Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2024, 10:04:55 PM »

LT maddie

Mmmm. Haven't had one in a while. Pretty sure I can find some, if I bothered to look.
I've had these for a while, got this box back in 2015.

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2024, 10:09:17 PM »

Finally cracked this one. Sometimes you just gotta get that first word.

Strands #58
“Pour it on”
🔵🔵🔵🟡
🔵🔵🔵

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2024, 10:35:23 PM »

I like this list much better...know and like all but 2.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/11-best-prog-rock-tracks-to-test-your-hi-fi-system/ar-BB1hYFxc?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=6cd5be4c9b224a3890157f6a71b3a76c&ei=75
I'd submit that "Dust in the Wind" is not really prog, and "Red Rain" is a severe stretch.

Just because an artist is or has done prog doesn't make any particular song they did progressive. That would be a Genetic Fallacy.

"Dust" may have an incidentally Baroque structure, but so does most folk music, and the song owes more to the Beatles - specifically "Yesterday" - than to any classical or romance composers. It's beautiful, but it's pop. It's exceedingly good and clever pop, on the whole, but it's pop. Nothing about it challenges the ear, the mind, or one's expectations, which is the defining characteristic of prog.
I believe you. But I had to read this twice because I wasn't sure I understood you.
Heh. Sorry.

"Dust in the Wind" began life as an acoustic guitar fingerpicking exercise that Kerry Livgren devised for himself. It was a pattern common in folk music. Theoretically, which is to say, "according to music theory," it has a chord structure akin to music by J.S. Bach. Bach was the first prominent composer of the "classical" period and represents the major transition point from the Baroque period to the Classical period, in the same way Mozart and Beethoven ushered in the Romantic period.

But Baroque music persisted in "folk" songs for centuries, including the "folk revival" of the late 50s and early 60s in the US and Great Britain. That folk revival produced such pop and rock luminaries as Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Neil Young, David Crosby, Paul Kantner, Jorma Kaukonen, Grace Slick, John Phillips, Joni Mitchell, and others in North America, and birthed the careers of the Beatles, Donovan Leitch, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck in England (in the form of Skiffle).

Paul McCartney's classic songs "Yesterday" and "Michelle" both represent a folk influence, and are, incidentally, Baroque structures. So was that fingerpicking drill that Kerry Livgren created for himself, and at his wife's urging wrote lyrics for.

Prog music frequently makes use of Baroque, Classical, and Romance music theory. And Kansas was definitely a Prog band. But Prog music deliberately avoids or restructures pop music forms to challenge the listener. It was the Beatles who created the first progressive rock music, though they never defined themselves by it.

In my opinion, "Dust in the Wind" comes to its Baroque form by accident, and in any case doesn't remotely make the listener become versed in any particular music theory to understand it. It's just a beautiful song inspired by folk music. It's not "Prog."
I love it. Very interesting to me especially because I like that Kansas song and am a big Beatles fan.
My son Max will also be very interested in it when I feed him this nugget.
If you really want to blow his mind, show him this clip of a teenaged Jimmy Page playing in a Skiffle band, doing a classic American folk song.

This is from April 1957 which was just a few months before Paul McCartney met John Lennon and joined his band, and just shy of a year before McCartney invited his friend George Harrison to play with them.

https://youtu.be/20zIiUDlVcc?si=WpmAfxe_pZNCzUjT
That's crazy and awesome. How did you come upon that?
There's a place called The Gear Page, where a bunch of musicians, mostly guitarists, hang out and talk about music and the equipment we use. It's like CigarBanter, but bigger.
Bigger? How can that be? More than four dudes??
Yeah, but with twenty times the bullshit, too.
We could definitely upgrade our bullshit game.

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2024, 10:50:08 PM »

Connections
Puzzle #324
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2024, 10:55:49 PM »

Strands #58
“Pour it on”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

I found this one to be simple. Based on what Raz was saying earlier, what does this say about me?

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2024, 11:12:38 PM »

How quickly things change from one day to the next.

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2024, 11:34:00 PM »

[...]

Waddayamean?  I'd count 5.

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2024, 11:41:59 PM »

[...]

I was exaggerating for effect.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]