CigarBanter

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: 7/13/2020  (Read 4891 times)

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Post Whore Extraordinaire
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
Re: 7/13/2020
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »

Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
They already released their statement anyways. It said, "we didn't care about changing the name, despite people telling us for years it might have been cultural appropriation. But now that potentially losing a crapton of money is involved, we blinked faster than even WE thought possible!"

I may have paraphrased a bit. ;)
Wonder if those Cleveland people will follow suit?   ;)

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »

Let us begin week 18 of quarantine life.
Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
And Dean was out wrestling goats and transportin' turkeys.
He got more exercise than me last week, no question.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »

Sounds like Washington will be retiring the Redskins name today, with a new name to come at a later time.
I was just about to post about this. Late again.
They already released their statement anyways. It said, "we didn't care about changing the name, despite people telling us for years it might have been cultural appropriation. But now that potentially losing a crapton of money is involved, we blinked faster than even WE thought possible!"

I may have paraphrased a bit. ;)
Wonder if those Cleveland people will follow suit?   ;)
They've already said they're reviewing it, so it's only a matter of time. It was a poorly-kept secret that we only got the All Star game last year because we ditched Chief Wahoo as a logo, so the name changing is inevitable. Personally, I'd like to see us go back to the Spiders, cause the logo possibilities are fantastic.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 10:17:26 AM »

Today is Monday, July 13, the 195th day of 2020. There are 171 days left in the year.

Today’s highlight:

On July 13, 2013, a jury in Sanford, Florida, cleared neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman of all charges in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed Black teenager whose killing unleashed furious debate over racial profiling, self-defense and equal justice.

On this date:

In 1787, the Congress of the Confederation adopted the Northwest Ordinance, which established a government in the Northwest Territory, an area corresponding to the present-day Midwest and Upper Midwest.

In 1863, deadly rioting against the Civil War military draft erupted in New York City. (The insurrection was put down three days later.)

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson nominated Thurgood Marshall to be U.S. solicitor general; Marshall became the first Black jurist appointed to the post. (Two years later, Johnson nominated Marshall to the U.S. Supreme Court.)

In 1973, former presidential aide Alexander P. Butterfield revealed to Senate Watergate Committee staff members the existence of President Richard Nixon’s secret White House taping system. (Butterfield’s public revelation came three days later.)

In 1985, “Live Aid,” an international rock concert in London, Philadelphia, Moscow and Sydney, took place to raise money for Africa’s starving people.

In 2018, a grand jury indictment, sought by special counsel Robert Mueller, alleged that the Russian government was behind a sweeping conspiracy to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election; the grand jury indicted 12 Russian military intelligence officers on charges that they had hacked Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic Party.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »

Ten years ago: Vernon Baker, a Black U.S. soldier who belatedly received the Medal of Honor for World War II valor in 1997 after historians concluded he’d been wrongly denied the award because of his race, died at his home near St. Maries, Idaho; he was 90.

Five years ago: New York City reached a $5.9 million settlement with the family of Eric Garner, a Black man who died after being placed in a white police officer’s chokehold.

One year ago: A power outage crippled the heart of Manhattan just as Saturday night Broadway shows were set to go on, sending theatergoers into the streets and bringing subways to a near halt; electricity was restored by about midnight.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »

Today’s Birthdays:

Game show announcer Johnny Gilbert (TV: “Jeopardy!”) is 96.
Actor Patrick Stewart is 80.
Actor Robert Forster is 78.
Actor Harrison Ford is 78.
Singer-guitarist Roger McGuinn (The Byrds) is 78.
Actor-comedian Cheech Marin is 74.
musician Mark “The Animal” Mendoza (Twisted Sister) is 64.
Actor-director Cameron Crowe is 63.
Bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent is 58.
Actor Ken Jeong is 51.
Actress Ashley Scott is 43.
Rock musician Will Champion (Coldplay) is 42.
St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina is 38.
Actor Colton Haynes is 32.
Soul singer Leon Bridges is 31.
Actress Hayley Erin (“General Hospital”) is 26.
Actor Kyle Harrison Breitkopf is 15.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »

Been having trouble with the source site for Today in History.  Been delayed in putting up dates.  Had to use an alternate site that appears to have abbreviated it.  Better than nothing.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »

Morning GolfinRick, RecluseDave, HappyAtHomeTony and AllGreenBean.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 10:24:45 AM »

So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

Morning, muchachos.

LuvTooGolf

• Founding Member
  • Banter Elder
  • Believeland!
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:28 AM »

So what name they going to go with?  Washington DoNothings, Hypocrits, Lousy Politicians?  Elephants or Donkeys?
Can't go wrong with any of those. :D

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 10:43:41 AM »

Washington Democrats.

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »

Sounds like you need to get out? I had to chuckle I was at the stores over the weekend and anything recreational is completely Gone!
I'm pretty much only going out for essentials right now, though, we did venture out yesterday to get some shave ice. Went there because my youngest saw they were offering Harry Potter stuff, so I needed a butterbeer slush. But our county has had a spike in cases, so we're at a stage where masks are mandatory now if you're going somewhere, so not much going out for fun here.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Only going out for essentials but I'm staying active. Only golfed 3 times. Biking, dog walks, etc. I can see it now schools are trying to reopen. It's a cluster F.
Haven't golfed yet, and honestly, I don't really expect to this year. Though, have been going on walks with the kids, so trying to stay at least a little active.

And yes, the thought of them trying to open schools now is laughable at best. This thing had just started, and everyone made the right call to go remote for the rest of the year. Now, the number of cases in the country is many, many times what it was, and people are like, fuck it, I need the kids out of the house. There's just no good way to open schools, and anyone who tries is going to see a surge in cases. Maybe when teachers and kids start dying, people will get their heads out of their asses? We'll see, but somehow, I doubt it.
In Western NY we have a lot of private schools. Their future depends on reopening. They don't get all the funding from the state and many may close for good. Their operating budgets are based upon enrollment. Tough line to walk.
I suppose, if you consider choosing between keeping a school open or putting hundreds of kids and teachers lives at risk a tough line to walk.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you may have a different opinion on things if you were not able to work from home. I know way too many people out of work.
Oh absolutely, I'm lucky enough to be home, and I realize many people don't have the same ability. There's no one good solution here, but I do know that sending back the human petri dishes we call kids to an enclosed environment in the middle of an escalating pandemic is a bad solution.
I'm torn on this one too. I don't believe this should be a partisan issue. I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to work from home although I'm miserable doing it. Wish I can say I had it all figured out. Our school district sent out a survey asking what we should do in September. Not sure how I'm answering it.
Yea, but you were miserable working from the office as well.   ;)   ;D

Travellin Dave

• Fanatical Member
  • Resolutions intact
    • My Top Cigars of 2021
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »

Washington Democrats.
That will probably work after November.  Don't think Trumpf would allow it now....Issue an Executive Order preventing it or something.

razgueado

• Founding Member
  • Esteemed Status
  • KG7OCA
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »

Haven't golfed yet, and honestly, I don't really expect to this year. Though, have been going on walks with the kids, so trying to stay at least a little active.

And yes, the thought of them trying to open schools now is laughable at best. This thing had just started, and everyone made the right call to go remote for the rest of the year. Now, the number of cases in the country is many, many times what it was, and people are like, fuck it, I need the kids out of the house. There's just no good way to open schools, and anyone who tries is going to see a surge in cases. Maybe when teachers and kids start dying, people will get their heads out of their asses? We'll see, but somehow, I doubt it.
Well, yeah, but...let's do keep in perspective that the mortality rate on this thing is extremely low, especially among those under the age of 60.  So it won't be like the bodies start piling up.  The more immediate crisis will be when it sweeps through a school and there aren't enough teachers available.  That will shut things down real quick. 

But there are no good options here.  Just like the economy, you can't keep the schools shut down until this thing is eradicated.  That's a fast track to a lot of really unpleasant and dangerous scenarios that are a lot likelier than people think.  American myopia has romanticized the Great Depression, glossing how over how many people it killed and the fact that it was a major contributor to WWII.

It's all a fustercluck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7