Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »

hi. I did 2 gas and goes, just stopped to eat about 50 miles north of Columbia, SC. my butt is tired. :)
Evening Dean glad to get your butt report and hear everything else is traveling OK.  Florida Tomorrow!!!!!
going to try to make 95 before I rest.
Really appreciate the report.  Have you been smoking too?  If so, what?
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 8/27/2014
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

Carton's best is the BDG.  Expertly balanced "brown" ale.  Not the traditional brown by judging standards or anything, but yeah, the beer for about any occasion.  Really nails doing everything just right (but doesn't get the appreciation it deserves in tastings and whatnot because other stuff is hoppier or roastier).

Carton's DIPA, 077xx is a solid DIPA.  Dank, pine/resin, citrus, not too malty.  I don't drink the style that often, but I'm not against a 4 pack.

After that, I guess Hoppun or Milk for my #3.  Both are interesting entries for the style.  APA for Hoppun, and a Cream Stout for Milk.

But Boat?  Yeah, that's awful and unbalanced.  Not to give you a negative disposition going in, and enough people think the world of boat, but shit.  That is just a poor excuse for a hoppy beer.  Wisco was pretty blah, Canyon is a nice lager but again, nothing you can't get anywhere else.  Their witbier isn't even properly spiced, it's just a pale/wheat based ale, not really a wit.

Some of the tippy batches or small runs are great.  SS2014 is really good.  The Saffron Chili Saison I had was interesting.  Panzanella was pretty bad.  Jetski is a low carb version of Boat.
SS2014 and 077XX are the ones I've been wanting to try.

SS might or might not be around by time you get down here.  And you might not be able to bring any home--just depends on the day and how much is available.  I know that the 077xx cans were sold out, though they'll be canning more if they haven't already.  It'll be on tap, though, I've never see a weekend when it wasn't.  Worst case is you have to get a growler to take with you, or I might have a few cans left by then.

But no joke, their best is BDG.  It isn't flashy and it doesn't buy into any of the chic micro-brew bullshit of trying to out-hop each other or do the craziest whatever.  Rich malt profile, just enough bittering hops with a good amount of flavor hoops and subtle aroma.  They completely nailed what they were going for with that one, whereas I feel the rest of their beers are still slightly off.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Logged

glassken

« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.
Logged

Wenglish

  • Founding Member
  • Associate Status
  • **
  • It tastes like a cigar.
Re: 8/27/2014
« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.

Which one was that?

And the SL Hababo is solid.  The Toro is very nice and has aged well, but the Lancero is still far and away my favorite from the vitola.  It does that very spicy but not overly strong profile perfectly.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.

Which one was that?

And the SL Hababo is solid.  The Toro is very nice and has aged well, but the Lancero is still far and away my favorite from the vitola.  It does that very spicy but not overly strong profile perfectly.
I thought that AJ's don't age well or not is that not true?
Logged

glassken

« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.

Which one was that?

And the SL Hababo is solid.  The Toro is very nice and has aged well, but the Lancero is still far and away my favorite from the vitola.  It does that very spicy but not overly strong profile perfectly.
Quintero, Will. I smoked it sitting on a swing with a Dr. Pepper out in the Gulf Of Mexico. Wind was not too bad that day. First half--not much smoke, but good flavors. Last half good amount of smoke and even better flavors. I have not had the SL  hababo Lancero. Toro is good.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.
well it great to have you back , glad to hear that you are enjoying your cigar

« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »

Howdy all. I am back. Been pretty busy at work. Well over 120 hrs each of the last two weeks. Uncle Obama will be glad. They will get a couple thousand extra in taxes. SL Hababo 3+ years. Lets see if it is still good.
good evening Ken
Evening, Steve. This San Lotano Habano is very good. Very good flavors--I always did like that cigar. I have not smoked a cigar in a week! And, only 2 in the last 14 days. Too busy and too tired. I smoked a good little cigar that Will had sent me.

Which one was that?

And the SL Hababo is solid.  The Toro is very nice and has aged well, but the Lancero is still far and away my favorite from the vitola.  It does that very spicy but not overly strong profile perfectly.
Somewhere, there is a box of the SL Hababo lancero with my name on it.  Or half a box anyway.  I split it and a box of SL maddie lancero (non Oval) with Charlie.

« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »

[...]

I still owe you stuff from the contest (don't argue with me).  I'll include a lancero or two in the shipment.

« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »

And good evening, Mr. Miller.
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 8/27/2014
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »

[...]

You probably have them stashed away somewhere you'll remember... Eventually.
Logged

dogdays

« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »

And good evening, Mr. Miller.
and good evening to you Tony .
Logged

glassken

« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

[...]

Tony, you mean that contest that was over a year ago?
Logged

BackyardSmoker

  • Smoke is good
  • Back2Back
Re: 8/27/2014
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

Partagas black lit... Dean likes em too, so here's to dean. =)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21