CigarBanter

Cigar Banter => Daily Cigar Deals Discussion => Topic started by: CigarBanter on April 26, 2024, 12:09:59 AM

Title: 4/26/2024
Post by: CigarBanter on April 26, 2024, 12:09:59 AM
It's Friday! Any deals on the various internet sites that are worth talking about? Join in this discussion and perhaps learn something along the way. Warning: don't proceed if you have thin skin but don't be afraid to post either... And welcome aboard.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 05:57:47 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 05:59:13 AM
Joe:

Door #1 - Top-Shelf Taster Pack - 5/22.99
    1 - Montecristo White Label Rothschilde (5.0" x 52)
    1 - Oliva Serie 'O' Robusto (5.0" x 50)
    1 - Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Robusto (5.0" x 52)
    1 - Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5.0" x 49)
    1 - AVO Classic Robusto (5.0" x 50)

Door #2 - Macanudo Cru Royale Robusto - 10/37.50

Door #3 - Smiley's Spring Fling Sampler - 10/42.50
    1 - La Aroma de Cuba Robusto (5.2" x 54)
    1 - Espinosa Habano No. 4 (5.5" x 50)
    1 - Cohiba Connecticut Robusto (5.5" x 50)
    1 - CAO Flathead V660 Carb (6.0" x 60)
    1 - Oliva Serie 'O' Robusto (5.0" x 50)
    1 - San Cristobal Revelation Legend (6.2" x 52)
    1 - Diesel Whiskey Row Robusto (5.5" x 52)
    1 - Don Lino Africa Robusto (5.0" x 50)
    1 - Montecristo White Label Rothschilde (5.0" x 52)
    1 - Rocky Patel Decade Robusto (5.0" x 50)
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 05:59:59 AM
Sis:

Door #1 - Diesel 10th Anniversary d.654T (Torpedo) - 10/49.99

Door #2 - CAO Italia Ciao (Robusto) - 10/39.99

Door #3 - Gurkha Park Avenue Churchill - 5/44.99
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 06:00:35 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 06:42:04 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
Is that big Friday?
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 06:43:29 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Wow, that's HUUUUGE Friday then.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 06:45:48 AM
Can't believe the school year is coming to a close already. I know I'm always saying that time flies, but it truly feels like last month was September.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 07:12:21 AM
Can't believe the school year is coming to a close already. I know I'm always saying that time flies, but it truly feels like last month was September.
Yeah, this year especially has gone by in the blink of an eye.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 07:17:25 AM
It was a bit brisk walking the dog this morning but it looks like warming temps are on the way.

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240426/aeb1c3a2c5ac2e66a90726d8da0e859e.jpg)
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 07:29:07 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Wow, that's HUUUUGE Friday then.
Oh yeah. She gets out at 11, has a manicure appt at noon, taking pictures at 5:30 and then dropped off at the venue downtown at 6. Big doings.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 07:29:28 AM
It was a bit brisk walking the dog this morning but it looks like warming temps are on the way.

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240426/aeb1c3a2c5ac2e66a90726d8da0e859e.jpg)
Same here, but the boiler has been running all morning. Looking forward to it getting a break later.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 08:50:48 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Wow, that's HUUUUGE Friday then.
Oh yeah. She gets out at 11, has a manicure appt at noon, taking pictures at 5:30 and then dropped off at the venue downtown at 6. Big doings.
Ahhh, to be young again!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 08:51:42 AM
Planning on yard cleanup and grass seed planting this weekend. Woohoo!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 08:57:48 AM
Planning on yard cleanup and grass seed planting this weekend. Woohoo!
Nice. I cut mine for the first time this week. It was starting to look a little hairy out there.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 09:25:46 AM
Planning on yard cleanup and grass seed planting this weekend. Woohoo!
Nice. I cut mine for the first time this week. It was starting to look a little hairy out there.
My front yard definitely needs a trim. The backyard looks like a battleground and hence the cleanup and grass seed.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 09:42:28 AM
Connections
Puzzle #320
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 09:43:16 AM
Planning on yard cleanup and grass seed planting this weekend. Woohoo!
Nice. I cut mine for the first time this week. It was starting to look a little hairy out there.
My front yard definitely needs a trim. The backyard looks like a battleground and hence the cleanup and grass seed.
I wish you well in your war.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 09:55:00 AM
Strands today is tough. I've got 2 words located, but have no idea how they relate to the theme.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 10:15:08 AM
Strands today is tough. I've got 2 words located, but have no idea how they relate to the theme.
Not until I got the Spangram did it dawn on me.

Strands #54
“Staff members”
🔵🔵🔵🟡
🔵🔵🔵🔵
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 10:50:25 AM
The very luckiest of second guesses. I should probably look to buy a Mega Millions ticket today.

Wordle 1,042 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 11:01:10 AM
The very luckiest of second guesses. I should probably look to buy a Mega Millions ticket today.

Wordle 1,042 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
You can't win it if you're not in it!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 11:25:56 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Is her date going to stop by for a cigar beforehand?
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 11:29:16 AM
Today is Friday, April 26, the 117th day of 2024.
There are 249 days left in the year.

Today’s Highlight in History:

On April 26, 1986, an explosion and fire at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine caused radioactive fallout to begin spewing into the atmosphere. (Dozens of people were killed in the immediate aftermath of the disaster while the long-term death toll from radiation poisoning is believed to number in the thousands.)

On this date:

In 1607, English colonists went ashore at present-day Cape Henry, Virginia, on an expedition to establish the first permanent English settlement in the Western Hemisphere.

In 1865, John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln, was surrounded by federal troops near Port Royal, Virginia, and killed.

In 1913, Mary Phagan, a 13-year-old worker at a Georgia pencil factory, was strangled; Leo Frank, the factory superintendent, was convicted of her murder and sentenced to death. (Frank’s death sentence was commuted, but he was lynched by an anti-Semitic mob in 1915.)

In 1933, Nazi Germany’s infamous secret police, the Gestapo, was created.

In 1964, the African nations of Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to form Tanzania.

In 1968, the United States exploded beneath the Nevada desert a 1.3 megaton nuclear device called “Boxcar.”

In 1977, the legendary nightclub Studio 54 had its opening night in New York.

In 1984, bandleader Count Basie, 79, died in Hollywood, Florida.

In 1994, voting began in South Africa’s first all-race elections, resulting in victory for the African National Congress and the inauguration of Nelson Mandela as president.

In 2000, Vermont Gov. Howard Dean signed the nation’s first bill allowing same-sex couples to form civil unions.

In 2009, the United States declared a public health emergency as more possible cases of swine flu surfaced from Canada to New Zealand; officials in Mexico City closed everything from concerts to sports matches to churches in an effort to stem the spread of the virus.

In 2012, former Liberian President Charles Taylor became the first head of state since World War II to be convicted by an international war crimes court as he was found guilty of arming Sierra Leone rebels in exchange for “blood diamonds” mined by slave laborers and smuggled across the border. (Taylor was sentenced to 50 years in prison.)

In 2013, singer George Jones, believed by many to be the greatest country crooner of all time, died in Nashville at age 81.

In 2018, comedian Bill Cosby was convicted of drugging and molesting Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. (Cosby was later sentenced to three to 10 years in prison, but Pennsylvania’s highest court threw out the conviction and released him from prison in June 2021, ruling that the prosecutor in the case was bound by his predecessor’s agreement not to charge Cosby.)

In 2022, Russia pounded eastern and southern Ukraine as the U.S. promised to “keep moving heaven and earth” to get Kyiv the weapons it needed to repel the new offensive, despite Moscow’s warnings that such support could trigger a wider war.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 11:31:39 AM
Today’s Birthdays:

Actor-comedian Carol Burnett is 91.
R&B singer Maurice Williams is 86.
Songwriter-musician Duane Eddy is 86.
Actor Nancy Lenehan is 71.
Actor Giancarlo Esposito is 66.
Rock musician Roger Taylor (Duran Duran) is 64.
Actor Joan Chen is 63.
Rock musician Chris Mars (The Replacements) is 63.
Actor-singer Michael Damian is 62.
Actor Jet Li (lee) is 61.
Actor-comedian Kevin James is 59.
Author and former U.S. Poet Laureate Natasha Trethewey is 58.
Actor Marianne Jean-Baptiste is 57.
Rapper T-Boz (TLC) is 54.
Former first lady Melania Trump is 54.
Actor Shondrella Avery is 53.
Actor Simbi Kali is 53.
Country musician Jay DeMarcus (Rascal Flatts) is 53.
Rock musician Jose Pasillas (Incubus) is 48.
Actor Jason Earles is 47.
Actor Leonard Earl Howze is 47.
Actor Amin Joseph is 47.
Actor Tom Welling is 47.
Actor Pablo Schreiber is 46.
Actor Nyambi Nyambi is 45.
Actor Jordana Brewster is 44.
Actor Stana Katic is 44.
Actor Marnette Patterson is 44.
Actor Channing Tatum is 44.
Americana/roots singer-songwriter Lilly Hiatt is 40.
Actor Emily Wickersham is 40.
Actor Aaron Meeks is 38.
New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge is 32.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 11:32:07 AM
Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 11:39:35 AM
Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
8
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 11:39:54 AM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Is her date going to stop by for a cigar beforehand?
CNS, no date, just going with a girl friend.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 11:56:25 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 11:57:17 AM
Morning, muchachos.
Morning, Page2Raz.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 11:57:17 AM
Connections
Puzzle #320
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 11:58:04 AM
A bit like pulling teeth.

Wordle 1,042 5/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 11:59:23 AM
I should have seen the spangram sooner than I did.

Strands #54
“Staff members”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🟡🔵
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 12:00:47 PM
Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Twelve.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 12:06:35 PM
Guitar lady for Raz.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 12:07:09 PM
Page 3
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 12:07:41 PM
and...
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 12:20:29 PM
Connections
Puzzle #320
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟪
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 12:26:41 PM
Today's Over/Under is 7
Raz Over/Under is 10
Six.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 12:31:29 PM
Guitar lady for Raz.
Lilly is the daughter of the great John Hiatt, of whom I am a great admirer. We share an impulse to put geographical references in lyrics, something we talked about when I met her briefly in Portland. I played her a snippet of my song "Gone" which starts like this:

"I traded in the Lexus
For a beat-up Belvedere
Went from riches to a ragtop
New York City in the rear-view mirror
I dropped the top in Harrisburg
On highway 81
With luck I'll get through Knoxville
By the rising of the sun..."

She said she thought it was great, and that she knew that route. That was flattering.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 01:25:57 PM
Guitar lady for Raz.
Lilly is the daughter of the great John Hiatt, of whom I am a great admirer. We share an impulse to put geographical references in lyrics, something we talked about when I met her briefly in Portland. I played her a snippet of my song "Gone" which starts like this:

"I traded in the Lexus
For a beat-up Belvedere
Went from riches to a ragtop
New York City in the rear-view mirror
I dropped the top in Harrisburg
On highway 81
With luck I'll get through Knoxville
By the rising of the sun..."

She said she thought it was great, and that she knew that route. That was flattering.
We'll count that as the coinkydink of the day.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 01:38:42 PM
Morning, all. Happy Friday!
It's also Prom Night for the oldest.
Wow, that's HUUUUGE Friday then.
Oh yeah. She gets out at 11, has a manicure appt at noon, taking pictures at 5:30 and then dropped off at the venue downtown at 6. Big doings.
Ahhh, to be young again!
No. No. No. No. No.

I went to high school here in Enumclaw, which in the early 80s was far more of a hick town than now (and it's still a bit of a hick town). So, prom night, senior year, 1983. My girlfriend Phyllis and I are double-dating with her cousin Tim and his girlfriend Tris. Tim had already graduated three years earlier.  They asked me to select the restaurant for dinner, because I knew the big town better than they did. They wanted something elegant. I talked with Tim and explained that elegant was going to be spendy. He was working for the water department, making more money than me, so he said spendy wasn't going to be a problem. In hindsight, I should have defined exactly what "spendy" actually meant. Hindsight.

So I booked us a reservation at Henry's Off Broadway in Seattle. I advised everyone that we weren't doing the tuxedos and ball gowns thing, or we'd be flagged for hicks. No limo bullshit. Little black dresses for the ladies, black or blue suits for the guys, and we'd take Tim's car. Tim looked a bit uncomfortable in a suit, but it worked. Classy, and not like a bunch of kids pretending. The families were impressed.

I knew I was in trouble after we were seated. Tim looked at the menu, then leaned over to me and whispered, "There's no prices." That's when I realized that Tim simply had no concept what he was in for.

Fortunately, I had a credit card - a perk of being a grocery clerk and member of the UFCW. I told him I'd take care of it, and we'd settle up later. He was quite distressed to later find out he owed me $200. That was a lot of money in 1983.

I ran into Tim and Tris several years ago. He insisted they take Carol and I for dinner in Seattle. He asked me to pick the place. General hilarity ensued. I thought better of suggesting the Union Grill, and instead suggested Seraphina, which is very nice but not $100 a plate.

Prom night? No thanks. It was lunacy then and it's gotten steadily worse.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 01:52:13 PM
[...]

These days, prom includes dinner. At least, it does at their school, and if I remember correctly, so did mine. But yes, you should've clarified with Tim what spendy meant. But I suppose if you had, you wouldn't have a great story these days, so it works out.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 02:07:34 PM
Not too shabby for 60:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ageless-lawyer-hoping-become-oldest-102305085.html
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 02:12:04 PM
Not too shabby for 60:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ageless-lawyer-hoping-become-oldest-102305085.html
Not shabby at all.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 02:16:29 PM
Wordle 1,042 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 02:16:43 PM
Just about that time. Hazzuh!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 02:16:52 PM
Not too shabby for 60:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ageless-lawyer-hoping-become-oldest-102305085.html
No indeed!
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 02:48:19 PM

Guitar lady for Raz.
Lilly is the daughter of the great John Hiatt, of whom I am a great admirer. We share an impulse to put geographical references in lyrics, something we talked about when I met her briefly in Portland. I played her a snippet of my song "Gone" which starts like this:

"I traded in the Lexus
For a beat-up Belvedere
Went from riches to a ragtop
New York City in the rear-view mirror
I dropped the top in Harrisburg
On highway 81
With luck I'll get through Knoxville
By the rising of the sun..."

She said she thought it was great, and that she knew that route. That was flattering.

That's very cool. I also enjoy when geographical locations are in songs or books.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 03:00:50 PM
Not too shabby for 60:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ageless-lawyer-hoping-become-oldest-102305085.html
No indeed!
Friday afternoon.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 03:35:31 PM
[...]

That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing. I've had my share of similar experiences. One, not too long ago, when I went out with friends for drinks and oysters during happy hour. The previous two times, I had been treated. This time, I was footing the bill. Was floored when it came to almost $800 for the three of us.  :o
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: razgueado on April 26, 2024, 03:53:15 PM
[...]

They did at our prom as well. But we considered ourselves deserving of something better than rubbery chicken provided by the venue (in our case, it was the Longacres horse racetrack), provided we were willing to sacrifice the money. We were young, and we thought we had something to prove.

And that's not, in itself, a bad thing, y'know? You and I have different political views, but I know you're not the kind of guy that's going to tell your kids they have to accept only what's handed to them in the name of DEI. DEI is a baseline, a starting point, not a boundary.

We weren't rich kids in 1983. We were small-town kids with delusions of grandeur, but our parents allowed us to set our own expectations and pay the price for them if that's what we were willing to do. And we did. Our parents didn't cheerfully or obligatorily hand us several hundred dollars to indulge youthful fantasies, they let us set our own expectations and live with the consequences.

I didn't fully appreciate the ramifications until I had sons that were seniors in high school. By that time, while I still wasn't (and am not) "rich," my wife had to put me under strict orders, on pain of sexual deprivation, that I was NOT going to finance my sons' youthful indiscretions. I was NOT allowed to hand my sons $500 and tell them, "knock yourselves out," despite the fact I could easily afford it.

I don't know what wisdom is anymore. I never had daughters. Prom Night  DOES have significant ramifications, and my perception is that it has far higher ramifications for daughters than for sons. Those of you who have daughters won't benefit from lectures by those of us who don't. I have nieces, whom I adore, and every one of them is quirky, but I expect that any boy who wants to spend time with them better respect the hell out of them and consider himself lucky  if they only cost him a week's earnings. By the same token, I expect of my nieces that they not look down on rubbery chicken paid for by young men who aren't going to compromise their future by paying a bill at the Union Grill, just to impress them.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 07:35:16 PM

[...]

I would agree with that. I'm raising three strong, very independent kids. If they give even half the guff to a potential mate as they do to mom and me, I won't be worried about their future prospects. The two older ones know exactly what they want out of life over the next 5-7 years, and I have no doubt they won't stop until they get it.

The youngest is more of a wild card in that department, but she is the youngest and not in high school until the fall, so she can get a little slack there.

And I'm more than willing to let them make their own mistakes. As with most teenagers, they have a tendency not to believe us when we tell them things. So we let them do them anyways, knowing the experience will be a great lesson.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 07:40:47 PM

[...]

Parenting is the toughest job I've ever had.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 07:48:59 PM

[...]

Now there's something we should all be able to agree on.
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: LuvTooGolf on April 26, 2024, 09:10:09 PM
HC Habano²

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240427/b096090cb1997719dfd4922808091588.jpg)
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: A Friend of Charlie on April 26, 2024, 10:47:34 PM
Speaking of difficult, I struggled with today's Strand.

Strands #54
“Staff members”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🟡💡🔵💡
🔵🔵
Title: Re: 4/26/2024
Post by: Travellin Dave on April 26, 2024, 11:49:21 PM
Time to call it a night.