open a doobie, and crank the surround sound up on a 60" tv, and your back in the '70's...!!!  Damn, where did I leave my John Lennon Rose Colored Glasses and my Leather Vest..?
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »

Dean Day ❤.

woohoo.
Man, do I remember that feeling..!!!
I love Mondays.
evening Dad.
Hi Dean....  (and everyone else..  mostly Dave's I bet..?)
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »

wow Dave. quite the music chart. I don't remember much of the 50's, 60's, or 70's and didn't care about the 80's or 90's. now I just listen.
God, I remember the 50's....  Real pine Christmas Trees, Red Hot candy that came in prescription bottles, candy cigarettes (my brand was Kools), bubble gum cigars, bow and arrows with dart tips, I sat in my dads lap and he would let me drive the car.  The 60's ….  1st grade, Debbie Kennily, buying cigarettes and buckets of beer and the neighborhood tavern, 5 full size candy bars for $0.25 (you have to buy 4, then one to avoid tax), and did I say Debbie Kennily…?  70's....  Army, marriage, 1st real job.  80's... kids, and I can't seem to remember after kids...  haha...
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »

1980
> Artist: R.E.M.
> Top charting track: Losing My Religion
> Top charting album: Out Of Time
> Albums sold: 20 million

1981
> Artist: Metallica
> Top charting track: Until It Sleeps
> Top charting album: Metallica
> Albums sold: 63 million

1982
> Artist: ABBA
> Top charting track: Dancing Queen
> Top charting album: The Album
> Albums sold: 10.5 million

1983
> Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
> Top charting track: Under The Bridge
> Top charting album: Stadium Arcadium
> Albums sold: 25 million

1984
> Artist: Soundgarden
> Top charting track: Black Rain
> Top charting album: Superunknown
> Albums sold: 9 million

1985
> Artist: Guns N' Roses
> Top charting track: Sweet Child O' Mine
> Top charting album: Appetite For Destruction
> Albums sold: 44.5 million
Uh, Abba was formed in 1972, not 1982. They broke up in 1982.
Mama Mia...!!!

« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »

good night Dad.
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »

fucking lousy mac and cheese replacement.
The replacement is lousy too?  Thought pizza was for dinner?
I'm still trying to figure out how one f'ks up mac and cheese.
You have to use Velveeta...!
Logged

Bad Dad

  • Cigar Tycoon
Re: 10/8/2018
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »

good night Dad.
Good night Dean.....  I found some amateur burlesque on youtube, so I may have to go and watch a little tv...

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

OLDER THAN DIRT
"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levi's, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 15, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a saltshaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor. Ignition switches in the middle of the dashboard. Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall. Real ice boxes. Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner. Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Chewable Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Burma-Shave signs
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packard's
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!! Especially to all your really OLD friends....

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »

1980
> Artist: R.E.M.
> Top charting track: Losing My Religion
> Top charting album: Out Of Time
> Albums sold: 20 million

1981
> Artist: Metallica
> Top charting track: Until It Sleeps
> Top charting album: Metallica
> Albums sold: 63 million

1982
> Artist: ABBA
> Top charting track: Dancing Queen
> Top charting album: The Album
> Albums sold: 10.5 million

1983
> Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
> Top charting track: Under The Bridge
> Top charting album: Stadium Arcadium
> Albums sold: 25 million

1984
> Artist: Soundgarden
> Top charting track: Black Rain
> Top charting album: Superunknown
> Albums sold: 9 million

1985
> Artist: Guns N' Roses
> Top charting track: Sweet Child O' Mine
> Top charting album: Appetite For Destruction
> Albums sold: 44.5 million
Uh, Abba was formed in 1972, not 1982. They broke up in 1982.
Mama Mia...!!!
Good one, BD. I knew there was a good joke in there somewhere, I just wasn't as quick as you.

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »

Remember When . . ??
Aahh, the memories!
Let's go back . . . Close our eyes . . .
And go back . . .

Before the Internet or the PC or MAC.
Before the drug war and crack.
Before chronic and ritalin and dysfunctional.
Before SEGA or Super Nintendo.
Before.....

Way back . . .
I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.
Sittin' on the porch, HOT fresh from the oven bread or bisquits and butter. A time when mom or grandma would make bread and biscuits from scratch, not just scratch them out of a box of store-bought mix. (And we could snitch pieces of dough, or help push down and knead the bread, or cut the bisquits with a mason jar ring and plop them on the cooking sheet. Didn't it smell good??)

A time when the biggest thrill of the year was when Barnum and Bailey's wagons were unloaded from the train, and the Fireman's Volunteer Band came marching down the street ahead of them, on the way to the vacant lots where we watched the elephants put up the tents.

Remember . . .
Red light, Green light. Chocolate milk, Lunch tickets. Penny candy in a brown paper bag. Hopscotch, butterscotch, doubledutch, jacks, kickball, dodgeball, y'all!??

Mother May I?
Hula Hoops and Sunflower Seeds, Jolly Ranchers, blowpops, Mary Janes, Grape and Watermelon Now-Laters? (What about "Alexander the Grape," "Lemonheads"?)

When the ice cream man came jingling down the street, kids coming running from blocks around, and eatin' a 'super dooper sandwich' for a nickel.

Running through the sprinkler . . . The smell of the sun and lickin' salty lips . . .?

Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons at the Rialto, all day for 10¢. And if your allowance was a quarter, you had enough left over for 2 bags of popcorn and a soda!!

The National Anthem was played and we all stood, hands on our heart, as the curtains opened before the NewsReel and the first movie, Our Gang, the Bowery Boys, The Three Stooges.

Intermission -- for all the kids to go running for whatever they needed to do most... The best part was the cartoons, Mickey Mouse, Road Runner, Porky Pig, ------ and Bugs.

Then THE REAL DEAL -- Tarzan, Jungle Jim, Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Wild Bill Hickok, Errol Flynn, The Lone Ranger, Sky King, The Invisible Man, Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff -- OOOHHH BOY!!!

Lon Chaney in London After Midnight  Lon Chaney in Phantom of the Opera

Bela Lugosi in Count Dracula  Boris Karloff in Frankenstein
Do You Remember That???

And a pocket full of dried peas and a peashooter??

Catchin' lightening bugs in a jar, playin sling shot and crack the whip?

When around the corner seemed far away,
And going downtown seemed like really going somewhere?

Climbing trees and getting sticky fingers, and a million mosquito bites?

Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians. Runnin till you were out of breath, then sittin on the curb and watching the stars? (You could see them then, 'cause the nearest street light was two blocks away at the trolley stop.)

Sitting in an old apple tree and eating as many green apples as you could without worrying about the green apple trots.

Going shoe skating (without real ice skates) with friends on the old slough that froze over in winter.

Bedtime . . . Jumping on the bed, pillow fights, being tickled to death, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt?

Being tired from playin'.... Remember that?

Crowding in a circle around the 'after school fight', then running when the teacher came?

What about the girl that had the big bubbly hand writing??

Do you remember each of the many loves you have had through life?

Eating Kool-aid powder with sugar - didn't that taste good?
Just to go back and say,
Yeah, I remember that!
There's nothing like the good old days! They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them. One can't be serious ALL the time, eh?

Remember . . .
When there were two types of sneakers for girls and boys (Keds & PF Flyers), and the only time you wore them at school, was for "gym?"

When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up? (How about before TV, when almost all families had a radio, usually in the living room? . . . Or tickling the crystal to find the hot spot?)

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there?

When nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance, and another quarter a huge bonus? When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school, if then?

When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

When all of your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done up, everyday?

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, for free, every time? And, you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot!

When nobody was prettier than Mom. And scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box? When flour came in 50lb. and 100lb. printed cotton sacks for Mom to make pretty new dresses and blouses for your sisters? (And your boxer shorts?) {{frown}}
(August 2008 - Mom still has some of those flour sacks saved after all these years, more than half a century later, and she just told me she would make me some new shorts .... ARGGGGGHHHH!!! .... Mom is 95 now!!! (2008) And still beautiful and going dancing three times a week!!! )

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed . . . and did!

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home? Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!!

When we were taught the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution for United States in school and knew what they meant, and we said the Pledge of Allegiance every day in the first class of the morning.

When a hobo came to your door, you'd open the door and help them, never fearing for your life....you were just helping another who was experiencing rough times.

I want to go back to the time when . . .
Decisions were made by going eeny-meeny-miney-mo and mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do it over!"

"Race issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.

Catching lightning bugs could happily occupy an entire evening.

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old referred to anyone over 20.

The net on a tennis court or the neighbor's fence was the perfect height to play volleyball and rules didn't matter.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.

It was magic when Dad would "remove" his thumb.

Remember the  before your eyes and how it made them blink when Dad would thump you on the noggin, just before you went under his thumb? (Lordy, I was under it often enough!)

It was unbelievable that dodgeball wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Grampa said "Pull my finger."

Grandma would hide cookies for you.

Abilities you didn't know you had were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare".

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute ads for action figures.

Do you remember when . . . "Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?

Home-made fresh peach or strawberry ice cream from real thick cream skimmed off the top of the bottles was considered a basic food group? (You mean it isn't???!!!?)

Your older siblings were your worst tormentors, but also your fiercest protectors?

Feeling the unrelenting love and warmth that comes from hugging a fuzzy puppy while it happily licks your face away...and all you can do is just giggle.

Being really thankful for all the good things in life that you've experienced, and having the knowledge to know that bad things were secondary and temporary, and they only came along to make you appreciate the good things more.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!

And We, the Older Generation, have Survived!!!

Consider the changes we have witnessed ---

We were born before television, before penicillin, before polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, plastic, contact lenses, Frisbees and the Pill.

We were before radar, credit cards, split atoms, lazer beams and ball point pens, before pantyhose, dishwashers, clothes dryers, electric blankets, air conditioners, drip-dry clothes and long before man walked on the moon.

In our time, closets were for clothes, not for "coming out of." Bunnies were small rabbits, or dust balls under the bed, not Volkswagons, or Playboy girls. Designer Jeans were scheming girls named Jean or Jeanne, and having a meaningful relationship meant getting along well with our cousins.

Fast food was what you ate during Lent, and Outer Space was the balcony of the Rialto Theater.

We were before house-husbands, gay rights, computer dating, dual careers, and commuter marriages, day-care centers, group therapy and nursing homes. We never heard of FM radio, tape decks, electric typewriters, artificial hearts, word processors, yogurt, and guys wearing earrings.

For us, time-sharing meant togetherness -- not computers or condominiums, a "chip" meant a piece of wood, hardware meant hardware, and software wasn't even a word.

In our time, "Made in Japan" meant junk, and the term "making out" referred to how you did on your exams. Pizzas, MacDonalds and instant coffee were unheard of.

We hit the scene when there were 5¢ and 10¢ stores, where you bought things for 5¢ and 10¢. BiRite and Tripenys sold ice cream cones for a nickel or a dime, for a single or a double. For one nickel you could ride a bus, make a phone call, buy a Pepsi or a Coke, or enough stamps to mail one letter and two postcards. You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 (but who could afford one?)..and gas was 11¢ a gallon for regular and Ethyl was 13¢ a gallon.

We could recognize the "make and year" of a car from a distance, be it a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Cadillac, LaSalle, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, DeSoto, Plymouth, Dodge, Packard, Graham-Paige, Hupmobile, Cord, Auburn, Hudson, Nash, Studebaker, Willys, a host of others now gone, and of course, the Crosley. We could sit on the running boards, fenders or the bumpers. The bumpers could really withstand a bump, and an "air bag" referred to "somebody's mother-in-law," or a congressman or senator.

All the boys wanted a roadster, and if you didn't have a Duece or A-bone, you weren't "in". And the best place to be with your gal was in the rumble seat when you double dated.

You could get a FULL breakfast of coffee, juice, 2 eggs, hash browns, a slab of ham or sausage or four pieces of bacon, toast and jelly for 39¢ !!!

In our day, cigarette smoking was fashionable, GRASS was mowed, Coke was a cold drink and POT was something you cooked in. ROCK MUSIC was Grandma's lullaby and AIDS were helpers in the Principal's office.

We certainly were not before the difference between the sexes was discovered, but we surely were before the sex change, we made do with what we had. And we were probably the last generation that thought you needed a husband to have a baby... We got married first, then lived together! How quaint can you be??

It is no wonder the younger generations are so confused and there is such a generation gap today!!

But WE HAVE SURVIVED !!!!
What Better Reason To Celebrate???

Dear God,
So far today, God, I've done alright. I haven't gossiped, haven't lost my temper, haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or over-indulgent. I am very thankful for that.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9