Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »

I would say a couple of martini's are earned tonight after a full week of work Tony.
By the way, I agree. Gonna have to go buy some vermouth on my way home... After I smoke a cigar.
the best martini's are made in the shade of the vermouth bottle.
I'll say again, the best martinis are made with good vermouth. The problem is, most people don't know what good vermouth is, and most bars stock Martini and Rossi (awful), Gallo (marginally less awful), or Cinzano (just this side of tolerable).  With those vermouths, your best hope is to put as little in as possible and plonk some olives in to kill the taste.

But use Noilly-Prat vermouth, at about 6:1 gin to vermouth, shake in stainless steel till it's colder than freezing, pour into a frosty glass, and throw in a long slice of lemon rind, and you'll know how a martini is supposed to taste.
you want NP for a dry vermouth, needs to be French, sweet vermouth should be Italian.
I like a habanero stuffed olive in my martini.
Never could acquire much of a taste for olives.  Prefer a twist myself or pearl onion in a pinch.
if you put in a pearl onion, it is now a Gibson, not a martini.
Amateurs, amiright?
I said in a pinch.  At least it's not vodka.
You could probably handle it with peach or caramel vodka.
Vodka is commie liquor. The only way to drink it is frozen in a pony glass.
I had a near death experience with Gin about 30 years ago and never touched it since.
If I gave up on every libation that led me down that road, I'd be stuck on sparkling water now.  Only thing I can't go near is Southern Comfort.   :-
On that subject Southern Comfort was bought out and they changed the stuff all up and Totally FUCT it.   It was never intended for people from Jersey to like.
When did that happen? I've got a little bottle, still sealed, from 1986, stashed in a box of mementos.
Bought out some time ago and gradually changed (cheapened it up)but recently changed the label and comes in plastic bottles now.  More changes on the shelf soon.

Southern Comfort bills itself as “the spirit of New Orleans,” but the generic grain-neutral spirit base it contains doesn’t exactly scream “Deep South character.” Parent company: Sazerac wants to change that perception and hopefully increase sales by reintroducing whiskey into the recipe and releasing redesigned bottles that will hit shelves in July. Sazerac, which VinePair notes also owns the Buffalo Trace bourbon and Bowman Brothers whiskey brands, wants to dump the “liqueur” association it believes consumers often attribute to Southern Comfort, bringing it back to its original roots by adding undisclosed types of North American whiskey in its own stash.

Edit:  According to Kevin Richards, who has served as the senior marketing director of Southern Comfort since the brand was purchased away from Brown-Forman last year, SoCo was “in danger of losing a lot of relevance.
Strictly speaking, it IS a liqueur and always was. But bringing back the basis of Bourbon can't be a bad thing.

I think I'll dig around on the web and see if anyone has a reasonably accurate recipe for the original.  That might be a good project for Christmas presents this year.
It has been changed so much now there is no going back to anything near original.

We had the wardens 60th birthday at the Woodlands Plantation which is the home on the label of the bottle you have.
Yup. Beautiful place.

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

Our UN Representative better be at the top of his game!

In mid-April, an arsenal of powerful software tools apparently designed by the NSA to infect and control Windows computers was leaked by an entity known only as the “Shadow Brokers.” Not even a whole month later, the hypothetical threat that criminals would use the tools against the general public has become real, and tens of thousands of computers worldwide are now crippled by an unknown party demanding ransom.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/12/the-nsas-lost-digital-weapon-is-helping-hijack-computers-around-the-world/

Heard about it last week. That's why you don't click on links especially if you don't know the sender.

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »

Smoked the AJFernandez Montecristo on the way home. Much better than AJ's RyJ but not as good as his Hoyo. The draw on the Monte was a bit too loose and the flavors were decent but on the one-dimensional side.

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »

Smoked the AJFernandez Montecristo on the way home. Much better than AJ's RyJ but not as good as his Hoyo. The draw on the Monte was a bit too loose and the flavors were decent but on the one-dimensional side.
If you get an opportunity to try his Hoyo de Monterrey (Hoyo La Amistad), I recommend it. I believe AJF blended an H. Upmann also but I haven't tried that one yet.

« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

Our UN Representative better be at the top of his game!

In mid-April, an arsenal of powerful software tools apparently designed by the NSA to infect and control Windows computers was leaked by an entity known only as the “Shadow Brokers.” Not even a whole month later, the hypothetical threat that criminals would use the tools against the general public has become real, and tens of thousands of computers worldwide are now crippled by an unknown party demanding ransom.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/12/the-nsas-lost-digital-weapon-is-helping-hijack-computers-around-the-world/

Heard about it last week. That's why you don't click on links especially if you don't know the sender.
My outfit paid a sizable ransom last year.

« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »

[...]

On that subject Southern Comfort was bought out and they changed the stuff all up and Totally FUCT it.   It was never intended for people from Jersey to like. :P
It was never about liking it....it was sweet, it was high proof, so got you hammered quick.

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

[...]

So you're saying it was meant to be a NOLA type variant of a Manhattan?

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »

Computer virus lull?

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

Computer virus lull?
Not martini lull because I never got a chance to buy the fixin's. Plus I was really hungry and preferred to eat my calorie.

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »

Computer virus lull?
Not martini lull because I never got a chance to buy the fixin's. Plus I was really hungry and preferred to eat my calorie.
::)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]